collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 230
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16171 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13011 Posts
John S John S
11290 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Russian GP  (Read 6155 times)

Offline Scott

Russian GP
« on: October 06, 2015, 03:40:53 PM »
As a driver or a fan, I'm not so sure I would really want to go to Sochi at the moment with all that's going on with Russia.  But that kind of thing never stops Bernie's circus, so the show will go on.

The track itself is another flat Tilkedrome that wraps around the former Olympic venue.  The 5.8km track has currently the smoothest surface in F1, which Lauda claims will not compliment the Mercedes (though I'm inclined to think he is just trying to stir up media interest in a race that most people don't know is going on, and those that do are looking to see if there is something better on TV this weekend). 

Lewis won it from the front while we got to watch Nico race from the back of the field after a 1st lap incident.  Otherwise the race was a bore.  Highlights were 5minutes of wasted coverage to watch Putin arrive half way through the race and greet Bernie, and a podium ceremony MC'd by some Russian celebrity who just kept saying things like 'It was a nice race, Yes?  Wonderful to be here in Sochi, Yes?  What a wonderful country we have here, Yes?'

For more track info  http://www.f1mix.com/circuits/sochi-autodrom.asp

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Steve A.

Re: Russian GP
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 04:21:05 PM »
One of my least anticipated races, I think it will watched pretty much on fast forward.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 10:25:59 PM »
The BBC gets the dubious joy of showing this race live again.  I'm not looking forward to the event at all.  The track is, without doubt, the worst Grand Prix circuit I've ever seen since I started watching in 1995, and the shadow of Putin doesn't help either.

Last year's race sent me to sleep.  I hope that at least something happens this time around.  Other than Rosberg locking his brakes on lap one, it was an utterly dismal parade.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Online cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 12:42:17 PM »
Maybe Putin will once again arrive "fashionably late" so that he can grab more TV time. My one hope for the week-end is that Putin might refer to Bernie as Mini-Me on camera.

On the bright side, at least it isn't Austin.  :sick:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 03:16:31 PM »
I was wondering if maybe it's time to ban the simulators.

By the time drivers get to a track they know it like the back of their hands.  Which kerbs to cut, which passing zones to use, breaking points, apexes, how to save fuel, how to go all out.

Yes, some tracks are inherently more interesting than others, but imagine if each weekend the drivers went into the track cold.  It would be a feeling out session.  Practice wouldn't just be shaking down the chassis and confirming what weeks of simulation confirms, but would be actually seeing how to race!

When the actual race comes, drivers are still feeling it out.  Still not sure what their competitors will do.  There is more caution, and more room for bravery, more room for the drivers to make a difference.

We might still get boring races, but what's the point of new tracks if the drivers are already experts the day they show up?

Offline Ian

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 05:35:17 PM »
I dunno Cos, I'd sooner watch Austin than Sochi.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 05:39:39 PM »
I understand what you're saying Jeri, and I like the idea.  Unfortunately, it wouldn't make it any more likely that drivers would make mistakes which put them out of the race or damage their car, because the modern tracks have run off areas that are so massive and contain no gravel.  I cannot, therefore, see it spicing up the show that much.

I dunno Cos, I'd sooner watch Austin than Sochi.

I agree.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Online cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 07:22:11 PM »
I'd rather watch paint dry than watch COTA. Worst, most overrated track ever.

If COTA was a car, it would be a Trebant.

If COTA was a movie, Adam Sandler would be in it.

If COTA was a dessert, it would be sauerkraut ice cream
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 07:57:31 PM »
I understand what you're saying Jeri, and I like the idea.  Unfortunately, it wouldn't make it any more likely that drivers would make mistakes which put them out of the race or damage their car, because the modern tracks have run off areas that are so massive and contain no gravel.  I cannot, therefore, see it spicing up the show that much.

I'm not suggesting carnage, I'm suggesting passing opportunities.  We all know that there are only two ways to pass an F1 car:

1)  Your car is clearly superior to the one in front - qualified poorly, smaller fuel load, newer tires etc.

2)  The driver in front made a mistake.

One of the reasons modern F1 drivers don't make as many mistakes is because they know the track, and getting the breaking points and apexes right is almost reflex.  The drivers aren't relying on skill but memory.  It's like the race is a times table they're reciting.  The number of mistakes has dropped.

Not knowing how to take each corner perfectly will lead to more mistakes that can be used to creating passing opportunities

Offline Monty

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 11:00:07 AM »
Well I will be at a 'proper' racing circuit - Brands Hatch; watching 'proper' racing - British Touring Cars. So I will watch the Sochi race on fast forward in the evening. My main interest will be, can the McLarens get in front of any team other than Manor.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 04:31:12 PM »
I'm not suggesting carnage, I'm suggesting passing opportunities.  We all know that there are only two ways to pass an F1 car

You forgot DRS passes on the straight ;).

One of the reasons modern F1 drivers don't make as many mistakes is because they know the track, and getting the breaking points and apexes right is almost reflex.  The drivers aren't relying on skill but memory.  It's like the race is a times table they're reciting.  The number of mistakes has dropped.

I partially agree, but there is more to it than this.  You also have to factor in that the cars are a lot easier to drive now, and the drivers are not always going flat out.  This reduces the probability of making mistakes.  There is also the fact that the circuits do not punish drivers for mistakes like they used to, because there is so much tarmac everywhere, so mistakes which used to be more costly, such as running wide over real grass or ploughing through the gravel before rejoining the circuit, just are not there any more.

Either way, so far as Sochi is concerned, simulator or no simulator, it's a bland and boring circuit, which is not going to challenge any driver of any calibre.  There was barely an incident of note at all last year in any of the sessions, and I'd be surprised to see anything different this year.

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 04:59:56 PM »
Ban the blue flags, they are supposed to be the best so overtaking back markers with out help would make it more interesting.

Online cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 05:39:26 PM »
Ban the blue flags, they are supposed to be the best so overtaking back markers with out help would make it more interesting.

I'd say make them only a warning to the slower car that a faster car is approaching from behind, not a command to let that car through.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Irisado

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 06:52:45 PM »
They could certainly change the rules for blue flags at modern tracks, since they are very wide, and so passing slower cars is relatively straight forward for the front runners.  I'd say that the blue flag rules would need to be kept from the street circuits though, otherwise you'd just huge log jams that could potentially seriously affect the race result.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 07:29:05 PM »

I'd be worried about lower position 'technical partner' teams holding up other drivers strategically.  Imagine if Vettel and Hamilton are racing for the championship, and the Manor cars let Hamilton through while making 2 very difficult laps for Vettel?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle