collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 591
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 'Team order' controversy hits F1 again  (Read 630 times)

Offline Wizzo

'Team order' controversy hits F1 again
« on: May 28, 2007, 04:52:25 PM »

'Team order' controversy returned to the F1 paddock on Sunday evening when Ron Dennis was accused by the British media of illegally preventing former championship leader Lewis Hamilton from challenging his McLaren teammate Fernando Alonso in Monaco.

The most memorable such hullabaloo was in 2002, when Ferrari's Rubens Barrichello pulled over for Michael Schumacher within sight of the Austrian GP chequer.

Dennis, though, was at the centre of a similar storm in 1998, when David Coulthard deferred to Mika Hakkinen in Melbourne.

In Monaco, the F1 circus was unhappy to learn that Hamilton had to follow the lead of his world champion teammate after the first pit stop, having qualified on a heavier fuel load than pole sitter Alonso - and the saga was spurred on by the 22-year-old's visible disappointment on the podium and in the post-race press conference.

"I've got number two on my car. I am the number two driver," Lewis said bluntly.

Team orders that manipulate the result of a race are forbidden by the FIA, but mere team strategies are less frowned-upon.

Dennis, the Woking based team's chairman and principal, made no apologies for protecting the McLaren one-two despite admitting to some disappointment.

"I don't like to slow drivers down, I don't like them to be frustrated but it is the way you have to win the Monaco Grand Prix," he said.

Dennis insisted to reporters that the situation was a "one off", created by the unforgiving Monaco barriers and also McLaren's performance advantage over their nearest competitor here.

He said, "We don't have team orders - we had a strategy to win this race."

"There will be places where they will be absolutely free to race, but this isn't one of them."

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle