collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 232
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16168 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13004 Posts
John S John S
11284 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: New Top Gear Cast  (Read 5340 times)

Offline cosworth151

New Top Gear Cast
« on: May 05, 2015, 02:17:10 PM »
How about “Life on Mars” actor Philip Glenister, Jodie Kidd from “Classic Car Show” and racer and TV personality Guy Martin?

http://autoweek.com/article/car-life/meet-your-new-top-gear-hosts

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Ian

Re: New Top Gear Cast
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 02:28:22 PM »
Glenister I've never heard of, Kidd, a model, say no more, Guy Martin, brilliant down to earth bloke, mad as a hatter.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 09:26:42 PM »
Well it won't be Top Gear.  :nono:

They'll have to name it 'The new Top Gear' like when they decided to remake The Avengers.

'The New Avengers' was a weak comparison to the original show which Patrick Macnee teamed with a beautiful but capable woman; first Honor Blackman, then Diana Rigg, and finally Linda Thorson. When they created the different team line up, i.e. two men and one woman, it just seemed too interfered with, and most of us loyal viewers started to drift away.  ::)

Sounds more like pot stirring from someone for these names to be bandied about in this way, all three names have been mooted as favourites at the bookies for some time.     

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 10:31:35 PM »
Won't be hard to make it better.  Looking forward to it.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 11:34:14 PM »
Well it won't be on my tele, I hope the BBC catches terminal influenza over it.  >:D

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 10:57:32 AM »
The BBC would be mad to try and recreate the Top Gear format. If you try and make two things the same then they are easily comparable and one of them will come off worse. It sure won't be the original Top Gear.

The BBC must have a completely new format, new presenters and big fat cheque book. Then all they need to do is keep everything crossed!

Has anyone been watching For The Love Of Cars on BBC? Good program in my opinion.

Wiz
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 12:21:03 PM »
The BBC would be mad to try and recreate the Top Gear format. If you try and make two things the same then they are easily comparable and one of them will come off worse.

I agree. Just look at the U.S. version of Top Gear. On the other hand, anything would be better without Clarkson. It's too bad Hammond & May didn't stay on.

I hadn't heard of For Love of Cars until I was reading the bios on the new cast. I looked up a feature they did on MG TC Midgets. Very good! I'll look for more.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Ian

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 01:07:33 PM »
In my opinion Clarkson and May made the programme, think it's been said before, Hammond was just like a puppy dog, apart from that though the show worked brilliantly.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 03:13:50 PM »
Well it won't be Top Gear.  :nono:

They'll have to name it 'The new Top Gear' like when they decided to remake The Avengers.

'The New Avengers' was a weak comparison to the original show which Patrick Macnee teamed with a beautiful but capable woman; first Honor Blackman, then Diana Rigg, and finally Linda Thorson. When they created the different team line up, i.e. two men and one woman, it just seemed too interfered with, and most of us loyal viewers started to drift away.  ::)

Sounds more like pot stirring from someone for these names to be bandied about in this way, all three names have been mooted as favourites at the bookies for some time.   

American TV is full of examples of successful TV shows that retain the name while changing up the people involved:

The Tonight Show is probably the biggest example. 

The Daily Show has made Jon Stewart pretty much a household name, even though he was a replacement (and is set to be replaced again)

In terms of disastrous show exits, 2 and a Half Men carried on just fine without 1 and 1/2 of its stars.  (Don't ask me why, I've seen maybe 5 episodes total)

In the automotive world no one seems to think that Ferrari should be renamed because Enzo Ferrari is no longer running Ferrari, or have a problem that the Dodge brothers' family have nothing to do with Dodge

Whatever the show ends up being, it will succeed or fail on its own merits, not its name.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 03:52:57 PM »
How many major cast changes did the original Law & Order have during it's 20 year run? The quality of the program remained among the highest.

I'm still taking a wait-and-see attitude with the new cast, whomever they may be.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 05:17:51 PM »
Jeri, I think Stewart actually made the Daily Show...before him I don't think many people had ever seen it.

and Cos, 100% agree they cannot try to duplicate Top Gear.  The US version is embarrassing to watch.

No, they need to create something new, but really the cars were the stars in my opinion, along with the wizards who put together the fantastic productions behind the scenes.  The idiots driving them - I'm not bunching Stig into that group - were merely decoration.  Come on, there wasn't a decent interview by Clarkson in the past 5 years - all fluff and patronage.  Hammond was probably the best driver of the three, while May wasn't much better than my wife (and that's being generous). 

I can't wait for the new show and am anxious to see how good it will be.  Sure, it could tank, but I think like it has been said, if it doesn't work it will be because they are trying to recreate too much of the old show, with some silly relationship they think the three stooges had together.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 09:47:13 PM »
Chris Evans confirmed as the new host, despite numerous statements saying he would never take it. Not sure who the other presenters are yet but it will not be Hammond and May.

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 12:31:39 PM »
The final episode featuring Jc will be aired later this month.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 02:17:30 PM »
Here's the trailer for it:

― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle