collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 553
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Tom Pryce  (Read 4777 times)

Offline Neil.P

Tom Pryce
« on: April 19, 2007, 10:14:40 PM »
The sad story of Tom Pryce here

Neil.P
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 10:17:39 PM by Neil.P »

Offline Dare

Re: Tom Pryce
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 10:20:47 PM »
The sad story of Tom Pryce here

Neil.P

Seen the video of his fatal crash,it's one of the
most horrific I've ever seen
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Neil.P

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 10:24:25 PM »
Hi Dare, I heard it's on the net, Could'nt stomach it myself!

Neil.P

Offline Dare

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 10:27:13 PM »
Hi Dare, I heard it's on the net, Could'nt stomach it myself!

Neil.P

I'd advise not watching it,really grusome
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline romephius

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 02:37:28 PM »
G'day guys, not know what incident you were talking about, I read about it, and watched it......I truly hope I never see something like that again......anywhere in my life.........EVER......

Rom

Offline Dare

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 03:19:53 PM »
I had never heard of the circumstances of the
crash either Romphius.Ran across it by accident
and it some very disturbing footage

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 03:28:13 PM »

I had never seen the footage and I wish my curiosity hadn't got the better of me - truly shocking.
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Ian

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 09:18:22 PM »
Not seen it either and WON'T be looking for it either
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

davewilson

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 09:21:49 PM »
Ian,you are spot on,we dont need to see this sort of thing on here.

Offline johnbull

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 05:09:27 PM »
I am presently reading "The lost generation" a book by David Tremayne about 3 young guns of the 70s who died before they could make it. Roger Williamson, Tony Brise and Tom Pryce.

Roger died at Zandvoort in 73. I met him with his mum and dad and girlfriend at the F3 race in Monaco in 71. We spent quite a bit of time with them in the BUS. A very good racing friend of mine who occasionally visits us in Malta and who I visit whenever I am in UK, Don Hardman, was brought up with Roger in Leicester. Don took my son Josh and myself to the Donnington museum last year. There's a whole hall there dedicated to Roger. What a nice guy he was.

Tom Pryce's death was so unnecessary. It proves how amateur everything was in those days, and yes, like Roger's his death is well documented.

Tony Brise was the youngest of the three. He was brought up in Karting, winning just about everything there was to win before moving to cars. Reading the book and seeing the father / son relationship with John and his son Tony, I can't help but compare it with my own situation with Josh. I raced for many years and now I do everything I can to help him with his own racing.

Tony died with Graham Hill and the Embassy Hill Team when Graham's private plane crashed.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 07:45:45 PM »
I didn't know Pryce's accident had been filmed.  I think I will ignore it though.  I have never seen the point of viewing fatal crashes especially the more gruesome ones.  I suppose it is only a matter of time before someone comes up with film of Cevert's accident.

I think it was Motor Sport a few years ago who published a very good article about him.  As is often the case with these things there were a few gems which I had never heard before.  Apparently his helmet design was added to a plain white helmet so that his father would be able to identify him.  For those who don't know he wore a white helmet with 5 short black vertical stripes above the visor.  He was such an unassuming person that he intended to race in a plain white helmet.

He only spoke Welsh until he was about ten years old and his name wasn't Tom it was something like Mladwyn but when he went to England to race no-one could pronounce it so he became Tom.  It really is amazing how many drivers over the years who have changed their names for various reasons.  Senna, Piquet & JJ Lehto spring instantly to mind.

Offline johnbull

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 10:54:22 PM »
Steven, if you haven't read it, try and get a copy of The lost generation. It's excellent though I spend most of the time reading it with tears in my eyes.

I only ever met Roger, of the 3, but of course I was already following F1 closely when they were around and I also used to follow the British club racing scene closely thanks to Motoring News, Autosport and Triple C, as I had many friends racing at the time. I followed Tony Brise from his Karting days as we were also Karting at the time.
Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 07:54:45 PM »
The book is on my list.  I read the reviews and Autosport published a few bits.  I think it is going to be one that I will pick up and not put down until I have finished it.

Offline johnbull

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 11:02:13 PM »
That's how it's been with me. I started it 3 or 4 days ago and am already 2/3rds through.

Keep a box of tissues handy because there are some very tearful bits.

Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle