collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 115
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16139 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12978 Posts
John S John S
11249 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Suzuka Cancelled  (Read 4605 times)

Offline rmassart

Re: Suzuka Cancelled
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2021, 08:34:12 PM »
...I have not met anyone during my 30years of travelling in China that feels oppressed. They follow rules because they are brought up to respect authority.

I doubt they would admit being oppressed to their business partners. Ask the owners of Alibaba and Tencent what they think right now! And I am not sure how much they freely respect authority and how much of that is authoritarian rule. What I saw in Bulgaria after Communism collapsed there was half a nation who lost all respect for living in a society and behaved however they wanted and ruined it for the other half. In short authoritarian rule has never taught anyone to respect anything. They just have obedience beaten into them.

I read an interesting article recently that suggested the UK is the only country in the World that is reporting accurately

This might be true, because they have health care system that enables them to be very uniform about how they collect data (other countries also have good healthcare systems but they are federal in nature without central control, eg Germany where results are still faxed between institutions!).  This system is also great for running studies and it is why as far as I remember most of the initial epidemiological studies on Covid came out of the UK. So the UK death rate is probably more accurate than most other countries. The case rate on the other hand is purely a function of how much you test and I am not convinced that these numbers can be compared between countries anymore. You want a low case rate? Stop testing! :-)

Offline Monty

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2021, 09:14:18 AM »
I doubt they would admit being oppressed to their business partners. Ask the owners of Alibaba and Tencent what they think right now! And I am not sure how much they freely respect authority and how much of that is authoritarian rule. What I saw in Bulgaria after Communism collapsed there was half a nation who lost all respect for living in a society and behaved however they wanted and ruined it for the other half. In short authoritarian rule has never taught anyone to respect anything. They just have obedience beaten into them.
My job has required me to work with Chinese colleagues for 20years; visiting several times a year. I am confident that (at least in the regions I work - Guangdong, Zhongshan, Hunan & Shanghai) the people are very happy and generally support the Central Government. They have seen massive improvements in the lifestyle of their families over the years and if they work hard they get the rewards.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2021, 10:17:43 AM »
Of course it is impossible to be sure if 'reported' information is correct (I read an interesting article recently that suggested the UK is the only country in the World that is reporting accurately). However, China is reporting approximately 30 new cases per day (in >1.2billion population!!!). Most regions are considered completely safe but some parts of Shanghai and Jiangsu are at 'Medium Risk' level. China has administered over 2billion vaccinations and they are just opening up vaccinations for 12 to 14year olds. None of our staff have had the disease and none of them know anyone that has had the disease. Currently the only way anyone can visit China is to isolate in a Government Hotel for 2weeks after entry (I have chosen not to visit - the hotels I normally stay in are 'basic' and not tailored for westerners so I dread to think what a Government selected hotel would be like!)

Sounds like it's pot luck - you might get a windowless room or you might get a 5-star hotel with a sea view. The government picked the hotels for cleanliness and staff who understand the protocols fully, not for conventional indicators of quality. This is partly based on how many people get isolated (if you are not going to Beijing or anywhere else on Medium Alert, you're only isolated if you are 3 or fewer rows away from a positive case. And yes, people going to Beijing via land get isolated for 2 weeks, not just international arrivals. Otherwise you do quarantine in the location you registered you were staying). International people cannot go to High Alert locations to avoid making the situations there worse (as far as I know, no part of China currently has that status, but it's a tool in reserve in case of need).

I'm also going to add that the windowless rooms may be terrible, but they're charging $770 for the stay. In the UK, it's £2250 - with a guarantee of 2-star treatment (a window is guaranteed because otherwise the hotel could not have 2-star status) but it almost certainly won't be allowed to be open, due to protocols for securing airflow intended to prevent infections outside the hotel).

By the way, according to Dieter Rencken, Qatar is waiting for proof that F1 won't be a super-spreader event before accepting an offer to be F1's "TBA" race. If it doesn't like what it sees, the "TBA" race will be Bahrain (which did the vaccinations for the non-UK-based teams).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 11:50:38 AM by Alianora La Canta »
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle