collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 235
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16166 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12999 Posts
John S John S
11281 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Kimi to NASCAR  (Read 4959 times)

Offline cosworth151

Kimi to NASCAR
« on: March 24, 2016, 02:49:14 PM »
I thought about calling this thread "Kimi Moves to Haas for 2017."

AutoWeek is reporting rumors that Ferrari driver & past WDC Kimi Raikkonen will drive for NASCAR's Stewart-Haas racing. There will be room for him. Tony Stewart is retiring from driving at the end of this season, and Danica Patrick is considered to be past her prime in sponsorship. SHR will also be making the jump to Ford.

Now, can the Kimster trade his champagne & yacht for a Bud Light & a bass boat?

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

Re: Kimi to NASCAR
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 04:56:42 PM »
Don't some NASCAR tracks have infield lakes?  Fly in a party boat, load the freezer with ice cream, and Kimi's good.

I think NASCAR would love a WDC to create waves internationally.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 06:25:26 PM »
That's an interesting move.  As for him igniting an international interest in NASCAR, I think Montoya showed it's not certain to happen.  And I don't think NASCAR is even going for that sort of exposure.  They want a guy called the ICEMAN, who speaks his mind and drives very fast.  They will get exactly that with Kimi. 

But I think he'll get bored quickly and move back home after a season or so, or back to Switzerland.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 01:48:45 AM »
I'm not as well versed in auto history as some members here, but isn't Andretti the only driver with genuine success in both Formula One and NASCAR?

And even then, it was NASCAR to F1, not vice versa. 

I do think that Montoya showed that being a good F1 driver doesn't provide any advantage in NASCAR.  I think it's easy to underestimate the skill of NASCAR drivers because it seems like all they do is turn left.  With minimal differences between cars, and predictable laps, the minute differences between drivers makes a big difference (isn't that Vettel's dream series?)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 09:40:05 AM »

I'm surprised Kimi has not learned from his Rally adventures, switching disciplines was hardly a success. If it's true I can only guess it's the money or just maybe the buzz of trying something new that's attracting the adrenaline junkie in him.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 11:13:27 AM »
Mario was never a regular NASCAR driver. He ran a total of 14 races spread over 4 years. This was at a time when the series was running 40+ races a year. He was usually brought in as a "ringer" for road courses, like Riverside. He ran more in the U.S.A.C. Stock Car Series. It was a competing series run by the sanctioning body of Indy racing back then.

I really want to see how Kimi & the NASCAR fans take to each other.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 11:14:27 AM »
Aero handling are total opposites in NASCAR and F1 - most drivers wont get that bit.  NASCAR there is only minimal aero downforce, while it is optimized for drafting, unlike F1.  Getting a feel for a car that is almost constantly on the edge of grip is also a challenge moving to NASCAR. 

I'm not sure Kimi will handle it all that much better than Montoya did.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Warmwater

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 02:38:06 AM »
F1 and Nascar are worlds apart.
It would seem that a driver who can accurately sense how the car is reacting would be successful in any series, but apparently that is not absolute.
Many years ago it was probably possible, but with the advancement of aerodynamics, electronics, suspension, power train, and rubber technologies that differ so much in every series today, not likely. Just because you can be successful in the Dakar does not mean you can win a Sprint car race.
Probably.
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Offline Willy

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 01:26:05 PM »
Sorry, I don't get on here very often so am slow to add to some threads.

Kimi moving to NASCAR would be a disaster for both the team and him.
They are completely different forms of driving and call for skills that may not be developed enough from one series to the next.
Everything about the cars are very different and as we know, Kimi is not going to stay very long somewhere he is not having some success.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 11:52:06 PM »
Let the NASCAR fans have a little taste of ICEMAN  ;)

Its pretty difficult to assess how a driver a perform in a different series, but history has shown in recent years, that this has not been useful for anyone. I do consider Mika Hakkinnen as great driver, but his shift in DTM never matched the perks he got in F1, infact none of the F1 drivers opted for different series shone after F1.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Dare

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 02:35:51 AM »
Looks like Kimi is being forced to look outside
F1 by Ferrari itself.Podiums aren't enough to
satisfy the bosses it seems.I'd almost give odds
Kimi is replaced by Bottas next year or who ever the
moments wonder boy is.Maybe Lewis may want the seat
if Nico keeps winning
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 02:48:22 AM »
Sorry, I don't get on here very often so am slow to add to some threads.

Kimi moving to NASCAR would be a disaster for both the team and him.
They are completely different forms of driving and call for skills that may not be developed enough from one series to the next.
Everything about the cars are very different and as we know, Kimi is not going to stay very long somewhere he is not having some success.

Kimi moving to NASCAR would not be a disaster.  Like all top level racing series, NASCAR is an exercise in mobile billboards.  Kimi will bring new attention to NASCAR, that attention will bring sponsors, and his team will benefit before turning a single lap.

Obviously there is a risk to Kimi's 'legacy', however I don't think he cares about that.  If he's having fun, he won't mind turning in 43rd place finishes.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 12:50:26 PM »
I'm not sure how much more attention NASCAR would get from Kimi. I doubt it will ever catch on in the rest of the world, and over here, he's "Kimi who?" Also, NASCAR sponsors expect a lot of public appearance duty from their drivers. I can't see Kimi going along with that.

in fact none of the F1 drivers opted for different series shone after F1.

Mark Webber & Allan McNish each went on to win FIA WEC championships. McNish went on to win two 24 Hours of LeMans races, five 12 Hours of Sebring and two American LeMans Series crowns. Of course, it could be said that Allan was a sports car racer who briefly tried F1, not an F1 guy who went to sports cars.  ;)
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 03:13:03 PM »
I'm not sure how much more attention NASCAR would get from Kimi. I doubt it will ever catch on in the rest of the world, and over here, he's "Kimi who?" Also, NASCAR sponsors expect a lot of public appearance duty from their drivers. I can't see Kimi going along with that.

No, Kimi won't bring a lot of attention in the USA, but NASCAR has already peaked there.  It will cause a few F1 fans to check out NASCAR.  I doubt they'll stay long, but some might.  And if Kimi actually wins, they'll stay longer.  It's not a big risk to take.

As for the non sponsor appearances:   NASCAR fans do have a bit of a fondess for 'rebels'.  A driver who doesn't fit the mould could gain a following quickly.  Sponsors might decide they don't need him gladhanding if he's getting screen time.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 04:00:49 PM »

Mark Webber & Allan McNish each went on to win FIA WEC championships. McNish went on to win two 24 Hours of LeMans races, five 12 Hours of Sebring and two American LeMans Series crowns. Of course, it could be said that Allan was a sports car racer who briefly tried F1, not an F1 guy who went to sports cars.  ;)

In that sense we missed both Nico Hulkenberg and Giancarlo Fisichella, both of them won the 24-hours Le Mans, though Fisi won category not the overall race  :fool:
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle