collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 178
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16172 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13011 Posts
John S John S
11290 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Ex-Ferrari designer says Alonso no good at car development  (Read 4465 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Ex-Ferrari designer says Alonso no good at car development
« on: February 01, 2015, 01:04:07 AM »
"Great race driver, but not good test driver" :nono: Oh my. :swoon:

Therefore Nando does not compare with Ferrari’s last great driver, claims Mauro Forghieri. Can't think who he means???  :tease:   
Viva Schumi!  :yahoo:

http://www.grandprix247.com/2015/01/30/ex-ferrari-boss-says-alonso-not-a-good-test-driver/
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 01:06:43 AM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Dare

Re: Ex-Ferrari designer says Alonso no good at car development
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 02:48:44 AM »
Funny I remember a big fuss  when Alonso was at Mclaren........
seems Lewis was copying his setups.Maybe that has nothing to do
with being any good as a test driver but?????

Schumi tested in a different F1,endless testing until it
suited Michael...no can do any longer
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 12:14:16 PM »
Remember Lewis was a rookie in 07 and it's natural for him to be learning from his teammate. He's improved since.  :D

I think in the past quite a few really fast F1 race drivers had trouble setting cars up, team managers would have one development driver and the other the best quick driver he could get.

The 2nd driver did all the donkey work and then got his nose rubbed in the brown stuff when the Ace then took a second out of his best time with the same settings.  ;)

I seem to remember a suggestion that the adorable Ronnie Peterson was one such Ace, could be wrong though.  :DntKnw:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 01:36:48 PM »
I heard Fisico did a lot of the setting-up at Renault when Fernando was his team-mate, but I have to admit I never connected that with Fernando being bad at car development. It would be more accurate, I suspect, to say that Fernando knows what he likes and it's not what most other drivers like. While Michael Schumacher's set-up/development preferences took some getting used to, he had the advantage that at least some of his would-be team-mates could tolerate them. Fernando doesn't really have that advantage, as the only team-mate he's had so far that was truly OK with his style of set-up was a bloke he detested.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 06:46:25 PM »
Can't think who he means???

Rubino?   :D

Seriously, Schumi did have a reputation as being as good at setup as he was at racecraft. Alonso doesn't strike me a someone who has the proper attitude for the trial & error nature of set up work.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 07:29:33 PM »
I wonder how Button,Massa,and Kimi rate as test drives?
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 09:30:01 PM »
I doubt Kimi would be much good at test driving as he's apt to drive round any problem he finds, and has been known to forget to tell important information to his team until he is reminded by someone else hitting the same problem.

Button has a good reputation for development, though it's difficult to point to a specific car's development to justify this. That said, Button has a history of being in teams who aren't very good at listening to their drivers until all other options have been exhausted!

I have no idea where Massa fits into all this.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 07:01:24 PM »
In the age of no developmental routine, where track testing is very limited, all development is done by upgraded video games, how come someone comment that the best in the grid is not a good developmental driver.  :DntKnw:
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 12:57:58 PM »
In the age of no developmental routine, where track testing is very limited, all development is done by upgraded video games, how come someone comment that the best in the grid is not a good developmental driver.  :DntKnw:

By watching what they do.

Parenthetically, it is known that until a couple of years ago when Pedro de la Rosa was hired, Ferrari had (by luck of the draw) a serious shortage of drivers capable of using the "upgraded video games" in the format Ferrari's simulators used, basically due to inner-ear issues. (50% of people have problems getting perceived and actual gravity to balance when they're not equal. The only way to know is to test it, and what tests it are outer space, zero-g aircraft... ...and advanced vehicle driving simulations).

I suspect Mauro was looking more at Ferrari's apparent lack of direction. It happens to fit evidence we have, but I wouldn't have said it was the most persuasive bit of evidence given that Ferrari has had a revolving door for some time.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 01:28:42 PM »
I suspect the same will be said of Vettel.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 03:39:26 PM »
When Fernando Alonso joined Ferrari how much of a provision was there to test the way Schumacher used to. I am absolutely certain given that much of exposure and liberty Fernando would have proved how he would have been.

Also how much is it down to driver, if he could not improve the car in the simulator? What are the chances of simualtor being calibrated not enough to correlate with the real world. Also the generation of Alonso did not come from the time where they excel at something this much artificial.

The comments seemed to me just bad sportsmanship, and ego-centric.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 03:09:57 PM »
When Fernando Alonso joined Ferrari how much of a provision was there to test the way Schumacher used to. I am absolutely certain given that much of exposure and liberty Fernando would have proved how he would have been.

Also how much is it down to driver, if he could not improve the car in the simulator? What are the chances of simualtor being calibrated not enough to correlate with the real world. Also the generation of Alonso did not come from the time where they excel at something this much artificial.

The "amount of testing" point is a good one - Mauro left F1 well before the testing ban and may not fully appreciate its effect on this aspect of driver leadership. Not only could Alonso not test a physical car, but nor could any of the usual testers. It is unclear how much of Schumacher's development prowess in the Ferrari era was his own and how much was Luca Badoer's.

In this case I suspect 100% of the simulator issue was the driver's, but not something Fernando could do anything about (he was after all at Ferrari when it discovered it had a lack of drivers able to use the simulator back in 2011). Remember Michael Schumacher had the same problem with the inner ear issue when he did his comeback for Mercedes and it didn't exactly help him guide Mercedes onto greater things...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle