collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 575
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Villenueve has a point  (Read 2148 times)

Offline lkjohnson1950

Lonny

Offline Robem64

Re: Villenueve has a point
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 06:15:56 AM »
On this occasion I think JV has hit the nail on the head re driver talent.
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Calman

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 06:22:29 AM »
Well, let's face it, JV is typically way off track with most of his views, so he is bound to get it right once in a while.   I do admit that he has a "bit of a point" ... especially towards the journey getting to F1.  A lot has to change in the sport by 2021, as there are real concerns ... and in my honest opinion, the new boss and his "vision" to "make F1 great again" ... is my main concern.

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

guest3164

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 07:22:28 AM »
As they say, even a broken clock is right twice a day (digital aside, of course), but yeah, I agree with JV here.  It should not be so expensive and exclusive, I dread to think of the missed talent out there.

Offline Calman

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 07:35:52 AM »
In many ways, it goes against the grain of everything F1 stands for, but I think the word needed is "simplify" ... as spoken about to this point by pundits, technical chiefs in F1, presenters etc, simplify the front wings, simplify the tyre compounds/options, simplify costs to potential new venues, simplify the route/sponsorship/costs involved in reaching F1 ... and come up with a better alternative to those DAMN HALOS!!!!!!!!

Yes, some of the above is clearly unrealistic in the eyes of "current F1 running" .. but I would like a crack at changing our sport for the better (although you can keep the handlebar moustache, patchy stubble and lightning bolt eyebrows - I think I can manage without then!!!).

Best Regards,

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 08:29:01 AM »
I don't remember who said it, but long ago someone like Henry Manney or Rob Walker said the best driver in the world probably wasn't even racing but was driving a taxi in NYC or Rome or a truck on some dirt trail in Columbia or Peru. Could be. 
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 04:34:44 PM »
And of course JV himself never benefitted from his fathers legacy to get a leg up into motor racing.

He was in the first group of sons of F1 or top class motorsport drivers that suddenly started appearing in feeder or comparative series. I'm sure his family, family friends or  family friendly sponsors will have funded and opened doors for his, and others, enrolment into the sort of teams that ran better machinery helping ease their career path to F1.

Sure the base of motorsport has become hugely expensive, driven a lot I suggest by the likes of the Villeneuve clan and others showing that the investment can result in achieving titles in the top line motor racing series.
JV you may have had a silver spoon, but a silver tongue never...………. your gob is just full of barbs.  :P

In reality F1 and other series are simply returning to their roots of gentlemen drivers able to pay for their own car and entry to a race. Everyone bangs on about the history being kept alive, well historically it was those with money that raced, then it became a way to make (or lose) a lot of money, now it's heading back to the well heeled only area.

To me this is only really an issue if you can prove that we all get the same life chances.
I don't recall F1 ever being a democracy or a fair playing field......in fact is any sport?  :DntKnw:   

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 05:36:35 PM »
I don't remember who said it, but long ago someone like Henry Manney or Rob Walker said the best driver in the world probably wasn't even racing but was driving a taxi in NYC or Rome or a truck on some dirt trail in Columbia or Peru. Could be.

True, and that applies in just about every industry and sport.  The top got to the top by a combination of luck, ingenuity and hard work...not necessarily talent or skill. Right place, right time is also an important factor.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Calman

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 06:25:05 PM »

So .... something like this?

I think the 2nd best un-Formula 1 driver in the world runs a vegetable stall at a local market???

Best Regards,

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle