collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 586
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Web Sites for F1 fans  (Read 2332 times)

Offline Wizzo

Web Sites for F1 fans
« on: March 14, 2007, 09:24:25 AM »

What is happening to F1 web sites?

When I started this site last year it was called F1Wizard, after a short period of time I was politely notified by the FIA that I was in breach of copyright because they own the term F1 in every language. Apparently they have a whole department looking for web sites that are breaking the rules. Fair enough I thought, so I changed the name to GPWizard and all is well.

I now know of two other web sites suffering from F1 red tape, unfortunately I cannot name them for legal reasons.

Site No 1. Are being sued by Mr Schumacher's solicitors for having a picture of him in their drivers section. Of course, the site immediately removed the picture but it's too little too late and the site has been closed due to the rising court costs.

Site No 2. Have been forced to close for showing a picture of a 2006 McLaren race car. The web site has the full permission from the owner of the picture to show it on the internet. The owner of the picture took it at a 2006 Grand Prix whilst the car was driving around the track. McLaren's answer to this is, you may own the picture but we own the paint work on the car and you are displaying it without our permission. What?

I understand copyright laws and what they protect, but shouldn't there be some mercy for people and/or sites that are for the good of the sport. We all make mistakes like I did by using 'F1', they asked me to remove it, so I did - the end.

I don't understand F1 sometimes, web sites like GPWizard aren't run by massive corporations trying to make huge profits. They are run and payed for by the site owner for fans and like minded individuals who love the sport. Ask any major company if they would mind 5,000 websites all promoting their products for free and I know what their answer would be - YES PLEASE!

Perhaps there way of thinking is if there are no individual sites then fans would be forced to use the big corporate F1 sites and look at their big corporate adverts.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline cosworth151

Re: Web Sites for F1 fans
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 09:43:39 AM »
In the case of the McLaren, over here I think that would be covered by the "fair use" section of the law. It is what allows pictures taken at public venues to be used for things like news coverage. A few years ago, the Supreme Court even ruled that "fair use" covered use for satire.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

davewilson

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 10:13:07 AM »
We had better watch out for the FIA and check they can't pull us up for something or another.
I agree with Wizard sites such as GP Wizard are run by people who have a love of the sport,and in a way promote it.

I do feel we should cover ourselves with a disclaimer of some kind, and any breaches of the copyright should be reported to the Wizard to remove or take action.

I like the Wizard, can only see it as trying to close down sites such as this,which bring i hope enjoyment to our members.Common sense all round on this one FIA (sorry can i say that?)

Had to use an orange box...no soapboxes left.

The Stig

Offline romephius

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 10:53:24 AM »
The interesting thing is that most copyright law is only enforced when profit is being made from something that could still be covered in "fair use".  Most government sites where we have photocopiers have a copy of the copyright law stuck to the wall above it.....so I have read the Australian legislation many times......funnily enough it hasn't changed since 1969.  Generally, your only obligation with "fair use" items is to have a notice stating where the material comes from. 

I think some form of disclaimer would be a great Idea, otherwise things like my video could get us all into some hot water.  And of course that is the last thing I want for the Wizard or this site.

Rom.

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 08:51:23 PM »
Thai's why I've always said Nascar,ChampCar,and Irl
is more fan friendly than F1!I just don't know why f1
doesn't want it's fans to promote their sport
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

davewilson

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 09:12:45 PM »
It all comes down to ABBA.............MONEY MONEY MONEY.......IN A RICH MANS WORLD

The Stig

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 12:18:16 PM »

Thats very true, but if they keep kicking the little guys, then soon there won't be any little guys around.

Sometimes I really do think these corporations and organizations think they are indestructible - the worrying thing is, they just might be!

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Ian

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 02:23:19 PM »
The thing that really shows them up is that I've read things on here eg:- rule changes, tyre rules etc long before they reach the dailies. They really are a petty lot ain't they
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle