collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 572
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Revised 2016 Formula One schedule  (Read 3661 times)

Offline Dare

Revised 2016 Formula One schedule
« on: October 01, 2015, 01:06:38 AM »
Why don't they make Brazil the final race of the season?Silverstone
is still listed for whatever that means

From Fox Sports

The FIA World Motor Sport Council has revised and ratified the 2016 Formula One schedule, which features a number of changes from the original version released in July.
In total, eight races have new dates, including the Australian, Chinese, Bahrain, British, Azerbaijan, Hungarian, Malaysian and Mexican GP events.
Bernie Ecclestone had been wrestling with the schedule changes over the past three months, after the original calendar released attracted concerns from teams and race promoters.
The opening race in Australia has been moved to March 20, two weeks earlier than when the schedule was first unveiled.
This change creates potential logistical problem for teams, who now have to change their research and development, car build, crash testing, and spares production schedules.
Full 2016 F1 schedule:
March 20 - Melbourne
April 3 - Bahrain
April 17 - Shanghai
May 1 - Sochi
May 15 - Barcelona
May 29 - Monte Carlo
June 12 - Montreal
June 19 - Baku
July 3 - Spielberg
July 10 - Silverstone
July 24 - Budapest
July 31 - Hockenheim
August 28 - Spa-Francorchamps
September 4 - Monza
September 18 - Singapore
October 2 - Sepang
October 9 - Suzuka
October 23 - Austin
November 6 - Mexico City
November 13 - Sao Paolo
November 27 - Abu Dhabi

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Online Jericoke

Re: Revised 2016 Formula One schedule
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 02:35:51 AM »
We know that the last race is a money thing.  No point in lamenting it. 

I'm wondering why they go from Montreal to Baku in 5 days.  I'm not super knowledgable of Azerbaijan, but I would give a race in a new place more than 5 days to ship everything across the world.  There's no telling what might go wrong.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 12:32:01 PM »
Does anybody really expect common sense from the F.I.A.?

As for Abu Dhabi, it's just a desperate attempt to drum up some kind of interest in an otherwise boring parade.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 08:53:39 PM »
I'm wondering why they go from Montreal to Baku in 5 days.  I'm not super knowledgable of Azerbaijan, but I would give a race in a new place more than 5 days to ship everything across the world.  There's no telling what might go wrong.

So true...though I bet teams are sending some lead staff ahead to make sure everything works and the lights turn on, that sort of thing.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 05:00:32 AM »
If Red Bull pulls away from the sports, then Speilberg will be no longer in the calender, and the concern for Baku will only need to change the date, a week later. Ominous sign for me..
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 08:17:10 AM »
Now just wait for the final shuffle. No doubt it's not the final,  final calender.

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 02:44:46 PM »
If Red Bull pulls up stakes . . .

I don't know if that would mean the end to Austria, or not actually.  Red Bull is a business after all, and the investment in that circuit was huge.  I would think that they would try to keep a race there, whether they are competing or not.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 07:08:18 PM »
If Red Bull pulls up stakes . . .

I don't know if that would mean the end to Austria, or not actually.  Red Bull is a business after all, and the investment in that circuit was huge.  I would think that they would try to keep a race there, whether they are competing or not.

If RBR leaves Bernie holding the bag, I can't imagine that Bernie wouldn't put the screws to the Red Bull Ring.

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 09:25:37 PM »
The investment they have in their 2 F1 teams I would think is far more than that in the A-ring...they probably bought the track for a song after it was dropped from the calendar, and it was only the upgrade costs that hurt (€70m) but I think it was still a lot less than the F1 annual budget.

If RBR walk away from F1 without finding a solid buyer, they will have thrown a ton of money away.  It just doesn't smell right to me.  It would also hurt their image as a sports marketing company to give up in a hissy fit.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 10:35:01 PM »

I still think Christian will get the nod to take on RBR as his Arden F1 team and STR will go to someone else - possibly ART GP. With sponsorship packages for both for a few years, it'll still be cheaper than paying redundancies at both and facing Bernie in court for $300m upwards.

I'm also thinking the schedule also includes cover for the British and Italian GPs to drop off the list. We know both are under threat more than any of the others listed.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 02:05:11 AM »
I hadn't thought about this, but it sounds like Haas will get the short end of the stick in this.

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/amended-2016-f1-schedule-hurts-american-haas-f1-team
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 07:16:41 PM »
Typical Bernie and the FIA.  Cry and scream about saving money and then throw a wrench in the works.  I'm sure there are other teams on a strict schedule as well, and this has mucked up their plans too.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 03:46:11 PM »
Something else I didn't notice until I heard John Hindhaugh mention it on Midweek Motorsports. The Baku race is the same day as Le Mans. Doesn't the F.I.A. have a rule that they won't schedule any other race to conflict with Le Mans?
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 08:01:39 PM »
Something else I didn't notice until I heard John Hindhaugh mention it on Midweek Motorsports. The Baku race is the same day as Le Mans. Doesn't the F.I.A. have a rule that they won't schedule any other race to conflict with Le Mans?

For years LeMans and Canada were the same weekend.  Brundle would race it, and they would have a Canadian join Murry Walker on the BBC (back then, the races were still co produced locally)

One race we were treated to Greg Moore calling a few laps!

Offline Irisado

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 10:30:45 PM »
Off to Azerbaijan we go then.  I'm disappointed by yet another country with next to no motor racing heritage being awarded a Grand Prix.  This is becoming very depressing and is diluting the soul of the sport in my opinion.

As for the change to the dates, the small teams will suffer from this, and the big teams will not.  Same old story really.  As usual, the FIA talks a lot about helping the smaller teams, but in reality does nothing beneficial whatsoever.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle