collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 234
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16165 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12997 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: VW Audi has no plans to join F1  (Read 4912 times)

Offline Scott

VW Audi has no plans to join F1
« on: May 02, 2015, 10:48:06 AM »
Even with Bernie's arch enemy Peachy Ferd (ok, not quite the right spelling) gone, the VAG group is denying the door is now open to join F1. 

In one sense they are right, Winterkorn needs to now focus on the big picture and steer the company in that direction, but I suppose in a few months once they have made the management changes he wants, they may allow the marketing and engineering departments to study what they need to put into F1 and what they would want out of it.  If that guess is right, then perhaps an announcement near the end of the season on how they would want to enter F1 (as an engine manu or build or buy a full team - the latter is my guess, they don't want any chance of some other management screwing things up).  I would guess a 2017 entry, which would tie in nicely with a yet to be negotiated engine regulation change, putting VW on the same footing as the others. 

A tie in with RBR would be a natural fit of course, maybe they would even keep current management (sans Marko of course) in place and Red Bull could even keep their stickers on the car as a team sponsor. 

All in all, it is always funny to hear about a press release full of denials...

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/218195/1/no-plans-for-audivw-to-enter-f1.html

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

Re: VW Audi has no plans to join F1
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 01:49:34 PM »
VAG already has two marques in the more technically advanced WEC (Porsche & Audi). Until the FIA finishes destroying that series, I see no incentive for them to step down to F1.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 03:01:57 PM »
I think it boils down to audience.  F1 is still top of the heap in motorsports...I think.  :DntKnw: :DntKnw:

Offline Irisado

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 04:07:31 PM »
VW Audi has been saying that it won't enter Formula 1 for as long as I can remember.  I cannot see this position changing in the near future.  I just don't see sufficient benefit for them, based on how committed they are to other forms of motorsport.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 10:04:44 PM »
The biggest obstacle to VW getting into F1 has ALWAYS been Ferdinand Piech.  If he and Bernie weren't enemies, then VW would have been in F1 a decade ago.  They could easily absorb an F1 program into their marketing budget.  Audi has its foot in the supercar market, and F1 as a platform to market to that sector is appealing.  They are pushing forward with the Porsche brand in WEC, and since it doesn't make sense to compete against each other, the natural move would be to put Audi into F1.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 01:01:05 AM »
All of Audi's branding has been emphasizing high tech. Their slogan has been "Vorsprung durch Technik." I don't see them backsliding into a lower tech series like F1 has become.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 08:53:32 AM »
All of Audi's branding has been emphasizing high tech. Their slogan has been "Vorsprung durch Technik." I don't see them backsliding into a lower tech series like F1 has become.

Not sure how long they want to fund all the teams on the podium, like Belgium yesterday.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 01:49:46 PM »
I'll bet that both WEC teams cost them less than one front rank F1 team would.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Philbe

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 08:55:45 PM »
I'm with Cos...I think Audi winning Le mans has sold them more cars than any F1 win could. It shows the company direction and the fact they do not have any limitations on technology now why would they get involved in a series with a bigger rule book than the NYC phone book.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 03:51:37 PM »
I'm with Cos...I think Audi winning Le mans has sold them more cars than any F1 win could. It shows the company direction and the fact they do not have any limitations on technology now why would they get involved in a series with a bigger rule book than the NYC phone book.

We know that the current engine spec was written to make Merecedes happy.  I don't see why the rules couldn't be rewritten to make Audi happy.

As for marketing, perhaps it's a Canadian bias, but I don't know that many people would buy a luxury car based on a single race in France.  Formula One is a worldwide brand, WEC is not.  (Of course I don't really imagine anyone buying a Mercedes because Hamilton won the WDC either)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 09:17:18 PM »
Audi bills itself as a performance luxury brand. Only Indy could rival LeMans as the most widely recognized race in the world.

Rewriting the rule to suit Audi would absolutely honk off Merc & Honda (and maybe Renault). They seem intent on trying to a silk purse out of the ultimate sow's ear of engine configurations - the V6.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 10:51:25 PM »
VW/Audi would join F1 for the same reasons any manufacturer joins F1 - marketing.  And especially in Audi's case, there really isn't any reason they couldn't handle both programs...they've easily got the cash.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 11:00:44 PM »
Audi bills itself as a performance luxury brand. Only Indy could rival LeMans as the most widely recognized race in the world.

Now we know you likes a joke Cossie but worldwide F1 dwarfs Le Mans. ::)
Now you can't buy WEC cars in showrooms anymore than an F1 car - it's all in the power of marketing perception. Audi's are bought by accountants and big Mercs by decision makers, maybe that's why Audi settles for a lower cost series.   

Oh and Indy is now just a US race that once was glamorous and admired around the world, but sadly has become just a regional jewel for you Americans. - A bit like your Superbowl really, billed as a world event but truly just appealing to Americans at home or abroad and Yankophiles at large.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Monty

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 11:30:38 AM »
If I'm honest I do not really understand why Mercedes and Renault are in F1 but clearly Honda thought there was value in joining the F1 club.
If it works for these big brands then surely it would work for VAG.
Having said that, BMW have kept out of all of the major (non-saloon) racing series and it doesn't seem to have done them any harm!.
Personally, I feel that if more big brand / big money teams come into F1 it can only be good for the sport. From a marketing point of view VAG could see benefit in having a Porsche engined car competing with Ferrari or an Audi engined car fighting Mercedes. Fingers crossed  ;)

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 12:05:52 PM »
Outside this forum, I don't think I have EVER met even a casual WEC fan, while I've met plenty of F1 fans (I know, meeting people at GP's don't count).  I doubt more than a handful of Audi's or Porsche's are sold as a result of WEC marketing. 

Just sayin'...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle