collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 593
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Marko the Idiot Dinosaur  (Read 9918 times)

Offline Willy

Marko the Idiot Dinosaur
« on: September 15, 2023, 07:04:50 PM »
Once again, an angry old white guy has opened his mouth an spewed forth totally inappropriate racist rhetoric.
Helmut Marko had a place at RB while Dietrich Mateschitz was alive as the eyes and ears of the owner. He in no longer required there but can't seem to find the door as he continues to stumble his way around the grid saying all and every waking thought. 90% of it better off unsaid.

https://f1i.com/news/486756-fia-sends-written-warning-to-marko-over-perez-comments.html

Offline cosworth151

Re: Marko the Idiot Dinosaur
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2023, 07:26:44 PM »
Marko is definitely past his "best by" date. In the words of the great Bugs Bunny, "What a maroon!"

Just one more thing, Herr Marko - Mexico is in North America.  :DntKnw:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2023, 07:57:48 PM »
I remember in the past that the FIA threatened to take away the Spanish Grand Prix if fans continued to exhibit racist behavior.  No idea if it was ever a serious threat or not.

Would the FIA issue a threat to remove Red Bull's WCC points if Marko continues to spew his downright dangerous train of thought on the world?  (Stealing trade secrets was enough to get McLaren excluded, and that didn't really hurt anyone)

I don't see Marko being involved much longer if there's a possibility of him handing the WCC over to Mercedes (the Driver's championship should remain unaffected.)

(Honestly, I don't see much value in Marko being involved at all, but I've never liked the guy, so I'm not exactly unbiased)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2023, 10:41:20 AM »
Whilst in no way am I defending Marko I must take issue with the suggestion this is racist.  :nono:

It's stereotyping and possibly very offensive to Central & South Americans. However Marko has been contrite in his apology and has now received a letter from FIA reprimanding him.

How many times have each of us referred to odd or negative stereotypical traits popularly abscribed to a country, region, tribe or religion. Just because we don't think most are offensive we seldom know, or usually care about the reaction of people from the group referred too. e.g. Teutonic stuffed shirt Germans, the arrogant French, or Brash & loud Americans.

It's too easy to get offended on behalf of others these days and that is not always helpful IMHO, especially when sometimes the supposed target/s doesn't give 2 hoots.

I may not like any of your responses to my post, however
“I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.”*
- oh, and no profanities please.  :-*

*Oscar Wilde 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Willy

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2023, 02:21:01 PM »
While I agree with part of what John says.
I feel that the pendulum has swung far over so everyone has taking offence at the least perceived slight, and maybe we should not be so quick to react.
But, Marko is not making a one-of comment here, he has a history of never turning on the brain before opening the mouth.
As Cos said, he has hit his "best before " date.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2023, 06:57:25 PM »

How many times have each of us referred to odd or negative stereotypical traits popularly abscribed to a country, region, tribe or religion. Just because we don't think most are offensive we seldom know, or usually care about the reaction of people from the group referred too. e.g. Teutonic stuffed shirt Germans, the arrogant French, or Brash & loud Americans.

The subtle difference is that we all accept a certain stereotype of our group.  As a Canadian I know the 'joke' is that we're overly polite. You want to say Lance Stroll is a bad racer because he's Canadian and lets everyone through?  I'm in on the joke.  The Germans know they've got a 'stuffed shirt' reputation, the French don't mind being called arrogant etc.  If you want to imply Checo was late for something because he's taking a siesta (which I think has happened) is the good natured version of Mexican racism.  Saying that South America is extremely violent is not good natured.

If we want to get into violent countries, maybe we can look into what Austrians have done in the last 2 centuries?

It's too easy to get offended on behalf of others these days and that is not always helpful IMHO, especially when sometimes the supposed target/s doesn't give 2 hoots.

Certainly Perez is in a position of power and privilege.  He's dealt with this for a long time, and he's learned to let it roll off.  Latin America has been exploited for a long time, by foreign and domestic powers.  The average 'South American' doesn't have anyone looking out for them.  I'm sure 99% of people in Latin American don't give two f's about what Marko says, but it matters that people with power are held to account.  It's symbolic, sure.  It's not saving the world by forcing Marko to apologize.  But it's the proverbial 'least we can do'.

If Marko believes what he says (and why would we think otherwise) he has the power to stop Red Bull from investing in Latin American racers, personnel and sponsors.  As he is technically an advisor to Red Bull the holding company, not the racing team, he could be seen to represent the brand entirely, with other employees taking his ideas to heart.

I may not like any of your responses to my post, however
“I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.”*
- oh, and no profanities please.  :-*

*Oscar Wilde

Wilde was ahead of his time.  Being pilloried for 'The Portrait of Dorian Grey', simply because Wilde was a minority who the people in power wanted to keep down, robbed us of a great many works of literature.

I do enjoy that we can discuss these things on GP Wizard, while keeping things in perspective and respectful.  I know that no one here harbours true hate in their hearts, even if we disagree strongly on a subject.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2023, 09:54:47 PM »

Wilde was ahead of his time.  Being pilloried for 'The Portrait of Dorian Grey', simply because Wilde was a minority who the people in power wanted to keep down, robbed us of a great many works of literature.

Point of order M'Lud, it's 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' and if followed to the end is a morality tale showing you can't outrun your past. It's dressed up as a great gothic aesthetic with much raw & hedonistic action, but in essence it says your sins will eventually find you out. 

Oscar as a person took great delight in being outrageously rebellious. Methinks a lot of his troubles were brought upon himself.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2023, 04:02:30 PM »

Point of order M'Lud, it's 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' and if followed to the end is a morality tale showing you can't outrun your past. It's dressed up as a great gothic aesthetic with much raw & hedonistic action, but in essence it says your sins will eventually find you out. 

I always get that title wrong.  I feel 'Portrait' is a better title, however I think that 'picture' has evolved in meaning in the modern age of photography.  Of course, I've got the artistic comprehension of a rock, so what do I know?

Oscar as a person took great delight in being outrageously rebellious. Methinks a lot of his troubles were brought upon himself.

True, one can always be in a minority AND an a-hole.  I suppose if he couldn't amuse others, he enjoyed amusing himself.

Maybe it is his fault he didn't publish more novels and just wants to blame others like we sometimes see from F1 drivers.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2023, 01:21:45 PM »

Maybe it is his fault he didn't publish more novels and just wants to blame others like we sometimes see from F1 drivers.

He seems to enjoyed playwriting more than works of prose Jeri. He wrote 7 complete plays including 'The Importance of being Earnest' both before and after Picture of Dorian Gray. He also has many poems, essays & short stories to his credit.

His main problem was his own martyrdom over his homosexual affair with a fairly young Lord Alfred Douglas. First he chose to take out a libel action, which having spectacularly failed led to his arrest & incarcaration on several charges. He even chose not to flee Britain ahead of his impending arrest.
More odd is fact Wilde was married and had two sons earlier in his life, but seems to have discovered 'Greek love' later with much younger men leading to his downfall.   

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2023, 09:54:52 PM »
This isn't even Helmut's first offensive remark that got aired publically against Perez. I suppose I should be grateful the FIA finally noticed.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle