collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 551
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: An Apple for F1?  (Read 12858 times)

Offline Andy B

An Apple for F1?
« on: October 02, 2023, 09:52:52 PM »
It is reported that Apple TV are to make a bid for the broadcasting rights for F1.
https://www.planetf1.com/news/apple-tv-deal-could-shake-up-f1-broadcasting-landscape
I'm unsure if this is a good or bad thing and only time will tell.
As Apple are the national broadcaster for the American Football series maybe you guys can throw some light on how that is working out?

Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: An Apple for F1?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2023, 11:24:27 PM »
Never heard of Apple being anything official for the NFL. Football appears on NBC, CBS, ESPN, FOX, and Prime. Plus the NFL has their own streaming service available through several streamers. F1 going to Apple might get Liberty a bigger check, but would surely reduce the audience. It would mean I could no longer watch, because I'm not buying another service. Every time I subscribe to a streamer, they raise the price within months. >:D
Lonny

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2023, 03:00:19 AM »
It's not football as we know it's American Major League Soccer. remember soccer is called football around the world

If Apple get's F1 forget any free F1 in the US. At least we did
get a few free races this year. I have ESPN+ and it's no qualifying
and little coverage after the race. I'll probably get F1TV for the rest the season
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 03:02:57 AM by Dare »
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Online cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2023, 04:19:53 PM »
Just further proof that Liberty is just there to drain every last cent out of F1.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2023, 04:40:23 PM »
Don't know about Soccer either. CBS/Paramount has Champions League and NWSL plus others. NBC/Peacock has Premier League. So even if Apple has MLS, there is still a lot of soccer on streaming. Apple is a very closed system. If F1 goes to them you won't get F1TV or any other coverage.
Lonny

Online cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2023, 05:02:33 PM »
Back to the days when we'd all meet up in the chat room for info on bootleg feeds
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »
WooHoo!  :crazy:
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2023, 08:10:49 PM »
I haven't watched any MLS Soccer/Football on Apple, but I have watched some Major League Baseball.

They're willing to rebuild the broadcast from the ground up, not just do what was done before because it was done before. 

I happened to read a recent puff piece about Apple's approach to MLS.  The guy running Apple TV is a sports fan, so is very invested in creating the 'best possible viewing experience'.  They do listen to criticism and adjust coverage to address it.

I wouldn't inherently worry about AppleTV 'ruining' the sport.  But having prime placement on a large streaming service worked with Drive to Survive.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2023, 08:00:26 PM »
Apple getting the rights would mean most people I know would not be able to watch F1, unless it delegated some of the rights to a non-streaming platform.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2023, 01:11:13 PM »
Apple getting the rights would mean most people I know would not be able to watch F1, unless it delegated some of the rights to a non-streaming platform.

Can I ask what would prevent people from accessing AppleTV?

My only options for watching F1, legally or illegally, have easy access to AppleTV

Offline Andy B

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2023, 09:28:38 PM »

My only options for watching F1, legally or illegally, have easy access to AppleTV

Only if they didn't pay!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2023, 03:57:04 PM »

Only if they didn't pay!

Are there any regions where F1 is available for free (legally)?

Online cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2023, 06:29:36 PM »
Here in the States a few of the races are broadcast free-on-air over the ABC network.
― Bob Dylan

Offline rmassart

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2023, 07:47:39 AM »
Are there any regions where F1 is available for free (legally)?

Some European countries have some races on free TV. eg in the UK I think by law the British GP must be available on free to air TV (currently on Channel 4).  I think also in Belgium and Austria some races might well be on free TV.

And I am pretty sure the whole season is on free TV in Luxembourg (you would need to understand Luxembourgish if you want to follow the commentary): https://play.rtl.lu/live

Not sure because despite living here I've never bothered to watch it on the local channels. But since my other options are gradually drying up, I might give it a go once the races become a bit less predictable!

Here's the broadcast info directly from F1:

https://www.formula1.com/en/toolbar/broadcast-information.html

Unfortunately they don't say which ones are free to watch!

Offline Willy

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2023, 03:42:44 PM »
I pay for F1TV as I don't get any free F1 on regular TV (which I don't watch anyway).
F1TV has decent coverage and commentators (David Coulthard) and they offer practice sessions, Quali and race coverage.
There are lots of other features you can access.
No commercials!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle