collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 579
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Tony George on "Tiregate," Ten Years Later  (Read 2743 times)

Online cosworth151

Tony George on "Tiregate," Ten Years Later
« on: June 19, 2015, 04:04:49 PM »
Tony George talks about the 2005 U.S. Grand Prix tire debacle, ten years later.

I was there the entire week-end. By Saturday afternoon, rumors were flying all over Indy about what would happen. Race day, our seats were straight across from the Pagoda. While the cars were sitting on the grid, I could look through the passage by the tower and see a long line of police & Marion County Sheriff's deputies walking by. I remember thinking, "This isn't good."

Still, most of us thought everything had been worked out when the reconnaissance lap started. We were all stunned when most of the cars pulled into the pit lane & into their garages.

I agree with Tony in hoping that the race will someday return to Indy. It's still the best venue in the country for F1.

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/ten-years-after-michelingate-indy-tony-george-reflects-f1s-prospects-usa

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

Re: Tony George on "Tiregate," Ten Years Later
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 04:42:49 PM »
I would like to see a change in the FIA/FOM in how they choose partners for promoting a race.  Perhaps IMS is unique in being the only track in the world that also manages a major series, but many F1 countries have local series that draw well.  Why not work with them to make sure the best fan experience can be had?

Whatever one thinks of George, he knows US racing fans better than anyone at the FIA, better than anyone at COTA.  Surely the people behind DTM can help put the lustre back on F1 in Germany, for example.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 04:52:32 PM »
Because a good fan experience includes getting good value for money, but if anyone gets that, then Bernie and CVC aren't getting enough.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline d-type

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 09:01:59 PM »
Because Bernie and his banker partners couldn't give a toss about real fans -  The TV revenues is all that matters to them.
But, having said that, the entire Formula 1 circus dropped a big one at Indianapolis.  They succeeded in totally alienating US fans.
Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle