collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 599
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 2023 Dutch Grand Prix Heroes and Zeroes  (Read 4492 times)

Offline Jericoke

2023 Dutch Grand Prix Heroes and Zeroes
« on: August 27, 2023, 04:57:27 PM »
Heroes
Weather/track.  What a show we got today!  Not just the rain, but the track itself seemed to take the rain on in such a way that the water cleared out quickly, meaning strategy mattered, skill mattered, experience mattered.  There was a lot to see for fans.

Max/Newey.  9 straight wins, both at the the top of them game.  Horner running a team that can keep everything running smoothly.

Alonso.  Maybe the best blend of skill/experience than F1 has ever seen.  Not only can he drive the wheels off his car, he knows exactly when to do so.

Gasly.  He's certainly this season's Jekyll/Hyde driver.  On his good days, he's elite, but on too many days he's ordinary.  Today he was great. Maybe a change in management was what he needed?

Sainz.  Not the best of the best, but held off other drivers at key moments

Albon.  Most F1 drivers have the same skills, the same driving style, and it's just a question of how good they are.  Albon sees the track differently, runs the race differently.  It's a challenge for Williams to give him the race he deserves, but today things worked out well.

Hamilton.  A race like today lets the talent bubble to the top, and despite a bad day from Mercedes, Hamilton managed to create opportunity and then take advantage.

Lawson.  Finishing ahead of your teammate with a single practice session under your belt isn't too shabby!

Zeroes
Mercedes.  They seem to have taken on Ferrari style management of the weekend.  Just a pile of mistakes, and they were lucky that Hamilton was able to produce a not awful result.  Russell had some bad luck, or they might've had a decent enough weekend.

Hard to give anyone else a 'zero'.  Lots of rain, lots of bad luck.  Sargeant certainly had a weekend to forget.  Perez continues to be completely outclassed by his teammate.

Offline Dare

Re: 2023 Dutch Grand Prix Heroes and Zeroes
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2023, 12:18:57 AM »
At the start I didn't know whether to call it a wet race but I got my answer with 15 laps to go.

A standing start would have been better all 15 laps with real
racing
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Willy

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 05:21:39 PM »
I watch F1 on F1 TV and we get Jolyon Palmer with guests commentators. This race had David Coulthard as colour commentator and someone else I don't recall.
I am not sure who was talking at the time but they were making up words as they went along and channeling their inner Murray Walker. It was not David as I recognize his Scots accent.

I like the elevation changes and the way the track winds among the hills but there are no real long fast stretches and I wonder if we would be seeing this track back on the calendar if there were no Dutch driver leading the championship right now.
The rain shook this up nicely and Liam Lawson showed real promise.

Once again we watched Red Bull do what they will continue to do until the rules are changed.
Russell whined and Lewis did his best.
Alonso should be running a team or teaching driving as he has such strong skills that he can call upon.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023, 08:51:49 PM »
I think he really builds confidence in his team when he says "We were close. We will win one this year". Alonzo is pretty amazing.
Lonny

Online cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2023, 05:48:42 PM »
As usual for me any more, I wasn't able to watch the 1st hour of the race. I really enjoyed the part I saw. I think the best thing Max has done for F1 is to get Zanvoort back on the schedule.

Totally agree about Alonso. I'd love to see him pull of a win this season.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2023, 08:27:37 PM »
As usual for me any more, I wasn't able to watch the 1st hour of the race. I really enjoyed the part I saw. I think the best thing Max has done for F1 is to get Zanvoort back on the schedule.

Totally agree about Alonso. I'd love to see him pull of a win this season.

It is kind of crazy how a star driver can cause entire races to happen.  Alonso gave us Valencia, Schumacher made sure we got two races in Germany, and of course Max and Zanvoort (and probably a life extending boost to Spa).

As much as Alonso 'deserves' a win this year, and I'd like to see it, I'm hoping to see RBR run the table, just so I can say I was watching when it happened.  That's about the only thing that can justify RBR's utter dominance by being historically dominant.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2023, 10:12:30 AM »
Hard for me to do this one because the coverage was so poor that even keeping track of what was happening was difficult. There were times when I was thinking, "Yes, that car is broken. We've established this. Go look at the other things that the timing screen says are happening"!
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle