collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 580
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: AlphaTauri Name Change  (Read 7969 times)

Offline cosworth151

AlphaTauri Name Change
« on: January 25, 2024, 03:51:04 PM »
AlphaTauri is getting a new sponsor and a new name - Visa Cash App RB. The Visa logo will also appear on the RBR cars.

The new image will be revealed at the team's launch event in Las Vegas on February 8.

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a46520152/alphatauri-f1-team-new-sponsor-new-name/

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

Re: AlphaTauri Name Change
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2024, 06:18:34 PM »
I understand sponsorship for naming a team.  We don't bat an eye with Aston Martin, Alfa Romeo.  Even Mercedes and Alpine aren't really parts of their respective companies except on a spreadsheet somewhere.

Red Bull has always been a little different for sure.  They really do have an evocative name.  If the drinks stopped selling tomorrow, and they continued as a race team for another 20 years as Red Bull, I don't think anyone would even question it.  Toro Rosso was a great way to keep the branding and honour their Italian based team.  Alpha Tauri wasn't as a good, but as a Red Bull owned co brand, made a degree of sense.

Visa on the other hand is like... either a piece of paper saying you're allowed in, or a credit card that says you're in debt.  Neither is evocative.  And Cash App sounds like something a drunk tech bro wanna be would come up with 'Listen... listen... listen.... an app... for cash'.  (Side note, as a Canadian, we have a company called Interac that is a joint partnership between several of our banks.  I can send money from my phone, for free, directly from my banking app to another Canadian, at another bank, with their own banking app. Interac handles the details, but I don't deal with Interac at all. Having a third party vendor who sponsors billion dollar F1 teams feels unseemly)

I do understand the importance of having a 'title' sponsor too.  Cognizant Aston Martin doesn't roll of the tongue, so we just call it Aston Martin and don't care that Cognizant shows up all over their official materials.  What are we supposed to do when Tsunoda and Ricciardo crash out?  'There goes the Visa Cash App RB of Tsunoda up in smoke?' 

Surely there's something better they could have come up with.  Red Bull is supposed to be the best marketing company in the world.  The Visa Racers sounds fine.  Cash App Cars.  VCA Race Team? 

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: AlphaTauri Name Change
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2024, 09:22:38 PM »
Just use the acronym & call it VCARB like most other people seem to want to do, Jeri.  ;)
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle