collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 574
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: First round of testing is done... so who's going to win 2019?  (Read 3568 times)

Offline cosworth151

Re: First round of testing is done... so who's going to win 2019?
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2019, 03:14:50 PM »
No surprise there. Standard Ferrari operational mode.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2019, 03:25:08 PM »
I didn't think anyone on here was naive enough to think that Ferrari will not favour Vettel  :o

If any Ferrari driver wins the WDC it will only ever be Vettel  :sick:

I’m not so sure.  Ferrari has historically been much more interested in the WCC than the WDC.  It will have more to do with mathematical chances after mid season.

Maybe when Enzo was in charge, but ever since Barichello and Massa made a botch of pulling over for Schumacher, it's pretty clear that Ferrari has a number one driver. 

There's nothing wrong with that, the drivers know what they're signing up for, after all.  But they're not fair minded.

All the same, you're right, if LeClerc finds himself ahead of Vettel, they're pragmatic enough to recognize who the number one driver is.  (Of course, in 2010 Webber was RBR's number one driver and Vettel won the championship anyway)

Offline Scott

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2019, 06:25:08 AM »
Every teams operational mode is to use their most expensive driver optimally.  More experienced, more proven...the key phrase is in the headline - “if required”.  Ferrari is not at all unique in this manner yet get spanked about it far more than others even though RBR and Merc are far more blatant about it.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 07:20:59 AM »
Don't fully agree about Mercedes. They only favour a driver when it is either totally necessary or has been earned by the leading driver. Ferrari and Red Bull will clearly favour Vettel and Max from the start. Probably as Jeri said contractually.
On that subject I think team orders and number 2 contracts should be banned completely. Even the famous "Fernando is faster than you" moment made me cringe, baby cakes should have got passed him on merit. It spoils the whole spectacle for fans, who let's face it,  without us there would be no sport.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2019, 03:20:36 PM »
Don't fully agree about Mercedes. They only favour a driver when it is either totally necessary or has been earned by the leading driver.

In the Rosberg/Hamilton era Mercedes was dominant enough to let the drivers 'have at it' without really worrying about either title.  Then Bottas came along and was (with all due respect Valteri) one step behind and not a threat to defeat Hamilton.  In 2018, where there was a real risk of not claiming the WDC, Mercedes DID ask Bottas to hand over places to Hamilton.  I believe they would have done this all along, but they never needed to.

So, Mercedes is as bad as RBR and Ferrari for declaring a #1 driver... they just were never in enough danger to need to do so until last year.

(And of course in the Schumacher/Rosberg era, even though Rosberg was arguably the better of the two, Mercedes would never be caught dead letting anyone think for a second that Schumacher wasn't being treated as the #1.  I wonder if that held them back at all?)

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2019, 03:32:11 PM »
My point is, Mercedes favoured Hamilton last year because they had to and because he had earned number 1 status. If Bottas was leading, he would have been favoured.
Ferrari and Red Bull have their favourites from the start and even implement team orders when it is NOT necessary. Just ask Rubens and Webber

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2019, 03:47:32 PM »
My point is, Mercedes favoured Hamilton last year because they had to and because he had earned number 1 status. If Bottas was leading, he would have been favoured.
Ferrari and Red Bull have their favourites from the start and even implement team orders when it is NOT necessary. Just ask Rubens and Webber

Toto always seemed nervous about letting Hamilton and Rosberg race each other, but was more scared of looking like a spoilsport by not letting them race.  (And of course upsetting the apple cart by declaring a diva-ish Hamilton #2... or the German on a German team #2)

If Rosberg had stayed on for 2017, it could have been very tense at Mercedes with a stronger Ferrari to fend off they might have had to declare a number one.  Nico didn't want to go through that (can't say I blame him) and did Toto a favour by stepping down.

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2019, 05:17:07 PM »
Rosberg retired because he knew he could never be so lucky twice, so he took the cowardly option and retired  :yahoo: Never liked him anyway.

Btw....I have a message for Leclerc.... watch the 2019 Carabao Cup final and please have the same attitude as the Chelsea goalkeeper. Might end up retiring another German if you did  :DD :yahoo:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle