collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 565
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Drive-In Theaters  (Read 4415 times)

Offline Dare

Drive-In Theaters
« on: April 26, 2007, 02:49:29 PM »
ring a bell Cos
http://websearch.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=websearch&cdn=compute&tm=200&gps=39_1847_956_355&f=21&su=p284.7.420.ip_&tt=13&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.driveintheater.com/index.htm

Went to Ohio and found a Skyview in Lancaster,Ohio
Tried to post pics,but it said the download file was full

Were drive-ins popular in Great Britains in the past?just curious

« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 02:58:07 PM by dare »

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

Re: Drive-In Theaters
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 03:54:20 PM »
I know the Skyview VERY well. I've gone there since I was a small child. I took my daughter there when she was little, and I hope to take my grand-daughter there before long.

http://www.skyviewdrivein.com/

Claw_Grrrl and I go there every summer. I tried to attach a pix of her 67 Pontiac Grand Prix at the Skyview, but got the same error message you got!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 03:59:35 PM »
I know the Skyview VERY well. I've gone there since I was a small child. I took my daughter there when she was little, and I hope to take my grand-daughter there before long.

http://www.skyviewdrivein.com/

Claw_Grrrl and I go there every summer. I tried to attach a pix of her 67 Pontiac Grand Prix at the Skyview, but got the same error message you got!

I think we have 1 drive-in left,if that hasn't closed down
Industry and warehouses have taken their spots,and
Kentucky Kingdom is where my favorite was,The Twilight

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 05:07:19 PM »
We used to have a second one here in Lancaster. It was originally called City, but later changed to Plaza. Every small town around had at least one. I think Columbus still has one. One Columbus one, The Torch, closed two years ago.

There used to be one in Logan, about 25 miles south-east of here, named The Hocking. It's still standing, but has been closed for years. I'll always remember what happened there back in high school, in the back seat of a 64 Comet.......
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Ian

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 07:59:12 PM »
No, they never took off here Dare, only driving into the woods. Here we go again, another telling off I 'spose
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 08:20:19 AM »

I have never seen a drive in movie theatre in the UK. Has anyone else?

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 02:32:30 PM »
Here's the pix of Claw_Grrrl's 67 Pontiac Grand Prix at the Skyview. Nothing like a 60's car at a drive-in!

By the way, we found this car in a local junk yard, with no drive train a few days from being crushed. The restoration took a while, but the results were well worth it.
― Bob Dylan

davewilson

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 02:37:05 PM »
A lot of room in that for the pop corn cosworth.
Nice job to save it/HER, from the scrap heap!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 03:26:08 PM »
F.Y.I., Claw_Grrrl & I are planning to head on out to the Skyview this week-end, weather permitting, to see Spiderman 3 and Ghost Rider. By the way, she hasn't been around lately because she's been off at a Viking Re-enactment Festival.
― Bob Dylan

Offline romephius

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 09:58:06 PM »
I am jealous..........of the drive in that is..........ours shut down around 3 years ago..........it's still there but just doesn't operate........I remember the times when there was huge lineups just to get in and even times when they sold out......My first drive in experience was watching Return of the Jedi........early 80's........it was great.....

Rom

Offline Dare

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 12:32:14 AM »
Cosworth,what's it cost to get in a drive-in now

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 02:38:03 PM »
Ages 12 and up are $6. Ages 4-11 are $2. Under 4 are free.
― Bob Dylan

Offline claw_grrl67

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2007, 08:17:11 AM »
The price of admission to the SkyView just went up to $6 this year.  It's been $5 for the double feature for a good long time.  What's great about the place is that they've kept the '50's feel to the joint, even to the point of using the ORIGINAL projector.  They just upgraded a few parts to accept today's films.  The couple who own it now (husband and wife) have a history with the place: he worked there as a teenager, under the original owner.

Even the food in the concession stand is better-than-average fast-food fare.  Instead of just hot dogs, french fries, and pop, they have tenderloin, pizza, bratwurst, and big ol' dill pickles!

We would have taken the '67 GP to the movies tonight, but a tree fell on it a few winters ago, and it made the passenger's door jam shut.  Can't get it open, and haven't found a replacement fender (yet), but it's still driveable.

Come to think of it, that's the second time a tree has fallen on that car, and I'm still driving it.  But then, as a gent in the glass repair shop commented, "You could build 4 or 5 Toyotas out of that amount of steel."

I've got picks of the GP being lifted out of the scrap yard - gonna have to load 'em up here.  It's rather amazing, the transformation it's gone through.

Claw

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle