collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 634
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: On the Road With Cos  (Read 5710 times)

Offline Dare

On the Road With Cos
« on: June 01, 2007, 01:56:15 AM »
Hey Cos,as you travel around the country with
your work,thought it would be interesting if you
gave us a report.Where your add and your
thoughts on that city

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

Re: On the Road With Cos
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 03:58:39 PM »
Last week I was in Spindale, North Carolina, a small town west of Charlotte. Stopped in Mooresville on the way down. There's an industrial park right off of exit 36 on I-77. It's home to most of the NASCAR teams, a Simpson Racing Products store and the North Carolina Motorsports Hall of Fame. It was race week in Charlotte so the place was jumping! Big sale at Simpson. I wear size 14 shoes and they had a pair on sale there. So I now have a pair of fireproof pit crew fueler shoes!

Went from there to Ft. Myers, Florida. I visited the Thomas Edison and Henry Ford estates. It includes the lab that Edison, Ford and Harvey Firestone set up in the 20's to find a natural rubber source in the US. It has a Banyon tree that covers over an acre.

Ft. Myers has some fine beaches, and is home to the Amelia Island Concours de Elegante:

http://www.ameliaconcours.org/

Unfortunatly, it's in March.

Next week, Temecula, California!

Cos
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 04:38:06 PM »

Great idea dare!

Hey cos, any chance of a map so we get a feel of where you are?

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 05:52:42 PM »
Here you go!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Ian

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 11:59:52 PM »
Big-head, Sittingbourne to Orpington just don't sound the same does it Wiz.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline claw_grrl67

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 07:58:09 AM »
Having been hooked up with Cosworth now for a tad over 21 years, I've heard some of the damnedest tales from the road you could imagine, from the 2-hour traffic jams where people end up dancing in the road, to the hotel reservations that got changed (thankfully) and a jet crashed into the hotel.

This oughtta be a wild ride.

Claw

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 04:53:36 PM »
The next trip starts tomorrow morning, with a flight to Southern California. I'll be going to Temecula, in the dessert southeast of LA. I'll be near Riverside, the former home of the much-missed Riverside International Raceway. (RIR, 1957-1989) The site of everything from NASCAR races to the LA Times Grand Prix sportscar events to the 1960 USGP F1 race.

http://home.san.rr.com/fsheff/rirpicts.htm

Sadly, it was bulldozed to make way for a shopping mall and subdivision.

I'll also be close to Ontario, home of the short-lived 70's "Super Track" Ontario Motor Speedway (1970-80). Also Pomona, home of drag racing's National Hot Rod Ass'n, the sport's main sactioning body here in the states. Their Museum and Hall of Fame is there.

Talk to you from the road-

Cos
― Bob Dylan

The Stig

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 04:58:09 PM »
Have a good trip cosworth,you do get around.Liked looking at the posted link.
Has DVD arrived?

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 05:00:53 PM »
Not as of Sat. Today's post hasn't arrived yet.

Cos
― Bob Dylan

The Stig

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 05:07:20 PM »
Posted on the Monday directly after race?..It is taking its time.

Offline Dare

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 01:44:55 AM »
Thanks Cosworth,how's it feel having
your own travel column?When you
make the big time,just remember
who got you started ;)

You too Stig,you've evidently traveled
the world,open up a topic and let
the rest of us hear of your travels

Any members have any interesting
stories or tall tales,share them with
us
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 12:40:44 PM »
Hello from CMH - Port Columbus International Airport. A fine examp;e of how the US air transport system can even make a pilot-plane lover hate flying! I have a pair of Velcro strap shoes that I got a couple of years back when I had a broken right hand. They make the security line a little easier.

One can no longer bring a bottle of pop (soda for those of you not from mid-America) through security. That means that a Diet Coke now costs three times as much at the airport. It used to be only twice as much.

By the way, Stig, like I just posted on another topic, I got the DVD yesterday. It had been opened by Customs and Border Security.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Ian

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 09:01:24 PM »
When in Dalaman airport in Turkey
1..Do not lose ticket
2..Do not be drunk
3..Do not swear at Turkish rep when he calls you stupid and Jandarmerie can hear

4..RESULT= It hurts when they hit you with the butts of their guns, truth I promise, I had bruises under my ribs and over my kidneys for a week.  :nono:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 12:16:59 AM »
Kind of sounds like "Midnight Express." Think I'll stick to this side of the Bosphorus.

Update: The McDonald's at Minneapolis/St. Paul airport charges $3.89 for a double hamburger. Wolfgang Puck's at the same airport charges $4.00 for a pint of Bass Ale.

Guess which one I had for lunch?

Cos
― Bob Dylan

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 07:04:02 AM »
Finishing up here in Temecula, CA. Nice, upscale town at the edge of the mountains. Most of it is new suburban sprawl, but they have preserved their "Old Town" downtown section. One section of downtown is all old western type buildings. Everything from antique shops to a model railroad store to The House of Jerky. everything from buffalo to ostrich!

The building in the photo was the site of Mrs. Hall's Cafe from 1915 to 1961. Mrs Hall's daughter, Edna Swanguen, also ran the town's only telephone switchboard for 43 years. There is a brass plaque that tells the story.

I have to take off at 0-dark-thirty in the morning for the 60 mile drive to Orange County-John Wayne Airport and the flight home.

Cos
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle