collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 570
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Electronic Curb Monitoring at Hungary  (Read 4130 times)

Offline cosworth151

Electronic Curb Monitoring at Hungary
« on: July 21, 2016, 08:35:16 PM »
This ties into several previous threads, so I put it in one of its own

The FIA just announced that they will electronically monitor the curbs in two of the corners at the Hungaroring. Maybe they've been reading us here.

It will certainly be interesting (and no doubt controversial) to see how it works.

http://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2016/7/track-limits-to-be-policed-electronically-in-hungary.html

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/132243-f1-drivers-split-over-electronic-curb-monitoring

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

Re: Electronic Curb Monitoring at Hungary
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 08:59:41 PM »
Can you smell the trouble FIA is cooking? |-(
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 10:42:11 PM »
I hope this works. I fear it won't. And I agree with Vettel regarding track design.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 04:36:33 AM »
If they are testing it, then imposing any penalty based on this technology will be illegal.

Why are they relying more and more on technology, when your good old system worked nicely?
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 09:47:15 AM »
I for one reckon it's a good thing, for too long these best in the world drivers have been pushing over the limits at corners trying to gain advantage or simply getting it wrong. If it's against the rules to have all four wheels over the line then enforce it at all points on the track, with sensors if the electronics prove robust enough, and lets stop blaming the track - it's the drivers who cause the problem.

I'm also in favour of a fixed time penalty of say 2 secs, not 5 as that's far too much, for any transgression which can be taken at pit stops or the end of the race. I'd also like to see big electronic screens at each corner which light up with '2 secs penalty' immediately a car goes off so all us fans on TV and at the track will see it straight away, the driver will get that message on his dash. Same can apply to Quali except the 2 secs gets added to the lap time rather than getting it wiped.

If that don't stop the wild ones I don't know what will.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 09:49:19 AM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 12:38:19 PM »
I hope this works. I fear it won't. And I agree with Vettel regarding track design.
I am in complete disagreement.  The track wasn't designed, "It's the FIA to blame for building circuits that make it faster to run off the track than on the track," he said. "It's quite disappointing. The result is it's faster to go off track than to stay on track.
"It doesn't make much sense, does it?"

The track was designed and defined by the white lines.  Using the area built-in as a safety run off should a driver not quite make the corner within those white lines doesn't mean what he seems to believe.  Perhaps, if that area was not there, he would realize that he needed to take the turn a bit slower.

I like it.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 01:08:10 PM »
I just heard on NBC that they will be using the same sensor that is used for the grid spot, so it looks like the tech is already proven.  I think this could work if applied correctly.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 05:07:39 PM »
I still like the R/B Ring's curbs.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 08:31:13 PM »
Not often Kvyat and Vettel see eye to eye on something, but like JC, I completely disagree with their opinion.  The runoff areas were never meant to be part of a the racetrack.  If there are a few places where it is faster to run off track and a driver choses to use that, then there should be a penalty.  As well, the FIA doesn't design tracks, they simply approve or deny track designs submitted to them.

I see they've gone with the invisible fence idea as opposed to the GPS option.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Irisado

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 10:33:00 AM »
The FIA should listen to Jolyon Palmer who said:

"It's better than not having it" but would "rather they put gravel on the other side."

This would solve all problems without the need for expensive or contentious sensors.  The Hungaroring, in particular, is a low speed track, so there's no risk with having gravel traps there, and no driver would ever gain any time by driving through a pile of gravel.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 12:31:05 PM »
Seb is really going to be hatin' this one.  Sorry Seb, but running wide on the exit of a couple of turns this weekend will NOT be the fastest way around the circuit.  Keep it between the lines, as they say.
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/232313/1/three-strikes-policy-for-track-limit-abuse.html
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 09:39:52 PM »
If they are testing it, then imposing any penalty based on this technology will be illegal.

Why are they relying more and more on technology, when your good old system worked nicely?

Because it wasn't, on safety grounds.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 09:42:06 PM »
The track was designed and defined by the white lines.  Using the area built-in as a safety run off should a driver not quite make the corner within those white lines doesn't mean what he seems to believe.  Perhaps, if that area was not there, he would realize that he needed to take the turn a bit slower.

I like it.

The usable track is defined by white lines. However, people have frequently used the unusuable part without penalty and while not losing (or even gaining) speed. Hence the need for monitoring - but Vettel is saying the problem shouldn't have been there in the first place and going off the usable track should at least be slower than staying on it.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Monty

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 11:56:29 AM »
I think the concept of automatically monitoring track limits and applying a '3 strikes and out' policy worked well. It isn't perfect and would not compensate on tracks where deliberately exceeding the track limits might actually allow someone to make an overtake (if not spotted by the stewards) but it is definitely a step forward.

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 07:27:37 PM »
Wasn't it actually 4 strikes?  3 notices, then a white/black flag and THEN a penalty I think was how it was being done.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle