collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 621
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: new series for bern  (Read 4031 times)

Offline Dare

new series for bern
« on: January 27, 2017, 02:38:03 PM »
surely he's too old for this and cart and Champ tried this and it
ruined both series

http://www.planetf1.com/news/a-rival-series-for-bernie/

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

Re: new series for bern
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 03:22:13 PM »
1)  Doesn't Bernie own Formula E?

2)  If the new series is beyond the FIA, I'm already intrigued.  (I'm not opposed to the FIA, but I like when a sport association can control all aspects)

3)  I wouldn't worry about a CART/IRL style war of attrition.  Lessons from that era have been learned, and I'm pretty sure that Bernie himself played a key role in killing openwheel competition.  Not every rival sports league ends in failure.  Major League baseball survived the American League, the National Football League survived the American Football League, the National Basketball Association survived the American Basketball Association (um... what's the deal with upstart Americans?  Surely there are examples in other professional sports leagues?) and the World Hockey Association is one of the best things to ever happen to the National Hockey League.

4)  Bernie has been quoted as saying his hobby was running F1.  Whatever we think of him, he was doing what he loved.  I'm not surprised that after having his toys taken away he's going to look for another set just the same.  Even if it never happens, he'll enjoy the wheeling and dealing involved in a failed series.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 04:59:18 PM »
I'm not surprised Bernie would react that way. Judging by the first moves from Liberty, F1 might even accelerate its downhill slide. I can see many fans telling Bernie & Chase "A pox on both your houses" and heading off to sports car racing.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 09:07:29 PM »
I wonder if this could be related: Lamborghini (and former Ferrari) boss Stefano Domenicali says that Lambo would consider entering a lower cost F1.

"I want to be very honest with you -- today we have other priorities, and we have to be very focused on them. Tomorrow? Motorsport will always be a part of Lamborghini, so if the platform changes, then the answer is, 'Why not?'

"For us, to enter with the level of costs that are necessary, not only to race but to be competitive, it is too far from what we want,” he said. “So if we see a change in that specific area, I think it's worth considering.”

I wonder whom all Bernie has talked with about this.

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/lower-costs-could-bring-lamborghini-f1

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 11:48:18 PM »
The interesting thing for me is who owns the GP2 & GP3 series rights, we know they run as part of the F1 weekends at most circuits during the season, but does FOM (or FOG as we must now call it) own the rights or does Bernie, or someone else?  :DntKnw:

I'm sure there may be a contract for GP2 & 3 to be on the F1 calendar for 17 but are they committed after that?  :DntKnw:

A lot of heavily funded drivers join GP2 & 3 because of the exposure to the F1 teams and the possible feeder consequences to move up. So there may be a lot of funding in waiting for young drivers who get some sort of guarantee to  progress to playing with the big boys in GP1. 

Just as F1 brought F2 cars onto the grid to make up numbers in the very early championship years Bernie building a Gp1 series from some breakaway, new or double up entrants with F1, may prove workable if he can offer a full race card, GP1, 2 & 3,to tracks that join in.

We have been repeatedly told F1 does not own or wish to own tracks so there may be plenty who will welcome a cheaper rival series: - well cheaper at first that is!!!  ;) 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Dare

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 02:52:48 PM »
who owns GP2?I don't know if the owners have changed
since this article

http://www.pitpass.com/33215/GP2-Series-gets-a-new-owner
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 05:36:39 PM »

Seems Bernie wont be able to use GP2 as a means to aid a new series then.

No doubt he will have negotiated, or at least pushed for, that GP2 deal
- so he appears to have speared himself in the foot with that one.  :D
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 11:22:12 PM »
I reckon this is a bargaining tool. Would love to see what it will cost Liberty in influence to end the breakaway threat.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 07:18:28 AM »
F1 Fanatic is reporting Bernie as saying he has no desire to damage F1 or to start a rival series.   :DntKnw:
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 01:48:57 PM »
F1 Fanatic is reporting Bernie as saying he has no desire to damage F1 or to start a rival series.   :DntKnw:

He said that the last three times as well...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Dare

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 02:00:17 PM »

a few years late on that one

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 02:18:08 PM »
I only trust what Bernie says on the 2nd Monday of any week.
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle