collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 554
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 2024 F1 Schedule  (Read 3410 times)

Offline Dare

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

Re: 2024 F1 Schedule
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 03:24:54 PM »
3 Saturday night races (Sakhir, Jeddah, Las Vegas) to give even less value for money to the ticket buying fans. The outstanding classic Interlagos circuit replaced by yet another street parade.

And the return of Shanghai, which is the only thing in the universe that can make me nostalgic for Covid.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline rmassart

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 05:55:51 PM »
The outstanding classic Interlagos circuit replaced by yet another street parade.

Sao Paulo is still on the list, they are not racing at Interlagos?

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2023, 07:04:55 PM »
3 Saturday night races (Sakhir, Jeddah, Las Vegas) to give even less value for money to the ticket buying fans. The outstanding classic Interlagos circuit replaced by yet another street parade.

And the return of Shanghai, which is the only thing in the universe that can make me nostalgic for Covid.

I'm not fundamentally opposed to Saturday night races. 

Having traveled to a live race, it's great, but then you've got to scramble to get home.  You don't get a chance to just take it in, go back to your hotel and keep that feeling with you.  You hop back in your car, drive home/to the airport or whatever, and then it's done.  A great few hours at the track followed by 8 hours of travel tarnishes it.  On the other hand I've traveled to a hockey game in the same city, played on a Saturday night.  Went back to the hotel, got to sleep still on the high of watching the game, and then traveling home was a next day problem.

It's my understanding that NASCAR had this problem solved by the manufacturers giving their employees the Monday off so they could go out and celebrate the race and not worry about being back on the line the next day.

Yes, I miss having almost all the F1 races early Sunday morning (Eastern Time).  I know it makes bad viewing for 'American fans', but it really helped me feel like F1 was something different and special.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2023, 11:48:35 AM »
A 3-day weekend that ends on Saturday is fine by me (it's not clear whether that's how the Ramadan changes are being applied, or whether it was decided that reducing the number of days fans are spending in the hot sun is a Ramadan-friendly change as well, given the local climate and Ramadan's restrictions on drinking water. I'm hoping any reduction is being done to respect viewers' biological needs, rather than to avoid having to entertain them for so many hours).

A 2-day weekend that is simply down to the organiser being cheap (as I strongly suspect is the case for Las Vegas - note Liberty is organising that one) isn't a good enough reason for me to support it.

Travel home has rarely been possible for me on the evening of a Grand Prix, but then again getting to the nearest Grand Prix takes several hours, so whichever day is selected, time off would have to be used to attend even for a single day. The only time this has not been the case was in Silverstone 2002, where I got given a lift to qualifying.

I don't see all 24 dates on here happening; it's pretty obvious from the last few years that F1 can't sustain as long a calendar as it wants and that 22 appears to be the maximum number it can actually attend. It's at the point where F1 teams are struggling to recruit staff (especially given that swapouts are heavily restricted by regulation). Making it so long feels at once like a false promise and a threat.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle