collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 595
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Are Red bull trying to hold F1 to ransom with quit threat?  (Read 3949 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Are Red bull trying to hold F1 to ransom with quit threat?
« on: September 23, 2015, 11:42:05 PM »
If so Mateschitz clearly doesn't know Bernie at all.  ::)

Red bull are now saying they will pull the plug on both their F1 teams if they don't get the same spec engines, including software and fuel tech as Scuderia Ferrari.  :crazy:

There's no way head honcho Marchionne will allow Maranello to give everything to the MK "Garagistas", especially now they've found winning ways again.  :nono: 

Presumably Mateschitz is expecting Bernie to convince Ferrari to give them what they want - some chance.  :P

It seems to me, and probably anyone who has had dealings with him, the more you turn the screw on Mr E the more he'll dig in.  ;)  Looks likely there may only be 18 cars on the grid next year.  :(
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 11:43:55 PM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Dare

Re: Are Red bull trying to hold F1 to ransom with quit threat?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 01:23:15 AM »
RedBull have to be number one in BS.When they had the
winning car for years do you think for one second they'd
share their engine with any other team?If they leave good riddance
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 03:04:17 PM »
RedBull have to be number one in BS.When they had the
winning car for years do you think for one second they'd
share their engine with any other team?If they leave good riddance

Wow, when Newey is pushing the aero rules to the limits, they're heroes of innovation.  When they call out a supplier for intentionally providing an engine that  doesn't deliver on its promises, it's good riddance?

I think it's ridiculous that Ferrari can get away with sabotaging their competitors.  That's far more damaging to the sport than RBR complaining that Renault doesn't know what they're doing.  At least Renault is trying, and the blame falls on Byzantine rules.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 05:01:20 PM »
I think it's only a matter of time. Red Bull has never stuck with any sport I know of for a very long time. I think Mateschitz gets bored easily.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 05:35:43 PM »
Two things for me.

-The stupid stupid stupid stupid engine rules have caused the RBR - Renault split.  Without them, Renault would have been able to sort out their engine very quickly.  What is really too bad is that Horner and company have gone around badmouthing Renault and destroying any chance they had at getting engines next year from them. 

-The new stupid stupid stupid stupid engine rules that would allow Ferrari to provide anything less than full spec current engines to customers.

Both of these things Bernie and FIA had huge hands in creating (by monopolizing the strategy group votes).  As much as I know Bernie will dig in when threatened, he is the evil dick who did it.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 07:30:50 PM »
Two things for me.

-The stupid stupid stupid stupid engine rules have caused the RBR - Renault split.  Without them, Renault would have been able to sort out their engine very quickly.  What is really too bad is that Horner and company have gone around badmouthing Renault and destroying any chance they had at getting engines next year from them. 

-The new stupid stupid stupid stupid engine rules that would allow Ferrari to provide anything less than full spec current engines to customers.

Both of these things Bernie and FIA had huge hands in creating (by monopolizing the strategy group votes).  As much as I know Bernie will dig in when threatened, he is the evil dick who did it.

-Agreed
-Agreed
-Agreed

I'm surprised that Bernie would blow off Mateschitz though.  I thought his strategy was to bring in all the 'new money' billionaires like Mateschitz, Mallya and Branson.

He's already chased out most of the car companies.

He's never been able to attract tech companies (I'd like to see Apple vs Google on the race track)

He's priced out independents.  No one is crazy enough to follow in the shoes of Williams, Dennis or Sauber.

Where is he going to turn now?  Will he try to nationalize teams?  There have been efforts in the past.  He might convince a few countries who haven't ponied up for a race to at least buy into a team or back a driver.

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 07:45:08 PM »
I'm sure at one point he was trying to get premier league football teams to get involved.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 02:54:51 PM »
The engine rules and the attitude of Red Bull's senior management are both to blame here.  Renault may have got it wrong with the engines, but they could have made significant improvements if the rules allowed them to, and the same is true of Honda.  These rules really do need to be sorted out.

I wouldn't be surprised if Red Bull did walk away, but I would hope that buyers would be found for both the main team and Toro Rosso first.  If the latter is to go, then I'd love Minardi to come back and to take their place ;).
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 11:04:08 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if Red Bull did walk away, but I would hope that buyers would be found for both the main team and Toro Rosso first.  If the latter is to go, then I'd love Minardi to come back and to take their place ;).

My suggestions on that are:-

(A)  MK based Red Bull becoming Arden F1, backed by some form of Red bull sponsorship for a couple of seasons. Christian Horner apparently applied for the F1 slot earlier this year but was turned down for whatever reason.

(B) STR will be taken on by ART GP and choose to become a technical partner with McLaren Honda, similar to the Haas deal with Ferrari. Again ART has aspirations to join F1, they were expected to bid on the F1 place that the FIA put up for grabs but for whatever reason seem to have stopped short.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 06:44:33 PM »
The way things are going with Red Bull's engine negotiations, you could be spot on there John.  I notice that Helmut Marko was his usual belligerent self about it all, arguing that Red Bull must have a competitive engine or they will quit.

Why are Red Bull entitled to a competitive engine?  It's this self-entitlement that they have which bothers me.  I'd be more understanding if they just kept blaming the rules and the FIA, and saying that it's unfair on all the engine builders is is harming competitiveness in Formula 1, that would be a strong argument, but all this self-entitlement stuff is becoming very irritating in my opinion.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 11:17:19 PM »
Ferrari is being really clever here:

- It is offering an engine. So Red Bull can't claim nobody did so.

- It's offering a really bad engine. So everyone can see Ferrari doesn't want to supply Red Bull.

- It's offering such a spectacularly bad engine it would actually need FIA approval to provide something so terrible. It got it for Manor because Manor patently couldn't afford a new engine. That's not the case for Red Bull, so if Red Bull were really wanting to stay, they'd only need to notify the FIA and, voila, they'd get new engines for the price of year-old engines...

...but Ferrari sensed that Red Bull was simply trying to make itself look like the victim rather than seriously wanting to stay in F1. So Ferrari's actions have shown Red Bull for what it is, and prevented it from getting any more psuedopolitical power, at least until it mends its ways. (It won't).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 02:42:00 AM »
Ferrari is being really clever here:

- It is offering an engine. So Red Bull can't claim nobody did so.

- It's offering a really bad engine. So everyone can see Ferrari doesn't want to supply Red Bull.

- It's offering such a spectacularly bad engine it would actually need FIA approval to provide something so terrible. It got it for Manor because Manor patently couldn't afford a new engine. That's not the case for Red Bull, so if Red Bull were really wanting to stay, they'd only need to notify the FIA and, voila, they'd get new engines for the price of year-old engines...

...but Ferrari sensed that Red Bull was simply trying to make itself look like the victim rather than seriously wanting to stay in F1. So Ferrari's actions have shown Red Bull for what it is, and prevented it from getting any more psuedopolitical power, at least until it mends its ways. (It won't).

It would be ridiculous to expect the teams to get along all the time.

On the other hand, how many other businesses let their partners actively and publicly sabotage each other?  It's easy to blame Bernie for any woes that the teams have, but when they actively work to crush the competition off track, it's no wonder no one cares for the product on track.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle