collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 573
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: McLaren Threaten to Quit ...  (Read 3206 times)

Offline Calman

McLaren Threaten to Quit ...
« on: March 24, 2019, 10:28:20 PM »
Like myself, are you all getting a bit sick & tired of these "threaten to quit" quotes from teams up and down the grid??? ... I've lost count now, but in the last 24 months, Haas, Red Bull, Ferrari and now McLaren are throwing the toys out of the pram.   If this keeps up, maybe Williams have a chance of getting back to the front (sorry Luke!).

I fully appreciate that some team's threats have substance, but c'mon, it's getting a bit OLD.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/1104682/McLaren-F1-news-Ferrari-Zak-Brown-Liberty-Media

Best Regards,
Cal :)

Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Jericoke

Re: McLaren Threaten to Quit ...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 02:06:16 AM »
Bernie was a master of making sure that each and every team felt like they were getting 'the best' of each Concorde.

Of course, his secret was to keep each individual deal secret, wasn't it?

Offline Calman

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 02:45:31 AM »
Hmm, well ...

Oh yes, I missed out Renault, as Cyril made some rumblings about his team quitting F1 (argument relating to sister teams?? ... can't honestly remember Renault's dispute!).

Best Regards,

guest3164

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 07:21:17 AM »
I am threatening to quit unless Cal makes his criticisms of the teams more balanced and equal so there is a fair share of jesting in all directions.   :tease:

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 08:45:03 AM »
This is typical conduct in the run-up to a new version of the baseline agreements in F1. Remember 2009 (the beginning of what turned out to be a 3-year process), when we nearly lost every team except Force India at one point, and it turned out Force India had signed up for the non-limited version of the regulations and thus messed up Max Moseley's plans?
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline rmassart

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 11:38:44 AM »
I just read over on the BBC about trying to introduce a budget cap (https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/47691443).

I never fully understood how that would work. How on earth do you put a cap on the amount of money Ferrari or Mercedes spend on developing their engines. Any cap can easily be worked around.

I wonder whether we need to go in the direction of thinking of teams as "integrators" of off the shelf parts. All parts should be available to all teams and they buy the ones they think are the best. Each manufacturer would have to produce enough parts to cover a minimal demand. Eg engines:  a manufacturer would have to produce "X" engines per team that they are partnered with (plus a minimum of engines, eg 3X). These engines would cost a fix amount to all the teams. The engines are sealed, then go in a basket and are assigned at random to the teams paying for them (to prevent manufacturers adapting the engines for the works team).  Each time there is an improvement to the engine, the process starts again.

I am fully aware that this is quite complex and all rather back of the envelope thinking, but we will never get rid of the "big 3" unless the connection between manufacturers and teams is cut.

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 01:32:47 PM »
Oh this again  :lazy:
Every year someone always threatens to quit. Problem is everyone wants more and no one is willing to have less.
In my opinion this sport has never been fair. There has always been the top dogs, middle of the road and bottom teams. Something needs to change though because the gap is just getting bigger.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 02:11:18 PM »
Oh this again  :lazy:
Every year someone always threatens to quit. Problem is everyone wants more and no one is willing to have less.
In my opinion this sport has never been fair. There has always been the top dogs, middle of the road and bottom teams. Something needs to change though because the gap is just getting bigger.

The trick with economics is that it's not a 'zero sum game'.  Liberty's job is to make the pie as big as possible so that everyone's slice gets bigger.  I'd rather take 10 percent of a billion dollars than 50 percent of a million.

The best way to make the 'pie' bigger is to get everyone moving in the same direction and grow the sport.  For good or bad, F1's marquee name is Ferrari, and having Ferrari involved, and competitive, brings in money for everyone. It's worth it to McLaren, Williams et all to make Ferrari happy, because it increases their own income.  And Mercedes and Red Bull bring a lot of brand recognition to the sport, and provide competition so it's not just all Ferrari all the time, so making THEM happy is important too.

Ideally F1 needs to grow apart from the teams.  Casual fans will watch a variety of sports irregardless of who's competing.  F1 needs to aim for that, and it takes the non-Ferrari teams to become 'bigger' names. That really needs to be on the teams themselves.

Offline TimmyTime

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 04:10:47 PM »
Always been one rule for Ferrari and one for everyone else and they still can't win since 08 constructors  :DD :DD
FIA Ferrari International Assistance more like.
Thing is teams like McLaren are winners. More money of a bigger pie is good but as the pie gets bigger so does the gap if it is worked on percentages. I say split it fairly and let Ferrari moan if they do and quit bye bye I won't miss you. Also take your finger wagger with you!

British based teams just produce better cars what can I say. Maybe I am just over patriotic

#Believe in Britain....pass that on to Theresa please
You have heard of Hammer time..this is TimmyTime

Offline Calman

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 06:09:37 PM »
Ooooh, British Politics, Lovely!!!  :D

So, what will occur 1st, Following distances in F1 will improve - or - Brexit will finally be OVER.

I do find it hilarious that the majority of Scotland voted to stay in the EU, England's majority voted to leave, while London wanted to stay - the very venue of ... well, you know the rest!!

Best Regards,

Best Regards,

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 06:38:01 PM »

So, what will occur 1st, Following distances in F1 will improve - or - Brexit will finally be OVER.

I do find it hilarious that the majority of Scotland voted to stay in the EU, England's majority voted to leave, while London wanted to stay - the very venue of ... well, you know the rest!!

Best Regards,

Best Regards,

Can't let this Scotland nonsense cloud judgements anymore, the East of England - a designated region by EU rules - with same or slightly bigger population to Scotland voted out as did other similarly sized regions of England.
Scotland just like Ferrari always wants to feel they are more important than the figures suggest.    …… rant over.  :-*

In answer to your first question is both will take a very long time :-
(1) Even if present EU deal accepted it's only transition, a framework to work in whilst permanent treaties are decided. So years and years there.
(2) Law of diminishing returns seems to apply in F1 rules, try to slow cars down or stop downforce and the opposite seems to take place.
How many years til they work out allowing the designers to find more speed unrestricted might have opposite effect - cars might prove unstable or unable to be handled by the drivers.  :crazy:
Teams might then make the drivers reduce the number of shunts and offs from these superquick monster machines by driving them like they're chauffeuring Miss Daisy.  :D
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Calman

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 06:53:11 PM »
You have to "be" Scottish, as judgements from the outside are pointless.  One day we will rule the world.

Okay, so I'll put my jab stick back in it's case ... for now!!  :yahoo: :DD |-( :good: :DntKnw: :swoon:

Best Regards,

Offline TimmyTime

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 07:08:03 PM »

Best Regards,

Best Regards,

Hopefully Brexit ASAP with no deal  :D

52% voted to leave or 65% of constituencies voted to leave. Either way we leave.

As for the following distances, as long as Hamilton is in front they can stay forever  :D
You have heard of Hammer time..this is TimmyTime

Offline Calman

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2019, 07:11:04 PM »
I think Hammy may be eager for a convincing win this weekend Timmy!

So, whatever Ferrari are/were holding back, let's hope we see some close racing at the front this coming weekend.

Oh yeah, c'mon Danny Ric ... we need you close to the front too (well, top 7-8 to start with).

Best Regards,

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2019, 09:03:33 AM »
I voted Remain and am even more solidly Remain than I was two years ago (my constituency has veered from solid Leave to what appears to be solid Remain in that time)... ...but I don't want to wreck this thread with a political argument. (All I'm going to say at this juncture is that TimmyTime should be happy as Theresa appears to be trying to force a hard Brexit through the back door, because the Tories wouldn't accept it through the front door).

As for the arrangement provided, I think F1 gaps will reduce first, if only because that might happen by 2030.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle