collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 573
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1 in NZ returns to Sky NZ  (Read 924 times)

Offline Andy B

F1 in NZ returns to Sky NZ
« on: December 16, 2022, 04:35:19 AM »
I know there's a lot of you that dislike Sky but I do like their F1 coverage and here in NZ a new bunch of muppets from a phone and broadband supplier thought they could get in on the act so out bid all the usual suspects.
The reality was that they were rubbish from the start and over a period of time gradually got worse.
But the good news is that domestic cricket is returning to TVNZ which I expect to be free and from January F1 will be in the hands of Sky again.
I watched very few races this year and probably from the middle of the season didn't watch any and one thing I missed was Teds Notebook which I found informative.
So Merry Christmas!

Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Jericoke

Re: F1 in NZ returns to Sky NZ
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 01:53:25 PM »
I'm a little surprised that Canada, with 2 F1 drivers, a team owner, a race that has been run successfully for decades and a heritage of race winners, has a stable of solid racing correspondents (a large portion of IndyCar coverage is done by Canadians, and Gerald Donaldson is a widely regarded F1 historian and writer) doesn't have its own F1 coverage (just importing the Sky broadcast), yet NZ did have its own broadcast?

I do agree, I'm quite happy with the Sky coverage.  Kravitz and Brundle both bring solid expertise and experience

We did get a new 'racing themed' TV channel in the summer, and they have a weekly F1 magazine type show, I was disappointed that it was just an international syndicated package, nothing 'Canadian' about it.

*I'm only talking about English language coverage in Canada.  No idea what goes on in the French language broadcast.  Maybe we do have a home grown one, or maybe they just piggy back off the France based coverage.

Offline Andy B

Re: F1 in NZ returns to Sky NZ
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 08:10:09 PM »
Remembering that New Zealand is just a little country with a population of just 5 million having our own F1 broadcast would not be financially viable so its down to Sky UK to supply the feed, from January, to Sky NZ.
From my perspective having lived most of my life in the UK the UK coverage has always been preferable and there are many that will supply a feed although I cannot understand some of them. LOL
Spark Sport here were hopeless so I dropped them and had watched a few races of the F1.com feed which was OK but still preferred the Sky broadcast which I'm pleased to go back to.
I'm surprised Canada does not have a its own broadcast for all the reasons you stated Jeri and with F1 determined to crack the US it seems a little odd to exclude Canada. Once while holidaying in the US I went into an Indycar store and asked if the knew the F1 result and he said "Why would we know" which I suppose is fair comment.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle