collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 575
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Did Lewis already threaten to quit??  (Read 3857 times)

Offline Scott

Did Lewis already threaten to quit??
« on: December 01, 2016, 07:39:26 PM »
So Sky seems to have built this story from a non-denial, but honestly I was a bit surprised that Merc didn't at least publicly spank Rosberg in the aftermath.  That said, I think Rosberg has been almost as much of a thorn with the team this year as Hamilton has, questioning calls and choosing his own strategy, and those are only the times we've heard the conversations broadcast.

Unless they are/were a Williams 'employee', historically not many drivers have been very manageable, so why Toto is making all this bluster about having to manage either one of his is a bit of a joke.  They are race drivers, paid to get in the car and go fast.  They are selfish and don't respond well to suggestions.  It's practically a mental illness.  Just leave it alone Toto, smile and say 'Vasn't dat a vonderfull race'.  The rest is just wind through your lips.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24181/10678092/did-lewis-hamilton-threaten-to-quit-mercedes-after-spanish-gp-crash

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

Re: Did Lewis already threaten to quit??
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 08:14:28 PM »
I think that Lewis has been a good champion, bringing a 'large personality' to F1.  I think he is a people person and understands he has a duty to fans to put on a show.

That being said, I don't know that he's the sort of champion who 'Transcends' the sport.  In the USA drivers like Mario Andretti, Richard Petty and Jeff Gordon have transcended the sport:  people who aren't a fan of racing to know those names.

With all respect to F1 drivers, I don't know that any of the champions in the post Senna era have achieved anything close to that.  Maybe I'm wrong, F1 isn't a big deal in Canada outside of Quebec, so maybe everyone in Europe knows the difference between Lewis Hamilton and Alexander Hamilton, but it's certainly not the case where I live.

My point is:  Hamilton needs F1 more than F1 needs Hamilton.  If Mercedes' brand is being a team player, they'll find someone who fits the brand.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 08:57:20 PM »
I don't think they will.  The last truly corporate driver in my opinion was Schumacher.  He kept everything in the back room and never questioned or challenged the team publicly.  It will be very difficult to find someone as dedicated to his fans, the team and the sport as Schumacher was.  Not saying that's necessarily good, because one thing Schumacher lacked IMO was character and charm.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 09:07:55 PM »
I cut drivers some slack for what they say during or right after a race. It's hard to stay calm when the red mist is up & your blood is about 50% adrenaline. I wouldn't put much weight in anything he might have said right after his team mate took him out of a Grand Prix.

Damon Hill doesn't think Lewis is quiting:

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/f1-champion-damon-hill-says-lewis-hamilton-not-quitting-mercedes
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 08:31:21 AM »
I think Hamilton is quite records driven,  as no doubt are a lot of drivers,  and he will want more.  To equal or beat Schumacher,  he is in the best place at the moment to do so,  so I can't see him going anywhere.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 08:45:00 AM »
Who said "show me a driver who excepts loosing and I'll show you a looser"! Lewis did everything he could within the rules and I thought it was done with an enormous amount of skill, could you say that when Senna took Prost out? Or Schumacher with Damon and Villeneuve which were blatant and as for the Ferrari of Vettel catching Lewis after a pass on Nico who were they kidding.
Lewis takes F1 to the USA and nobody else does that and if they were to sack him I'm sure he'll get snapped up although I'm not sure where.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 03:46:49 AM »
I don't think they will.  The last truly corporate driver in my opinion was Schumacher.  He kept everything in the back room and never questioned or challenged the team publicly.  It will be very difficult to find someone as dedicated to his fans, the team and the sport as Schumacher was.  Not saying that's necessarily good, because one thing Schumacher lacked IMO was character and charm.

Schumacher certainly brought a lot of interest in F1 to Germany, and that's clearly waned since he's left, despite a massive German presence in the sport.  We can argue about his character and charm, but he clearly meant more to his countrymen than Vettel, Rosberg or the Mercedes brand.

I suppose each nationality has their own idea of who makes an intriguing F1 driver.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 04:26:18 PM »
I think that Schumacher driving for Ferrari added that extra bit that interested German fans. Despite Merc dominating F1 nearly every time they've entered, Ferrari remains the mystical presence in F1.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 07:47:14 PM »
I think that Schumacher driving for Ferrari added that extra bit that interested German fans. Despite Merc dominating F1 nearly every time they've entered, Ferrari remains the mystical presence in F1.

I won't disagree with that, but Vettel is racing for Ferrari now, and Germans don't seem to care

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 09:37:11 PM »
They're not winning and, as you said, Michael had personality. Vettel has flashes but doesn't maintain the high level.
Lonny

Offline Warmwater

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 02:31:02 PM »
Lewis will stay where he is until another team starts beating Mercedes ;)
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 03:03:02 PM »

The way he jumped ship at McLaren at the exact right time... I wouldn't be surprised if he pulls the same trick again  :o

Offline Andy B

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 08:35:41 PM »

The way he jumped ship at McLaren at the exact right time... I wouldn't be surprised if he pulls the same trick again  :o

If my memory serves me well he jumped ship while McLaren were, and still are, in the doldrums and everyone at the time asked what did he think he was doing! History has proven it to be the right choice which has not always been the case as proven with Vettel to Ferrari and Alonso back to McLaren but now we have the regulation changes and the balance of power could change!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle