collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 585
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Artificial Intelligence chooses top 10 F1 drivers of all time  (Read 8442 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
The list of ten includes mostly the names you might expect but not the order you may think.  :swoon:

Just how they can claim it's unbiased is a mystery, most of what's on the world wide web that Chat Bot or any other AI can search is full of heavily subjective opinion as well as a lot of downright falsehoods. Maybe it's just a volume thing they're using, not the racing record but the online stuff.  :DntKnw:

I'm still waiting to find out how AI can differentiate properly between fact and opinion before accepting it's nothing more than an aggregator rather than a true thinker. - Ooops perhaps I'm overdoing the sceptisism!  :D   

« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 11:56:03 AM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Dare

Re: Artificial Intelligence chooses top 10 F1 drivers of all time
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2023, 02:12:42 AM »
I don't think the AI considers how dangerous the cars
were in the past. Some of the newer drivers may not have
been alive now if the drove in the 50's thru 90's

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2023, 11:58:57 AM »
For me, Schumacher is as usual, too high, while Clark is too low. I'm sure Stewart himself would say Clark was better than he. And what about other drivers whose careers were cut short by injury or death back when cars were considerably less safe? Rindt and Graham Hill come to mind. To me comparing current drivers to those of 50/60 years ago is apples to oranges. It would be fascinating to stick Lewis or Max into a Lotus 25 or 33 and see if they could match Clark's times. Cars with no aero and tires hard enough to last 3 or 4 races are entirely different animals.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2023, 01:01:16 PM »
To me comparing current drivers to those of 50/60 years ago is apples to oranges. It would be fascinating to stick Lewis or Max into a Lotus 25 or 33 and see if they could match Clark's times. Cars with no aero and tires hard enough to last 3 or 4 races are entirely different animals.

The opposite would be true too.  Dropping a driver from a previous era into a modern car with zero visibility, insanely high g forces, a steering wheel with more computing power than the entire Earth in 1975 and enough down force that breaking zones are merely a suggestion wouldn't be all that competitive with drivers with full time trainers, dieticians and physiotherapists.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2023, 04:14:20 PM »
To me comparing current drivers to those of 50/60 years ago is apples to oranges. It would be fascinating to stick Lewis or Max into a Lotus 25 or 33 and see if they could match Clark's times. Cars with no aero and tires hard enough to last 3 or 4 races are entirely different animals.

The opposite would be true too.  Dropping a driver from a previous era into a modern car with zero visibility, insanely high g forces, a steering wheel with more computing power than the entire Earth in 1975 and enough down force that breaking zones are merely a suggestion wouldn't be all that competitive with drivers with full time trainers, dieticians and physiotherapists.

You may be right Jeri but I reckon Stirling Moss would give it a proper go.  :D
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2023, 08:28:35 PM »

You may be right Jeri but I reckon Stirling Moss would give it a proper go.  :D

I suspect the best of any era would find a way to succeed in a different era.  Hamilton and Schumacher both won championships in very different F1 cars.  Alonso has shown aptitude in a variety of series.  Pre 80s drivers drove in a variety of series in a single season, so I presume could adapt quickly.

Modern drivers often get a chance to race old F1 cars.  They're rarely going 'all out', so it's not a direct comparison, but LeClerc has put more laps in the Ferrari 312B3 than Lauda has put in the SF-23

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2023, 08:55:18 PM »
I'm impressed it managed not to include any non-F1 drivers in that list, given the number of stories I've heard of AI incompetence (especially in terms of plain making stuff up - I was half-expecting a Sangio or Devon in the list).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle