collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 559
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Vettel: Fastest driver, not car, should win  (Read 2990 times)

Offline Monty

Vettel: Fastest driver, not car, should win
« on: February 16, 2016, 12:05:32 PM »
OMG! I actually agree with something Vettel has said! Although, when Ferrari dominated I doubt anyone at Maranello was complaining!

http://planetf1.com/news/vettel-fastest-driver-not-car-should-win/

Offline Scott

Re: Vettel: Fastest driver, not car, should win
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 12:25:25 PM »
He can always move to Indycar or some other spec series to prove his worth, but in F1 I like the team technical competition as well, and would be sorry to lose it to some boring formula that keeps everything perfectly equal.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 12:44:03 PM »
They could always restart the old IROC. All cars identical except for their Easter egg colors & the drivers drawing lots to see which car they'd drive at each race.

At the top levels, racing should be about the entire team - the driver, car, engine, pit crew, everything.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 12:52:54 PM »
Yeah have to agree with you Scott, and I'm sure Vettel's point is only really valid for him when he is not in the most winning car.

F1 has always been about the best drivers a team can get in their individual cars, and I mean individual cars. Surely it's why we consider Fangio and Schumi such greats - because they drove different teams cars to championship victory.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this need to become a great mostly the reason Seb took on the Ferrari challenge.

Oh and of course the Red Bull dominance allowing him multiple championships never put spectators off.  :P

IMHO he should just get on with trying to build his own heritage and stop worrying about a mythical level playing field. After all in a true spec series he may find lots of others may well whoop his ass. :D :D

« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 01:03:06 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 01:37:02 PM »
I agree that F1 is a technical formula and I love innovation. I just wish they would stop tinkering with the regs. so that everyone can get proficient with the current technology.
Any way, there is no such thing as a level playing field in motor racing. Money always talks. My kids raced in the UK Rotax Max karting championship. This is supposed to be a fixed specification sport with sealed engines etc. My son became good friends with one of the sponsored drivers who was typically 0.5second per lap faster than my son (on a 45second lap). He got the team to give my son a test drive in their kart - he was instantly 0.6second faster than his best time in his own kart. What was the difference? About £10,000 per year!! :fool:

Online Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 02:41:04 PM »
Racing is a team sport, and part of being the 'best' driver is allying
yourself with the 'best' team.

Tennis, golf, track and field... that's where you go if you want to shine as an individual.  Even then, at top levels having the right coaching, nutritionist etc can mean a big difference.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 09:03:56 PM »
I didn't hear Vettel complaining that he was the only one winning during his four year spell at the top when RB were the top car so just another Vettel whinge!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Dare

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 02:09:34 AM »
I wonder if he'd won another title in 2014 would he have
left for Ferrari?I doubt it
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Online Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 03:08:43 PM »
I wonder if he'd won another title in 2014 would he have
left for Ferrari?I doubt it

Hard to say.  Schumacher left Bennetton as reigning champion, I can imagine that Vettel would jump at any chance to emulate him.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 03:15:10 PM »
It certainly would have made the 2014 season a lot more interesting.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Irisado

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 03:46:01 PM »
The best drivers usually find their way into the best cars, so I think that Vettel's point is redundant in any case.  That said, Formula 1 is a team sport and a sport based around different chassis/engine combinations.  If he's looking for a test of driver skill and nothing else, he needs to race in a one make championship.

I also find his comments somewhat hypocritical given how much he benefited from Red Bull's chassis dominance during the V8 era.  He was arguably out driven by Alonso in 2010 and 2012, but still managed to win because of the inherent superiority of the Red Bull.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Online Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 03:20:39 PM »
The best drivers usually find their way into the best cars, so I think that Vettel's point is redundant in any case.  That said, Formula 1 is a team sport and a sport based around different chassis/engine combinations.  If he's looking for a test of driver skill and nothing else, he needs to race in a one make championship.

I also find his comments somewhat hypocritical given how much he benefited from Red Bull's chassis dominance during the V8 era.  He was arguably out driven by Alonso in 2010 and 2012, but still managed to win because of the inherent superiority of the Red Bull.

I think that even though Vettel and Hamilton have been 'dominant' of late, there is no clear 'best driver' like there was in the 1st Schumacher era.  Any of a dozen drivers would win the championship in the 'best' car.

What I truly miss is the ability for a great driver to bring their car up, and earn points that the team otherwise had no hope of earning.

However, I don't think it's a technological issue, I think the gap between top drivers is smaller than ever.  The drivers are so well matched that it is the machinery/strategy that makes the difference.

Offline Monty

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 02:40:26 PM »
I think that even though Vettel and Hamilton have been 'dominant' of late, there is no clear 'best driver' like there was in the 1st Schumacher era.  Any of a dozen drivers would win the championship in the 'best' car.
Don't get me started..... >:D

To be honest, there has always been a car advantage, even back to Bugatti 35's, Mercedes Silver Arrows, etc., etc.
All of Schumacher's championships were won, in part, to him having the best car - especially the Ferraris (and of course his ability to undermine team mates and crashing into faster drivers).

The recent Mercedes dominance was due to a rare coincidence of their drivers being two of the best in the current era plus their cars not only being the fastest but also the most reliable.
So far, today's testing is at least providing us the hope that Ferrari will be as fast as Mercedes. Time will tell.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 03:40:07 PM »
Don't get me started..... >:D

To be honest, there has always been a car advantage, even back to Bugatti 35's, Mercedes Silver Arrows, etc., etc.
All of Schumacher's championships were won, in part, to him having the best car - especially the Ferraris (and of course his ability to undermine team mates and crashing into faster drivers).

The recent Mercedes dominance was due to a rare coincidence of their drivers being two of the best in the current era plus their cars not only being the fastest but also the most reliable.
So far, today's testing is at least providing us the hope that Ferrari will be as fast as Mercedes. Time will tell.

I'm just suggesting that in the past the gap between drivers was big enough that sometimes it would overcome the gap between machinery.  Now I think the gap between drivers is small enough (among the top dozen or so) that machinery is the only difference on track.

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 05:33:23 PM »
Although there is a World Driver's Championship, there also exists a team issue called the World Constructors' Championship.  This is part of the whole team concept, in which teams must do what they believe to be within the rules and their budget in their attempt to win THAT championship.  Formula 1 is not, nor to my memory, ever been all about the drivers.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle