collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 599
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Aintree - Horsepower of a different kind!  (Read 3447 times)

davewilson

Aintree - Horsepower of a different kind!
« on: April 14, 2007, 03:23:59 PM »
The words ‘Aintree racecourse’ are synonymous with horseracing. But the course was once home to racing of a different kind. For eleven years it played host to the cream of British motor racing, on a circuit that ran alongside the horse racing course.

Mention the words ‘Aintree racecourse’ and the first thing that is likely to come to mind is horseracing. But the course also boasts fame as host to another form of horsepower – motor racing! Not just any old motor racing; but the very pinnacle of the sport itself – the British Grand Prix.

From 1955 until 1964 the venue staged four British and one European Grand Prix with the best drivers in the world competing around its circuit.

Stirling Moss made history there in 1957 by being the first British driver to win a Grand Prix in a British car. The ‘Vanwall’ carried him to victory with a little help from his team mate Tony Brooks, who handed over his car when Moss’s own hit trouble. Imagine that happening today.

As well as a handful of Grand Prix many other international races took place during this period.

The motor racing circuit ran alongside the main stands and enclosures before following the layout of the horse racing course out towards Bechers Brook. It then tracked along the back straight towards Tatts Corner, crossing the course at the Melling Road and Anchor Bridge.

But how did this horse race venue become a car racing circuit?

That first horse race meeting in 1829 was organised by the owners of the Waterloo Hotel in Liverpool; William Lynn, who had leased a plot of land owned by Lord Sefton. In 1839 the first ‘Grand Liverpool Steeplechase’ took place, and this race still survives today in the form of the ‘Grand National’.

The land was taken over in 1848 by a Yorkshire breeder and handicapper Edward Topham. Members of the Topham family continued to run the estate until Mirabel Topham, a reputed actress of the time, and wife of Edward Topham’s Grandson, decided to revive Aintree after the Second World War. After a long battle she finally managed to purchase the venue in 1945.

In 1948 motor racing and horse racing came together at Goodwood; another famous name racing circles. It was through connections with the Duke of Richmond - who owned Goodwood - that Mrs Topham got the idea to make Aintree a car racing circuit.

The plans didn’t go smoothly though, and years of discussion with various parties followed. One of the biggest obstacles was the re-routing of a public footpath on the course. Public inquiries followed, and finally in 1954 a licence to stage a motor race was obtained.

For ten years Liverpool hosted the best international races of the period with star names and teams visiting the city. Mercedes Jaguar and Ferrari teams raced here, with drivers like Moss, Hawthorn, Fangio, Clark and Hill competing in an era when Britain ruled the sport.

Aintree continued as a club race circuit into the 1980s using a loop to take the cars away from the main complex, and still hosts car sprints and motorcycle races. The fifty year anniversary of when cars fist used the full circuit, was held in November 2004. Another celebration is planned for later this year to commemorate the anniversary of the first Grand Prix at Aintree.

Offline Ian

Re: Aintree - Horsepower of a different kind!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 09:44:33 PM »
Just proves it dunnit, octane hp is best
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 11:09:00 AM »

Anybody bet or win anything on the Grand National?

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Ian

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 11:11:15 AM »
Not me Wizard, I'd sooner eat them, they're pretty tasty, bit sweeter than beef and they take a bit more cooking.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 11:13:27 AM »

I've never tried one.

Wherever I go I always try and have something new to eat, frogs legs and snails are easy.

Ever tried pickled flying fish?

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline f1box

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 09:58:23 AM »
Events are still organised (by Liverpool Motor Club and Aintree Motorcycle Racing Club) details can be found at http://www.aintree.org.uk/ - which plays an audio commentary of Stirling Moss winning the British Grand Prix there.

The integrity of the Grand Prix circuit was under threat from the redevelopment of the Hospitality, grandstands and other features to serve the horse racing side of things. But I believe this has now been averted and that the GP circuit is to be re-instated after the development has finished.

David
"Racing is life ....... everything before and after is just waiting"

www.f1box.co.uk - independent motorsport memorabilia retailer

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 07:57:33 PM »
In the mid-80s I did a course at the racing driver school at Aintree.  It uses the shorter club circuit which is made up of the roads that the camera cars use during the horse racing so it is just inside the horse course with nothing to stop you tangling with the fences if you screw up.  After my second day I went to have a look at the fences which I thought were made up of very thin hedges.  I wish I hadn't looked because some of the very thin hedge branches are three inches in diameter and rooted solidly.  Some of them point directly at the driver as he exits a corner.  The prospect of going in their in a race school FFord was very unappealing to say the least.  I dread to think of a GP car hitting it.

The Stig

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 10:28:07 PM »
Loved the old commentary of the 57 race from Aintree...f1box
Stig.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle