collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 572
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Is Push-to-Pass correct thing for 2026 F1 new regs cars?  (Read 13252 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Is Push-to-Pass correct thing for 2026 F1 new regs cars?
« on: March 31, 2024, 03:43:36 PM »
Extra power for overtaking may seem like a dream for some wanting things spiced up on track, but is it really in F1 DNA?  :DntKnw:

Also will Push-to-Pass be instead of DRS, or as well as?   :confused:

All seems a bit artificial to me, maybe I'm wrong, what do others think?

https://www.pitpass.com/77322/2026-cars-to-feature-push-to-pass

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Is Push-to-Pass correct thing for 2026 F1 new regs cars?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2024, 06:38:13 PM »
Neither, please.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2024, 08:23:12 PM »
I'll always say that complaining about racing being 'artificial' doesn't make sense.  It's not like F1 cars grow in the wild: the entire enterprise is artificial.  Further, as a spectator sport, the rules should always adjust towards making a watchable product (even if the powers that be get that wrong, I'll give them a pass on good faith attempts).

With that said... I don't care for the push to pass system where a car has reserve power they're only allowed to deploy a fixed amount of time. I'm fine with DRS, and I like, as a spectator, that there's a way to give an advantage to a trailing car that is still a technical innovation (doesn't everyone say that RBR has a better DRS than others?  Another area to differentiate the cars is about as un 'artificial' as F1 gets isn't it?). I've enjoyed the last couple of seasons with drivers using detection points and multiple DRS zones strategically, appearing to lose a place only to actually solidify it half a lap later.

I like the current DRS system, though if someone wants to tinker, I'll be open minded.  I don't want the cars to be 'artificially' limited (I'm already not a fan of rev limiters and a cap on ERS deployment). In a cost cap era let someone blow up their engine if they want. And if F1 wants to be at the forefront of automotive technology, the hybrid system should be unlimited.  Left to their own devices, an F1 team might be able to come up with a car that is basically electric, using the ICE as power boost.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2024, 09:07:42 PM »
I don't want to see either of these in F1 and the less electricity used the better as "E" racing with virtually no sound is boring for me.
I still stand that F1 has too many rules and as there is a cost cap give the teams more of a free range to design and race what they want within the budget cap.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Online cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2024, 03:50:53 PM »
I agree with Jeri about the DRS. I've gotten used to it and actually like it. Active aero goes back to the 60's.

IndyCar has used Push to Pass for years. I never really cared for it. The whole thing of only having so much per race makes it a bit too gimmicky for me.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle