collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 238
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16166 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12998 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Webber Halted by Gearbox Problem  (Read 1127 times)

davewilson

Webber Halted by Gearbox Problem
« on: April 16, 2007, 09:55:56 AM »
A gearbox problem on lap 43 put pay to Mark Webber’s realistic hopes of a points-scoring finish for Red Bull Racing in the 57-lap Bahrain Grand Prix.

The 30-year old Australian had run much of the race in eighth position and was working his way into seventh after his second pit stop when he was forced to retire from the race. The team’s disappointment was compounded by the retirement of team-mate David Coulthard, a few laps earlier with driveshaft failure.
Webber also experienced a repeat of the fuel flap problem which affected him in Melbourne; the flap failing to open when he pitted for the first time on lap 18 and then staying open for his second stint of the race. Eagle-eyed TV viewers would have seen the engine cover winglet above the fuel flap peel off during the race, demonstrating the air disturbance created by the malfunctioning flap.

Weber made a clean start from eighth on the grid, maintaining his position and even having a sniff at going around the outside of Renault’s Giancarlo Fisichella in turns 1 and 2. A collision between Jenson Button and Scott Speed later on lap one saw the race under the control of the Safety Car for two laps but once the race went back to green, Webber kept Fisichella within his sights, while at the same time pulling away from the Italian’s team-mate, Heikki Kouvalainen.

By lap 11, Fisichella and Webber had both caught BMW’s Robert Kubica and spent the rest of the first stint locked in a three car chase. Webber pitted on lap 18 followed by Fisichella a lap later. However, the fuel flag problem cost Webber some five seconds and probably the chance to jump Fisichella in the stop. As it was, Webber ended up behind Fisichella again in eighth.

Meanwhile, having opted for a light fuel load after his qualifying woes yesterday, Coulthard was making impressive progress from the rear of the field, and by lap 28 had passed Webber. For the first time this season, both Red Bull Racing cars were running strongly in the top 10 in eighth and ninth positions, and a lap later this become seventh and eight when both cars passed Fisichella; Webber doing so around the outside at turn four.

However, the team was dealt a double blow a few laps later. Coulthard made his second scheduled pit stop on lap 35 but was only able to complete a further lap before limping back into the pits with a driveshaft problem. Webber pitted from seventh position three laps later and although he rejoined in 12th, he quickly made up position as others around him made their final stops. However, all his hard work came undone when, on lap 43, he suffered a gearbox failure and ground to a halt at the side of the track. 

“My first stint went okay,” said Webber afterwards, “I got a good start but then got held up by Robert Kubica as he was going longer than us in the first stint, and Fisichella. Things started to turn pear-shaped at the first stop – I lost five seconds when the fuel flap stayed shut and once the guys managed to prise it open, it stayed that way for all the next stint – it made the car a lot trickier to drive.

“I passed Giancarlo on the same lap as DC overtook me, so we were both running really well and looking good for points. The guys were able to sort out the fuel-flap problem at my second stop but then I had a gearbox problem which ended my race.”   

Offline romephius

Re: Webber Halted by Gearbox Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 11:44:52 AM »
There is not enough luck for this talented driver....... :'(

Rom

Offline Ian

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 07:10:28 PM »
Think they were both unlucky yesterday Rom, they had a good race, shame about the breakdowns, there were points to be taken for both of them
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline romephius

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 02:55:25 AM »
Too right mate...........DC was easily the drive of the day, even if he didn't finish

Rom

Offline Ian

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 09:06:50 PM »
Yeh, I was disappointed he did'nt get it
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle