collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 563
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Formula 1 Commission meeting this week  (Read 3244 times)

Online cosworth151

Formula 1 Commission meeting this week
« on: July 25, 2023, 03:45:50 PM »
The Formula 1 Commission is meeting this week to discuss several items:

Williams, Alpine and AlphaTauri want a greater allowance to spend on upgrading infrastructure and facilities, which will help close performance deficits in the longer run. There are also set to be talks on engine equalization to allow certain changes under the engine freeze rules, in place through 2025, with the Renault-powered Alpine squad understood to be lagging behind its competitors.

They will be talking about whether or not to ban tire blankets for next season. A false economy move which will do little to help struggling teams and will negatively impact the racing IMHO.

They will also discuss the Sprint races for next year. 

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a44629826/f1-notes-from-hungary-new-alpine-ceo-tire-blankets-budget-cap-investigations-and-more/

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

Re: Formula 1 Commission meeting this week
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2023, 04:17:50 PM »
I really do feel that the cost cap is a good idea, but they need to be flexible to make sure they're not just locking successful teams into a successful mode and weaker teams into a weak mode.  Even the whole 'good teams' don't get as much wind tunnel and CFD time... basically preventing someone from using their most expensive tool frees funds for all kinds of other things.  I'd hate for teams to have 'standard facilities', but if they want things to be equal, it might be worth discussing what baseline each team should be allowed so they can be competitive.

The tire blankets seems like such a weird thing.  I get that it feels like an easy way to cut costs, but like any project where the people have no idea what they're talking about are making the decisions, it doesn't sound like it's going to work.  I'm sure that Pirelli (or whichever supplier) could create tires that don't require warming, but to simply remove warmers from tires that do require it sounds like a terrible idea.  F1 has many forces at work, but both safety and 'the show' need to come before cost cutting.

I miss the days of unlimited engine development.  With cost caps in place, unfreeze the engines, if Alpine wants to spend all their money on engine development instead of shrimp cups for VIPs, they why not?  I don't really like the engines being a single spec, but I would like for them to be 'interchangeable'.  Make the block standard dimensions so you could plop a Ferrari in the back of a Red Bull at a moment's notice.  This allows customer teams to design their cars without worrying about the whims of a constructor making a stress bearing power unit specifically suit their own car.

Personally, I'm not opposed to the sprint races.  I don't feel like they've been integrated into the race weekend/season very well, and maybe there is no 'right' way to do it.  All the same, I don't mind them trying it out, and hope they get it sorted. 

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2023, 05:13:51 PM »
This is Year 15 of attempting to ban tyre blankets. I think, finally, some progress is being made.

I don't like the budget cap (which appears to lock in victory for whoever's allowed to overspend the most) or the sprint races (which tend to undo any excitement qualifying might have induced).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2023, 04:47:05 AM »
Indy Car doesn't use tire warmers. Their Firestones do require warming. Pit exit burnouts seem to warm the rears successfully, but the cars often understeer on the outlap. Cold tires have caused a few accidents, but it doesn't appear to be a wide spread problem.
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle