collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 318
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16166 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12999 Posts
John S John S
11281 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Hamilton not #1?  (Read 4349 times)

Offline Jericoke

Hamilton not #1?
« on: May 11, 2015, 03:50:04 PM »
I don't know why I hadn't noticed earlier, but Hamilton has been using #44 (his 'personal number') this season, instead of the #1 he is entitled to use.

While I'm personally a fan of the assigned numbers, I am curious why a WDC wouldn't want that #1.  There is no greater symbol of respect that can be earned in the world of sport. 

(Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of equal, or even greater titles, but Usain Bolt doesn't race wearing his gold medals, Rodriguez or Muller aren't on the pitch sporting their golden boots)

Offline F1fanaticBD

Re: Hamilton not #1?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 04:06:08 PM »
I have seen Valentino Rossi not giving up his famous 46 after multiple championship, and I also think it improves his branding image as 44..
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 04:36:42 PM »
I agree BD.  It's just a sticker after all.  Not as if he goes around pulling people over to his car to make them admire the pretty number one or anything.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 06:24:10 PM »
I can certainly guess why (I'd even wonder if Hammy was the one who suggested it), but I was wondering if anyone had heard anything?

Surely given the F1 press is so gifted at making a mountain out of a molehill someone somewhere has asked this question?

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 06:33:21 PM »
It was Lewis' idea, because he considers #44 to mean more to him than #1. I haven't seen any member of the media object to this reasoning in any way.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 08:56:23 PM »
As Ali just said, it was his idea. He says that he has used that number since his karting days.

He said that his pantomime baseball swing after winning Bahrain was a tribute to another famous #44, Hammerin' Hank Aaron.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 01:19:11 AM »
Saw Hank Aaron play in spring training in Scottsdale too long ago to even think about. he spent a considerable amount of time signing autographs before and after the game as well. Class gentleman. bary Bonds couldn't carry his equipment bag, he is not worthy.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 03:18:36 PM »
It was Lewis' idea, because he considers #44 to mean more to him than #1. I haven't seen any member of the media object to this reasoning in any way.

Sorry, I meant to suggest that personal numbers as a whole was Lewis's idea, not the choice to retain 44 when he's entitled to 1  (obviously that was his choice)

I am surprised that given the history of #1 in motorsports someone at some point must have at least questioned a champion eschewing such a long standing tradition.  I even remember debates on this very board against the idea of drivers retaining a number.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 11:01:50 AM »
Call me old fashioned but the No 1 has been earned and is awarded for the simple reason of attaining the championship and should therefore be used.

They really should have inserted a clause that the No 1 must be used, unless of course the driver has retired or does not take part for any other reason. I mean why bother reserving the No 1 if they don't use it?  >:(   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 04:55:06 PM »
Na, that sounds too much like a rule just for the sake of having a rule.  I can't read the number on TV whether it's 44 or 1, so who really cares?

Online lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 04:57:11 PM »
I am a bit tired of Lewis and his perpetual fixation with "branding".
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 05:57:11 PM »
Na, that sounds too much like a rule just for the sake of having a rule.  I can't read the number on TV whether it's 44 or 1, so who really cares?

Yes, but younger eyes can...

Which drivers do you think would stick by their number, and which would switch to #1?

Obviously Vettel would switch to 1.   I'm sure Alonso would too.  Probably Kimi, but it depends on how much trouble is involved.

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 09:34:08 PM »
I don't think Kimi would really care of the ones you mention.  But you are probably right Lonny, nobody takes branding more seriously than Lewis.  Somebody has talked a good talk to him, but I don't think he will become the next Beckham or anything.  He'll make more money lending his name to F1 sponsors than anything else.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 12:08:00 AM »
Kimi has the number he has because he couldn't be bothered to pick a different one from the one he had the previous system. His dislike of change makes me think he'd stick with #1.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015, 02:43:05 PM »
I think the majority of drivers would take the #1. Certainly any first time WDC would wear it proudly.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle