collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 272
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16175 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13015 Posts
John S John S
11290 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Red Bull look to Ferrari for 2016 engine supply  (Read 5360 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Red Bull look to Ferrari for 2016 engine supply
« on: June 17, 2015, 08:05:10 PM »
Red Bull weighing up shock switch to Maranello power next year.

Sport Bild claims that, fed up with works partner Renault’s poor reliability and performance in the new ‘power unit’ era, Red Bull has been in talks with its arch-rival Ferrari.

While a switch to Ferrari would be sensational, Red Bull was powered by Maranello-built engines before, in 2006. A year later, junior team Toro Rosso also began to use customer Ferrari power.

In its latest edition, Sport Bild claims Ferrari is indeed willing to facilitate Red Bull's return to Italian power for 2016.

However, the Red Bull-owned team would reportedly have clear ‘B’ status, including a specification of engine 20-30 horse power behind the works Ferrari team.

But Red Bull’s Helmut Marko said: “Even a B-version of the Ferrari would be better than the A-version of the Renault.”

I guess the price of escape from the Renault contract for 16 could be to trade in STR as a new Renault team, obviously only if Renault feel there is enough strength in depth with an Italian based F1 team - which is a big stumbling block I would suggest. 

Will Herr Marko's RBR be jumping out of the frying pan into a bucket of luke warm water though if Renault manage to turn their engine around for the 16 or 17 seasons.  ;) 

« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 08:08:10 PM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Red Bull look to Ferrari for 2016 engine supply
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 08:14:54 PM »
I would think twice about partnering with someone who will so freely bad mouth a struggling partner.  I can already hear the complaints that the B Ferrari engine is 'more like 80 hp down, not 20'.

We all foresaw a disaster with limited engine development rules accompanying a new formula.  I know that this rule was put in place to keep Mercedes in the sport, but with the German GP gone,F1 interest continuing to wane in Germany, and the omnipresent 'board of Daimler' threatening to pack up anyway I think that the days for German Appeasement (apologies for a heavy handed metaphor) are over.

I think the RBR would happily work with Renault to built a new power unit.  I think that Honda and McLaren would lay out what it takes to run some in season tests.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 04:56:29 PM »
Exactly.  Keep Merc or ditch the engine dev rules.  My vote would be to ditch Merc.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 06:28:41 PM »
The trouble is that ditching Merc means probably losing two teams (assuming a third team got the spare Renault supply the other one managed to get the Honda customer supply). There are no longer enough supplies to go round for F1 to get away with not appeasing every single manufacturer still in it.

Though the Ferrari rumour makes me wonder - is Haas as solid as it looks? (That's the unaccounted-for Ferrari supply, and if it made the grid Ferrari would have 4 teams - Ferrari, Sauber, Manor and Haas - doubt it would be allowed to make it five with Red Bull).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 08:09:36 PM »
The trouble is that ditching Merc means probably losing two teams (assuming a third team got the spare Renault supply the other one managed to get the Honda customer supply). There are no longer enough supplies to go round for F1 to get away with not appeasing every single manufacturer still in it.

Though the Ferrari rumour makes me wonder - is Haas as solid as it looks? (That's the unaccounted-for Ferrari supply, and if it made the grid Ferrari would have 4 teams - Ferrari, Sauber, Manor and Haas - doubt it would be allowed to make it five with Red Bull).

How long are Renault and Honda going to stick with losing programmes that have no possibility of improving?  If I have to choose between 1 supplier or 2.... I'll take 2.

It would be troublesome to lose a team like Mercedes who can trace their lineage back to the 70s, but if they can follow Honda's model of supporting management buy out, LaudaF1 or Wolfe Racing would be worthy additions to the grid.

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 12:02:06 PM »
Honestly, the engine rules are going to destroy F1.  That will be a legacy also shared by Merc.  I don't even think there is time to turn it around.

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 03:33:29 PM »
Honestly, the engine rules are going to destroy F1.  That will be a legacy also shared by Merc.  I don't even think there is time to turn it around.
Listening to some comments on Facebook and such it looks like the destruction has begun. There are a lot of negative comments and disillusioned people right now. And looking at JB's 25 place penalty it's getting ridiculous, tomorrow he will have to start from the Nubergring.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 09:13:20 PM »
And looking at JB's 25 place penalty it's getting ridiculous, tomorrow he will have to start from the Nubergring.

:DD :DD :DD :DD

No that's where Nando starts from, Jens has to go back all the way to Woking.  :D :tease: 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 10:15:42 PM »
:DD :DD :DD :DD

No that's where Nando starts from, Jens has to go back all the way to Woking.  :D :tease: 
[/quote]
Woking? Or would he be better walking

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 05:12:20 AM »
I rather like the new power units, hybrids are all the rage. They could sound a bit more racy. But, this limit on development and limited number of engines is ridiculous. Not only in racing, but in the auto industry, development is the lifeblood. And I doubt Honda or Renault are saving money blowing up engines every week. Enough is enough.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 11:01:42 PM »
I rather like the new power units, hybrids are all the rage. They could sound a bit more racy. But, this limit on development and limited number of engines is ridiculous. Not only in racing, but in the auto industry, development is the lifeblood. And I doubt Honda or Renault are saving money blowing up engines every week. Enough is enough.

I know that the current formula isn't universally loved, but here we're just discussing the development freeze

Mercedes won't let the rules slide.  They got it right following the rules, so they say it's not fair they should be forced to spend more money.  They don't seem aware that by freezing out their competitors they're freezing out fans.

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 09:18:18 AM »
Save the sport, make engine development wide open starting today.  To heck with Mercedes. 

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 11:06:44 AM »
I agree Scott, something must be done and quickly

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 01:12:53 PM »
We said in chat that it was probably better that Alonso crashed so he wouldn't have to have to finish last (not that he would have finished, but anyway...).  CEO of Honda tagging along behind Bernie like a little puppy dog, how embarrassing was THAT?  He should have had Bernie by the ear.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 03:58:30 PM »

Haas apparently is going to have various bases in different countries for building the cars.  That sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.  I'm not sure how much confidence I'd have in that project if I were on Ferrari's management team.

As for Red Bull turning to Ferrari, it wouldn't be unprecedented, and given the relationship with Toro Rosso in previous seasons, I wouldn't rule it out.

The engine rules are a mess, however, the main issue here is the cost and the penalty system rather than the engines themselves.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle