collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 578
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Engine Sounds  (Read 5124 times)

Offline Jericoke

Engine Sounds
« on: June 05, 2015, 09:37:17 PM »
This is my first f1 race so I cant compare directly with pat engine sounds but I was surprised how easy it was easy it was to tell the engines apart. 

Mercedes plants were running cool and smooth and you could tell that Lewis and Nico have them under control while the Lotus drivers were working desperately to get the most out of them.

The Renault engines sounded powerful but kind of messy with a lot of pops associated with turbos. 

The Ferraris and Saubers sounded smoother than the Renaults but poppee louder.  The Manors sounded louder yet rougher than the other Ferrari teams. Are they using an older spec?

Finally the Honda engines were a mess. Low revving and turbo popping like mad.  Listening to people around me there was a consensus that they sounded awful... but it was easy to pick out the Hondas

We were maybe 100 feet from turn 6 as cars accelerated into turn 7.  It was easy to talk conversationally... and easy to over hear conversations within about 20 feet of me

Offline Andy B

Re: Engine Sounds
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 10:10:51 PM »
I quite agree Jeri they all sound different and I am able to tell the difference to yesteryear and they are not as loud as previous turbo's and cannot be compared to V10's and V8's. I have to admit even though they are louder than I expected they need to be louder and faster so bring on 2017.
I left stand 11 where I have this fantastic view of turns 1 and 2 and the pit exit I'm sat in amongst a great group of people who have been in those seats for 20 years and have made me very welcome and have enhanced this race for me. I can obviously see why they have sat there for the last 20 years and am looking forward to the start and race tomorrow.
I was standing at turn 6 as I left today Jeri while the Ferrari race was on you cannot miss me I'm the one in the Canada GP hat! :good:
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 02:45:37 AM »
I was worried that the other races would be louder than f1 but the Ferrari Challenge was quieter than i expected

The formula 1600 sounded great for a jr forrmula though

I was the big girl in white. My husband in a bright green shirt.  Must've just missed you!

Offline Andy B

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 12:21:08 PM »
I was worried that the other races would be louder than f1 but the Ferrari Challenge was quieter than i expected

The formula 1600 sounded great for a jr forrmula though

I was the big girl in white. My husband in a bright green shirt.  Must've just missed you!

I'll be going past there twice today so will look for you or at least ask for Jeri!

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 02:56:17 PM »
I have never heard one of the new engines live but heard plenty of older F1 cars at both Goodwood events, the Maclaren always sounded distinctive and you new which car would appear next on the hill climb without any announcements . The thing that really showed me the difference sitting on the couch watching, was hearing the crowd and the tyres. 

Offline Andy B

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 01:29:24 PM »
The McLaren sounds distinctive now it sounds terrible!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 03:10:29 PM »

Oh I know!  I thought that Honda was making progress.  The FIA needs to find a way to let suppliers fix their engines.

Even all the people who were just at F1 to be part of the party, or because they were dragged along with friends or spouses noticed how awful the McLarens sounded.

No other organization in the world forces suppliers to use substandard equipment.

Pinnacle of motorsports my ass.  >:(

Offline Andy B

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 09:42:20 PM »

Oh I know!  I thought that Honda was making progress.  The FIA needs to find a way to let suppliers fix their engines.

Even all the people who were just at F1 to be part of the party, or because they were dragged along with friends or spouses noticed how awful the McLarens sounded.

No other organization in the world forces suppliers to use substandard equipment.

Pinnacle of motorsports my ass.  >:(

To be fair Honda have come in a year early which was their choice so I have no sympathy but the FIA/Formula One needs to improve the show overall which 2017 is the deadline, wider cars, bigger tyres, more down force, 1000 bhp and the cars harder to drive which will sort the men from the boys.
I wait in anticipation.

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 08:21:10 AM »
I an looking forward to the new cars, hopefully an immediate improvement. But another massive expense for the teams. Evolving a chassis is expensive enough.  The money for the teams has to be more fairly distributed.

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 02:15:18 PM »
Different engines have always had some distinctive sound characteristics - always.

They still do; however, it is almost like not being at a Formula 1 race when earplugs are not needed.  That is how it is right now - no hearing protection required, except for the Porsche Cup and Ferrari Challenge races.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 03:08:55 PM »
Different engines have always had some distinctive sound characteristics - always.

They still do; however, it is almost like not being at a Formula 1 race when earplugs are not needed.  That is how it is right now - no hearing protection required, except for the Porsche Cup and Ferrari Challenge races.

I was bringing it up as a point that it's much more distinctive live than on TV.

Personally, I liked the party atmosphere that being able to actually talk with people around me the quieter engines provided.  Quite frankly, if we had to spend two hours sitting in isolated silence with ear protection as the cars went around in procession, it would have become old fast.

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 03:53:49 PM »
Personally, I liked the party atmosphere that being able to actually talk with people around me the quieter engines provided.  Quite frankly, if we had to spend two hours sitting in isolated silence with ear protection as the cars went around in procession, it would have become old fast.

LOL...  Exactly what I was saying after Barcelona last year.  The best part of that race was that we could discuss the race while it was going on.  Previously I had only been at GP's alone (wasn't sitting anywhere near Ian the year we were at Monza), so didn't feel the need to talk to people around me, but it was a treat to do that at Barcelona where we were a group.

But I do miss the wail of the old V8's and V10's...there really is no sound like that, just wish I could have both worlds (ear protectors with two way radios I guess).
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 04:32:11 PM »
Sorry I missed the point to the live verses tv.

I too enjoy being able to have a conversation during the race, and having one with the V-8, V-10/12s left me a bit hoarse.  The sound was just part of the excitement - it let me know that I was at a race instead of watching it on TV and unable to control the volume.

I get it though - party atmosphere ...
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle