collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 556
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Poll

How would you like to see this played out?

Pirelli only
Bridgestone only
Both manufacturers competing against each other
I really don't care
My rubber preference is just in underwear! LOL

Author Topic: F1 tyre supplier up for grabs.  (Read 2592 times)

Offline Andy B

F1 tyre supplier up for grabs.
« on: June 06, 2023, 10:15:42 PM »
It seems Bridgestone are throwing their hat into the F1 ring but is this to replace Pirelli or to compete against them which is nothing new and would I think add some spice to the racing.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/bridgestone-rival-pirelli-f1-tyre-tender-report/

Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Jericoke

Re: F1 tyre supplier up for grabs.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 01:06:25 AM »
I would assume it's to be the single supplier.

For the longest time I thought that having multiple suppliers would make the sport more interesting, but like everything else in F1, if one competitor becomes too strong compared to the others, it makes things less interesting.  I think having multiple compounds per race, from the same supplier, adds just enough spice to the show without risking a two tiered grid where half the cars have the 'wrong' tires for a whole season.

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 12:07:30 AM »

For the longest time I thought that having multiple suppliers would make the sport more interesting, but like everything else in F1, if one competitor becomes too strong compared to the others, it makes things less interesting.  I think having multiple compounds per race, from the same supplier, adds just enough spice to the show without risking a two tiered grid where half the cars have the 'wrong' tires for a whole season.

Jeri where you live are you being affected by the smoke?
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023, 12:57:56 PM »

Jeri where you live are you being affected by the smoke?

We've had smog advisories where I am.  The sky is hazy, but nothing like the nightmare pictures from New York and Ottawa

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2023, 08:14:57 PM »
I think it can only be one supplier. They are forced to make tyres to meet the FIA requirements so two manufacturers could not compete.

Offline Willy

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2023, 01:52:05 PM »
I like the idea of two tire manufacturers in theory but if we recall the fiasco that was Indianapolis a while back, maybe it's not such a great idea.

Offline rmassart

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2023, 02:06:31 PM »
I really don't care about the tires. What I would like though is to get rid of the tyre rule where you must use at least 2 different tyre types. We now have the budget cap. I assume this includes the tires. So if a team wants to save a few bob by running one tyre all race, why can't they? If soft tires were designed to last about a third of the race, mediums two thirds and hards a full race then teams could choose their own strategy as appropriate. I am sure in Monaco everyone would put on the hards!

In fact if a team decided to only run hards all season, they would not need the pit stop team at all. Further savings they could invest elsewhere! With the budget cap there are so many rules which now don't make sense anymore.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2023, 10:05:07 PM »
I think F1 has too many rules and it should be more open!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2023, 02:25:31 PM »
I really don't care about the tires. What I would like though is to get rid of the tyre rule where you must use at least 2 different tyre types. We now have the budget cap. I assume this includes the tires. So if a team wants to save a few bob by running one tyre all race, why can't they? If soft tires were designed to last about a third of the race, mediums two thirds and hards a full race then teams could choose their own strategy as appropriate. I am sure in Monaco everyone would put on the hards!

In fact if a team decided to only run hards all season, they would not need the pit stop team at all. Further savings they could invest elsewhere! With the budget cap there are so many rules which now don't make sense anymore.

I wonder if the tire contract is just a flat fee, or if the teams pay by the tire (set)

Do you get a discount if your wreck your car on turn one of free practice one and can't get it ready for the rest of the weekend?

I would imagine it's a flat fee, otherwise the tire supplier is stuck bringing a million tires to every race that they might not get paid for.  Even for a multibillion dollar company, that perception of wastefulness is going to be a consideration.

In the Bridgestone era they did have full race distance tire compounds, so it's not impossible.  Someone somewhere believes that pitstops are an integral part of the sport.  Either to spice things up, or to put the tire supplier in the discussion.  Probably both.

What I do miss is teams being able to order a custom allotment for the weekend.  Although that usually meant that one (or more) team(s) ordered the wrong allotment and just didn't do very well.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2023, 11:55:23 PM »

Taking away the mandatory pit stop will make many races DRS train borefests, and take away strategy choices at most others.  ::)

It could also kill off suprise wins/podiums by midfielders who luck into a beneficial safety car.  :(
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle