collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 548
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 24 for 23 Races next year that is!  (Read 3619 times)

Offline Andy B

24 for 23 Races next year that is!
« on: September 20, 2022, 09:46:46 PM »
Just announced by the FIA 24 races in 2023 but is this too many?
I'm thinking of the teams not the drivers they must get a certain amount of burnout!
I feel it is too many and maybe a just to better the income.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.f1-announces-24-race-calendar-for-2023.7oNRaq4kZ2bwTAmL7r6dqg.html

Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline rmassart

Re: 24 for 23 Races next year that is!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 10:14:22 PM »
Never mind the teams, I'll get burn out just trying to watch all those races!

As the percentage of races I can watch decreases, I lose the thread running through the season and my enjoyment of the sport also decreases. Eventually it simply becomes another sport to watch, so I give up. I hope I never reach that point, but I can see it happening :-(

16 races was more than enough back in the last century!

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 10:41:13 PM »
What makes it worse is we had a 4 week hiatus and now were
having a 3 week one. I lose interest
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Online Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 01:44:22 PM »
A little 'outside the box' idea here.

As far as I know, there's no 'rule' that F1 is limited to one season per year.  Take the calendar, with the 'summer break' and split it into 2 seasons.  The personnel who travel in the 'spring season' then stay home for the 'fall season' and vice versa.  2 champions per year.  You can still watch an entire F1 season without committing to watching 24 races.  Mid year, when the cars have caught up with surprise design tricks, and the FIA is trying to put in some rules to close loopholes gives teams a fresh start in the points.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 03:16:33 PM »
Racing in Miami on Sunday and then needing to be in Baku 4 days later on Thursday to set up won't be easy on anyone involved.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2022, 09:08:43 PM »

As far as I know, there's no 'rule' that F1 is limited to one season per year.  Take the calendar, with the 'summer break' and split it into 2 seasons.  The personnel who travel in the 'spring season' then stay home for the 'fall season' and vice versa.  2 champions per year.  You can still watch an entire F1 season without committing to watching 24 races.  Mid year, when the cars have caught up with surprise design tricks, and the FIA is trying to put in some rules to close loopholes gives teams a fresh start in the points.

There's enough gimmicks already
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Andy B

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2022, 09:59:05 PM »
Never mind the teams, I'll get burn out just trying to watch all those races!

As the percentage of races I can watch decreases, I lose the thread running through the season and my enjoyment of the sport also decreases. Eventually it simply becomes another sport to watch, so I give up. I hope I never reach that point, but I can see it happening :-(

16 races was more than enough back in the last century!

I'm with you on this I don't watch races now just read about them!

Offline Dare

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2022, 01:56:56 AM »
You can go to PlanetF1 and get a lap by lap commentary
of the race.

I used to do that before I got F1TV Wi th the 3 and 4 weeks between
races I'll probably drop it

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2022, 06:43:25 PM »

Unfortunately, the FIA have shown they can't administer that many races - they're on a 25% failure rate for "races run without major, race-mangling error from FIA officialdom" since the 2021 summer break.

Unless the governing body also gets to miss one of the two seasons, there will still have to be at least four fewer races per season, by my reckoning, simply so the governing body can govern the races effectively.

Oh, and permit personnel cycling (it has been prohibited for more than 10 employees since COVID).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Willy

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2022, 04:41:36 PM »
24 is a bridge too far.
Liberty is all about the $$ so adding more races in locations that will pony up is the norm now.
There has been a steady decline in F1 quality and actual race craft since Liberty bought F1 from Bernie and I can't believe I am saying this, but "it was better when Bernie ran it all".
He at least was a racer and former team owner who had racing DNA in his blood.

Liberty Media has money in its DNA and how to acquire more.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2022, 09:05:45 PM »
I quite agree Willy quality over quantity any day.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2022, 11:11:31 AM »
Liberty is all about the $$ so adding more races in locations that will pony up is the norm now.
There has been a steady decline in F1 quality and actual race craft since Liberty bought F1 from Bernie and I can't believe I am saying this, but "it was better when Bernie ran it all".

Fraid it was ever thus Willy, looking back to Bernie's tenure he was just as ruthless in pursuit of the $$s, however he was reigned in by a stronger FIA on number of races.

Now though, (a) to keep teams committed to the series via various new iterations of Concorde agreements, (b) to try to recover extra income from disastrous sale of commercial rights under Max, the FIA has ceded too much power to FOM/FOG/Liberty & Teams and can't row it back.

Yes 24 is too many,  :nono: :stop:   all we can hope is it will prove to be 'Staw that breaks Camel's back' and everyone returns to a consensus on 21, or even 20.   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2022, 02:41:25 PM »

Fraid it was ever thus Willy, looking back to Bernie's tenure he was just as ruthless in pursuit of the $$s, however he was reigned in by a stronger FIA on number of races.

Now though, (a) to keep teams committed to the series via various new iterations of Concorde agreements, (b) to try to recover extra income from disastrous sale of commercial rights under Max, the FIA has ceded too much power to FOM/FOG/Liberty & Teams and can't row it back.

Yes 24 is too many,  :nono: :stop:   all we can hope is it will prove to be 'Staw that breaks Camel's back' and everyone returns to a consensus on 21, or even 20.   

We do have to careful about what we wish for.  If they cut 4 races, is it going to be the flashy new ones, or the older 'classic' races that constantly have problems renewing contracts?

Would you give up Spa to have a 20 race calendar, or accept Miami in order to keep Monza?

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2022, 04:05:32 PM »

We do have to careful about what we wish for.  If they cut 4 races, is it going to be the flashy new ones, or the older 'classic' races that constantly have problems renewing contracts?

Would you give up Spa to have a 20 race calendar, or accept Miami in order to keep Monza?

Good point you make Jeri; Liberty and Teams would no doubt push for the highest earning option.

I believe though in the end both parties would see sense in keeping a good chunk of historic tracks, especially Monza which has been on calendar every season since the start & Silverstone since it held first ever F1 race, oh and Monaco - whilst the sponsors still have some say at least.

Unfortunately whilst I personally would prefer Spa to stay I'm rather sanguine about tracks falling off the list. Over the many years F1 has existed we have seen changes of venue both inside countries and from country to country, change is inevitable.

Many old F1 tracks either no longer exist or cannot be brought up to standard now for reasons of planning restrictions or cold hard economics. I guess it's sort of similar to the evolution of the cars & engines, F1 never stands still - it's probably a good thing to refresh the venue list too.

Seems odd though that 20 cars on the grid is plenty but 20 races is not enough.  :crazy: :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2022, 04:14:21 AM »
Not really odd, still about the money. Adding cars means a smaller slice of the pie for tha teams. More races equals a bigger pie to slice.
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle