collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 583
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: The 2017 Cars  (Read 2897 times)

Offline Scott

The 2017 Cars
« on: April 25, 2016, 12:14:53 PM »
...will be quite a bit different.  Power units are going to remain fairly stable technically, but the manufacturers are obligated to supply every team one way or another, and engine costs will come down to 12mEuro's in '18, a considerable drop from today.  I don't care about the noise.  The old cars were too loud to be at a race without ear protection and basically forget any discussion with a friend in the stands.  The new engines allow you to both attend without protection and you can have a conversation on the same level as at a noisy bar.  I do like that.  I do really hate the idea that they want to cut the number of engines to 3 per driver per season though...

Changing tire regulations is usually like throwing the dice, so for those changes we'll simply have to see how they shake out.

The cars will have some dramatic changes in dimensions and tire size that should see more mechanical grip, and there is continuing discussion on how to improve the handling of a following car.  I've made my opinion clear on aero, so nothing more to say.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/36099501

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

vintly

Re: The 2017 Cars
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 02:21:24 PM »
The proposals are tabled to be ratified on Friday, but they aren't yet! What's the chance that everyone will be on the same page? I'm guessing there'll be a tweak or two to what's being proposed - if anything gets ratified at all.

On the sound of the cars, as you mention it, there's two aspects to the sound as I see it (or hear it I should say). One aspect is loudness, the other aspect is type of sound. I agree that the old V10s were almost too loud to listen to trackside when they were at full speed on the straight but not elsewhere on track. The best part of the old sound trackside was the sound of changing down through the gears before a tight corner, a deep bassy thumping sound - now you get a whistley-wheeeeee... which is rubbish in comparison. I don't mind the reduced loudness particularly, but the type of sound simply isn't thrilling. Interesting, not thrilling.

Berger has something to say about the power-to-grip ratio that makes sense, at least I think it does.

http://www.gpguide.com/News.aspx?articleId=MXwwNC8yNS8yMDE2IDAwOjAwOjAwfEYxIG11c3QgcmVjb25zaWRlciAncG93ZXIgdG8gZ3JpcCcgcmF0aW8gLSBCZXJnZXI=

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 02:40:32 PM »
The title indicated the ratification is a given.  Berger is right, but I don't think we need 2000hp engines, better to lose the downforce.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 03:06:08 PM »
I miss being able to tell the engines apart by their sound, when a Ford-Cosworth V8 sounded distinctively different than a Ferrari V12 or an BRM H16. That's one reason why I like sports car racing so much.

I do find it kind of sad that modern F1 cars don't sound as good as what I hear on local dirt ovals on the week-ends.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

vintly

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 09:36:02 PM »
... I don't think we need 2000hp engines, better to lose the downforce.

Agreed. I'm all for losing the front wing completely. Also make the brakes worse so the braking zone gets much longer, and there'll be more chances to under-brake and overtake.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 08:51:50 PM »
The rules were supposed to be ratified today, but the promoters failed to turn up, so nothing was agreed.

I'm broadly in favour of reverting, in effect, to the 1997 specification of Formula 1 car, but I strongly disapprove of the continuation of the restricted engine and gearbox numbers.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 08:20:04 PM »
I miss being able to tell the engines apart by their sound, when a Ford-Cosworth V8 sounded distinctively different than a Ferrari V12 or an BRM H16. That's one reason why I like sports car racing so much.

I do find it kind of sad that modern F1 cars don't sound as good as what I hear on local dirt ovals on the week-ends.

When I was in Montreal last year I could hear the differences in engines.  Obviously I can't compare it with the old days when the engines were a mixed bag of configurations, but if you're tuned to engine noises, you could even tell the difference between works and customer teams.

I agree with Scott though, from a social aspect, being able to share my experience with the people around me was better than a 2 hour assault of noise.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle