collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 574
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1's real US problem is not more races but chaotic TV coverage.  (Read 2638 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Paul Stoddard, former Minardi team owner, points finger at TV coverage as being No 1 problem with building F1 audience in US (see story below from Racingnews365.com).

Can it really be true that F1 coverage in US roams channels on an adhoc basis???  :o

Us Brits had some idea our esteemed friends in the US have a difficult time finding proper TV coverage of races, but the scenario Stoddie outlines is a complete shock to us.

We complain about having to pay for proper access via SKY, but at least the free to air offering is broadcast at stated times on the designated channel, with any change to that being signposted in advance and on the day.

F1 must solve United States TV crisis

I saw the race live on TV in Indianapolis in the USA, but there was no build-up, and straight after the chequered flag and the podium ceremony they just cut away.

The Americans really don't care about their coverage of Formula 1 racing. If they cared, they would have it on a channel consistently - which they don't, it's on three different channels.

When I checked all this ahead of the race weekend, it was all supposed to be on one channel, there was a delay on qualifying, but everything else was pretty much scheduled in. But then no, it is not on, and there is no announcement. You could never set anything up to record, because you would be completely messed around.

F1 can do a lot about improving its American audience if they sorted out the TV offering. It is ESPN sometimes. This time it was ABC, despite being announced it was on ESPN.

Then you have got ESPN, ESPN 2 and ESPN 3 - the latter being a subscription channel. So unless you are a diehard F1 fan, you have really got to hunt around and don't take anything in the scheduling as actually being gospel. It will change, and it does change. F1 is not high enough up the food chain of importance out here.

I was watching the Azerbaijan Grand Prix from the USA as well, and they delayed the start by 45 minutes because there was an overrun on some kind of volleyball tournament they were showing but, again, without any announcement.

I really feel for any American fans that really want to be fans because they have got to work twice as hard as anyone in the world to be chasing the actual race around.

What I will say in their defence is they have actually changed to take Sky TV commentators. It used to be worse because they had American commentators who frankly knew nothing about F1.

They could do a lot better and get a lot more fans by simply scheduling the races on one channel, free-to-air and do it with consistency, it is all it will take.

Article courtesy Paul Stoddard, Racingnews365.com, 29th May 23.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 11:08:59 AM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

Re: F1's real US problem is not more races but chaotic TV coverage.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 03:56:26 PM »
Indeed, F1 needs a television partner who is on board with promoting the sport.  ABC/ESPN should be a good fit.  ABC is the free to air network, and ESPN is the paid subscription service, both owned by Disney.  Canada has a similar arrangement, CTV is free to air, and TSN is the paid subscription service.  Most races are on TSN, but sometimes the big ones (i.e., Canadian GP) are on CTV.  They do promote it, but naturally other sports get more promotion, especially hockey and NFL football.

I would think part of the issue is that F1 has grown in popularity in USA because of Drive to Survive on Netflix.  Even if ESPN is willing to pay more to carry F1, maybe Netflix is a better partner, to have F1 all in one place.  It gets around the issues of having time slots change, since Netflix doesn't have time slots.  It gets around the issues of 'promotion', since Netflix's main business is promoting their own shows.  Most Americans think 'ESPN' when it comes to sports, but there's no reason why Netflix couldn't horn in on it.

(Disney also owns streaming services Hulu and ESPN+.  I know nothing of either, since they don't operate in Canada.  They should also be able to solve whatever problems American viewers are having, but I don't feel like Disney+ pushes their content nearly as well as Netflix does)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 04:36:25 PM »
It's even a little worse. Sometimes Free Practice and/or Quali end up on ESPN U, with is supposed to be for college and university sports.

I do recommend the website TVRacer.com. It does a very good job of keeping up with what racing is being shown where on TV over here.

I have to disagree about Netflix. That would put it totally out of reach for many fans. Most of the IMSA races moved to a similar channel, Peacock. I gave up on it. Why should I pay for tons of sitcoms and "reality" shows that I didn't watch when they were free to air just to get a few races?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 08:45:32 PM »
I don't think it's as bad as made out. ABC and ESPN are owned
by the same people. ABC usually shows the races in North America.
As for as the US announcers hot knowing anything about F1 I'm sure us US fans would like to have Varsh and Hobbs back again

Maybe Paul didn't know as much about F1 as he thinks.Hs cars were always back runners
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 09:46:24 AM »

Maybe Paul didn't know as much about F1 as he thinks.Hs cars were always back runners

Ooh - That's fighting talk Dare in defence of US knowledge of F1.  :D

Mind you I sometimes think Brundle and Crofty, on Sky, don't fully understand F1 when they question validity of pit calls or tyre choices that are obviously alternate strategy, or defence moves against mid field competitors in the race, to the rest of us.  ;)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2023, 01:11:28 PM »

Ooh - That's fighting talk Dare in defence of US knowledge of F1.  :D

Mind you I sometimes think Brundle and Crofty, on Sky, don't fully understand F1 when they question validity of pit calls or tyre choices that are obviously alternate strategy, or defence moves against mid field competitors in the race, to the rest of us.  ;)

Certainly the job of commenting on live sports is a difficult task.  You need to provide the detail that fans need to appreciate the complexity of the sport, but you also need to provide information and context for casual/new fans who may not understand anything about the sport.

As a hockey fan, I've seen commentators work on both Canadian broadcasts and American broadcast for the NHL.  On the Canadian side, they'll provide fantastic deep insight, and on the American side it feels more like they're constantly explaining the rules.

Offline Willy

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2023, 02:43:48 PM »
Being in Canada has always been a challenge when it comes to watching F1 on TV. The main network to cover it, CTV would often let a longer running program preemt the start of the race and then would just dump you into the race when the other program ended.
I now watch F1 on F1 TV which I pay for as a monthly subscription. There are lots of things to watch and the coverage is good.
No, I don't get any grid walks or anything like that but I do get quali and the race and podiums so that works. I can also watch when I want to.
It is not too expensive and it works for me.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2023, 03:52:10 AM »
I also use F1TV, at $10 per month it's not hideously expensive. The grid walk is there, just look for the pre-race show about 90 minutes before the start
Lonny

Offline Willy

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2023, 04:02:59 PM »
Oh. okay. Thanks Lonny.
I do not usually watch the Pre-race show.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2023, 10:42:32 PM »
I also use F1TV, at $10 per month it's not hideously expensive. The grid walk is there, just look for the pre-race show about 90 minutes before the start

Now if we could only get access to F1TV in Britain more people could probably afford to follow F1.
Sky wants £34.99 a month & most months there's only 2 races.  >:(

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2023, 01:59:11 AM »
Oh. okay. Thanks Lonny.
I do not usually watch the Pre-race show.

Yeah, most of it is boring. The grid walk is the last thing they do before the race.
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2023, 02:46:01 AM »
It sounds like ESPN treats F1 like Channel 4 treats Formula E...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle