collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 577
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Are FIA throwing Andretti curved ball over F1 entry?  (Read 7299 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Are FIA throwing Andretti curved ball over F1 entry?
« on: September 09, 2023, 04:43:39 PM »
I've just noticed in amongst a report on Pitpass.com (see 1st snippet below) that they are giving the date for approved Andretti entry as 2026.  :confused:

That'll put the proverbial cat amongst the pigeons!  :o 
Current F1 concorde ends in 25 so Andretti will probably need to sign up under new Concorde when the entry fee may be $600m or much more instead of the present 200m.  ::)

Could this be an FIA stitch up to get Liberty & Teams onside for an extra team on the grid by screwing over Andretti in the process? - or is it a typo on Pitpass.com?  :DntKnw:

Looks like one way for slippery lawyers to square a circle.  >:D
Most discussions previously have been about new entries for 25 onwards, not just 26. (see 2nd snippet from Racefans.net)

(1) Andretti's bid to enter the sport is set to be given the green light, however getting the approval of F1's owners and the teams is another matter entirely.

Though no official details are forthcoming from any of those involved it is understood that the FIA is on the verge of announcing that it has accepted the American team's entry in 2026.

courtesy Pitpass.com, Sept 7th, 2023

(2) FIA invites applications for up to two new teams to enter F1 from 2025

Posted on 2nd February 2023, 12:33 | Written by Keith Collantine

The FIA has started an applications process for new teams to enter Formula 1 from 2025.

The governing body of motorsport announced “the official launch of an application process to identify prospective teams seeking to participate at a competitive level in the FIA Formula One world championship.”

Successful new applicants may choose to enter in 2025, 2026 – when new technical regulations are due for introduction – or 2027.

Couretsy RaceFans.net[/color]
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 11:31:04 AM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Willy

Re: Are FIA throwing Andretti curved ball over F1 entry?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2023, 05:10:14 PM »
An American entry along side HAAS will be high on the Liberty agenda to get more US fans on board the F1 train.
I can't see a single existing team embracing a new team as it just waters down the broth a tad more that they all depend on.

Andretti has the history and ability to be that team and it would be a good thing for F1 to bring in some new blood.  They can bring GM in as an engine supplier which will also give current teams another choice for powerplants.

GM has a history in Le mans but to my knowledge have never been involved in F1.
Ford on the other hand totally screwed the pooch when they took over Stewart GP and showed everyone that you can't operate an F1 team from a corporate boardroom across the pond.
Running a team by committee does not work.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2023, 10:33:56 PM »

Ferrari proved that time and again!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2023, 01:49:26 AM »
An American entry along side HAAS will be high on the Liberty agenda to get more US fans on board the F1 train.
I can't see a single existing team embracing a new team as it just waters down the broth a tad more that they all depend on.

Haas doesn't FEEL like an American team to me.  I know that Gene is American, but to me feels like he's just slapped his name on an Italian team.  Nothing wrong with that, Red Bull, Mercedes and Alpine are all English teams racing under other flags, but I don't pretend that their victories are Austrian, German or French.

If I had to pick an 'American' team, I'd go with McLaren.  I know they've got a long British racing heritage, and they're named for a Kiwi, but Zack Brown is about as American as F1 gets these days.  McLaren is actually invested in American racing, and understands that the American audience is up for grabs, both in terms of racing fans and purchasing fancy cars.

Of course, 'Andretti' is is the most American name you can have in (open wheel) racing.

Andretti has the history and ability to be that team and it would be a good thing for F1 to bring in some new blood.  They can bring GM in as an engine supplier which will also give current teams another choice for powerplants.

Running an IndyCar team is a far cry from running an F1 team.  But there's nothing like running an F1 team except running an F1 team.  It's not a natural step up.  All the same, Andretti is going in as wide eyed as possible.  I feel like they'll have good will from sponsors and team personnel to get them over any rough patches.

GM has a history in Le mans but to my knowledge have never been involved in F1.
Ford on the other hand totally screwed the pooch when they took over Stewart GP and showed everyone that you can't operate an F1 team from a corporate boardroom across the pond.

Honda and Toyota also suffered the same fate as Jaguar.  Alpine is making the same mistake now.  Mercedes fully understood they're slapping the name on the car, signing the cheques and leaving the rest to Toto.  (Much like Gene does with Haas/Steiner I suppose)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2023, 03:29:54 PM »
That was Ford's original plan for Jaguar, let Jackie & Paul Stewart run it. Then Paul Stewart was diagnosed with cancer and both he and his dad left to tend to that. Ironically Jaguar F1 finally put together a decent management team just about the time the Ford family pulled the plug on CEO Jacques Nasser. Since he was one of the team's main proponents that pretty well put the writing on the wall.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle