collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 579
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Help  (Read 4034 times)

Offline Ian

Help
« on: November 05, 2015, 10:35:40 AM »
Many of you who have known me for a while know that I'm a numpty on a computer, advice here would be greatly appreciated.

Should I stick with Windows 7 or upgrade to Windows 10 ?

An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 12:50:13 PM »
iMac  :P :P :P
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 01:46:05 PM »
Na na na na na  ::)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 01:59:15 PM »
Windows 7. It's a nice stable platform now that Microsoft's finally transferred the program-breaking upgrades to newer platforms (and unlike XP, it's still getting necessary updates).

Windows 10 has data privacy problems and has the right to unilaterally uninstall any software that in its sole opinion is copyrighted or pirated. This in addition to the usual driver update issues that plague Microsoft operating system upgrades in general. At this time, I can think of no upside to taking Windows 10 (unless your only Windows alternative is 8.0).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 03:10:47 PM »
iMac  :P :P :P

I have never had anyone anytime explain in what way a Mac is 'better' than a Windows computer.

Perhaps when they were using Motorola or IBM designs one could argue about superior hardware, but when they run identical hardware, it's hard to explain the difference.

Offline Ian

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 03:17:32 PM »
Cheers Jeri  :good:

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 03:24:14 PM »
I have never had anyone anytime explain in what way a Mac is 'better' than a Windows computer.

The explanation is is simple - It isn't!   

Apple keeps a very tight control over any hardware or software that connect with its system. As a result, the amount of both available for use on Apple is extremely limited. On the other hand, the few things available interface with the system very well.

Windows is far more open. That means that there are tons of things that run on it but they don't always get along with each other all that well.

When it comes Apple vs Windows, the choice is obvious:

Linux!  :yahoo:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 03:56:02 PM »

The explanation is is simple - It isn't!   

Apple keeps a very tight control over any hardware or software that connect with its system. As a result, the amount of both available for use on Apple is extremely limited. On the other hand, the few things available interface with the system very well.

Windows is far more open. That means that there are tons of things that run on it but they don't always get along with each other all that well.

Considering that OSX is just a 'flavour' of Linux I guess that puts you in the Apple camp?   :P

I would certainly consider both OSX and Windows ahead of any free versions of Linux in terms of overall reliability.  I'm not familiar with any paid distributions enough to comment.

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 04:08:42 PM »
I was a windows guy until Windows98, when I got my first Mac.  Never looked back.  They aren't perfect, but I've thrown out half the hardware that I used to in the same time span.  I only had clones, but man, it seemed like every couple of months some component would die on them, power supply, DVD drive, hard drive, video card...seemed to never stop.  When I buy a mac, I know it will work just great for 3-4 years, then slow down as I top up the hard drive or otherwise over use it.  Then I retire it to  a public space in the hotel (where the one I am typing on will go in about a month).  It'll be fine for another 2-3 years as a surfer for guests.  Only thing broken on it is the DVD drive where I accidentally stuck a memory card from my camera in because that slot is directly below the drive slot.  Cant seem to shake it out, but DVD's won't play anymore.  Apple has solved that problem, they don't include DVD drives anymore   :crazy: :crazy:

Plus an Asus laptop that didn't work from day one.  After fighting with Asus for almost 3months, they finally took it back and offered a refund (that kind of blew my mind).  Went out with the cash and bought my first macbook pro.

Honestly, it's a bit more of the Ford vs GM argument.  Their fans LOVE them, and will never switch sides.  Depends on who you ask what is better. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 06:25:31 PM by Scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 04:45:07 PM »
Ali, thanks very much, I'll stick with Windows 7.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 09:43:07 PM »
Considering that OSX is just a 'flavour' of Linux I guess that puts you in the Apple camp?

As opposite as possible. Apple is a very closed system. Linux is a open as possible.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 07:10:21 AM »

The man says the verdict with the wit he exude.  :good: :good:

I think there cannot be a simple verdict regarding Apple vs Windows, but one thing for sure, both have huge consumers behind them. Apple gives you a paradise defined by them, if are happy within it, then you will not go looking for an alternative. Linus gives you the space to make your own paradise, there is no limitation but you have to build it on your own. Windows lies in between two, both regarding the price and the performance, and perhaps the reason it draws the biggest crowd among these three. If you ask me I am still wandering which to choose, so chances are there I will end up using all of them. But I think I must give Windows a bit fair chance, because I earn my salary from Gates Foundation  ;)
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle