collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 570
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Exclusive McLaren documentary on ITV1  (Read 1012 times)

davewilson

Exclusive McLaren documentary on ITV1
« on: March 09, 2007, 02:08:58 PM »
ITV Sport kicks off its coverage of the 2007 Formula 1 season with an exclusive documentary this Sunday afternoon.

F1: Chasing the Dream, which will air at 5.05pm on ITV1, takes you behind the scenes at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes as the team gears up for a tilt at the world title.

We visit McLaren’s Woking base to talk to reigning world champion Fernando Alonso, rookie sensation Lewis Hamilton and team boss Ron Dennis.

The programme also includes insights from ex-McLaren driver Martin Brundle and Britain’s last world champion Damon Hill.

As a taster, we’ve pulled out some key quotes from Hamilton on the eve of his grand prix debut in Melbourne…

Lewis on meeting Ron Dennis for the first time at the Autosport Awards

“I was 10 years old when I met Ron. I had just won the British championship in the Cadets, which is the first category you start in karting. I think I just went up to him and said ‘Hi, I’m Lewis Hamilton, I won the British championship and one day I want to be racing your cars.’

“And I think it was three years after that because I’d gone there every year that Ron called us and I remember I got home from school. I was 13 years old and my dad said ‘Ron Dennis called today and he’s offered you a sponsorship deal.’”

Lewis on the support his family has given him

“There was a point at the beginning of my career when me and my dad made a pact – if I worked hard at school he would continue to work hard and keep me racing.

“I think he probably stuck to the deal more than I did maybe. But that’s what you are like when you’re a kid.”

Lewis on achieving his dream of becoming an F1 driver

“Not many people know this but it was at the race in Monza when I had won the GP2 championship

"I walked to the front of the grid as McLaren were on pole position. I was just standing there admiring the car and just imagining what it would be like in Kimi’s position.

“And I remember Ron came over to me, put his arm around me and pulled me to the side and secretly said, ‘I’m going to give you a chance. You’re going to have to work hard for it, but I’m going to give you a chance.’

“At that point it was difficult to know exactly what that was so I put on a professional face, a professional smile, but inside obviously I was ecstatic.

“I didn’t really know what to think. Was that a race drive? Was that a test, or was it going to be a shoot-out to see if I’m going to get the drive, or what?

“Ron invited me round to his house and I sat with him and he said ‘You’re going to be our second driver next year’ and that was just – you can imagine the smile on my face – it was just unreal, a really special moment for me.”

Lewis on having Fernando Alonso as team-mate

“I’ve got the best guy sitting next to me. He can bring a lot to the team. He’s been in Formula 1 for six years. He’s very experienced and very talented – not only on track but off the track he’s very smart as well.

“I just feel I’m in a unique position – who better to learn from?

“I’m not going out to finish behind him. If I was then I shouldn’t really be where I am.”

The Stig
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 02:16:12 PM by The Stig »

Online cosworth151

Re: Exclusive McLaren documentary on ITV1
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 02:17:44 PM »
I think he has real potential. I just hope that breaking into the sport with a top team, paired with a twice world champion helps him and doesn't overwhelm him.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

davewilson

Re: Exclusive McLaren documentary on ITV1
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 02:26:22 PM »
Jumping in at the deep end,you either sink or swim.I think he will swim.
The Stig

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle