collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 571
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Belated happy 100th Birthday  (Read 3042 times)

Offline Steven Roy

Belated happy 100th Birthday
« on: June 25, 2007, 10:06:37 PM »
As a result of PitLane going down I had nowhere to post this at the time a few weeks ago.

Elly Rosemeyer widow of the late great Bernd Rosemeyer recently celebrated her 100th birthday.  She was a pioneering aviator amongst other things.

Bernd Rosemeyer died in a pointless end of season speed record attempt on an autobahn in 1937.

For anyone who wants to start understanding the history of the sport the late 30s are a facinating time to start as the Nazis sponsored both Mercedes-Benz and Auto Union so you have racing, politics and history.  There were a whole host of interesting drivers including Tazio Nuvolari, Rudolf Carriciola, Manfred vonBrauchitsch, Herman Lang as well as characters like Alfred Neubauer who ran the Mercedes team and Rudi Uhlenhaut who designed the Mercs and reputedly was as fast as any of the works drivers.  If none of them were available he would take one of his new designs on to the Nurburgring and test it himself.  I am sure Adrian Newey would love the same opportunity.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 07:46:57 PM by Steven Roy »

Offline Dare

Re: Belated happy 100th Birthday
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 10:17:06 PM »
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline f1box

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 03:10:53 PM »
Leif Snellman's site is an absolute gem of a site.
If you have even the remotest of interest in motoracing from the 1930's then it should appear in your favourites/bookmarked folder.
I use it extensively when researching photographs of the era.
(I'm also a very minor, credited, contributor - but that doesn't colour my judgement! lol)

David
"Racing is life ....... everything before and after is just waiting"

www.f1box.co.uk - independent motorsport memorabilia retailer

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 07:51:01 PM »
Thankks for the link.  I had never heard of Leif Snellman before.  I have only a surface knowledge of the history of that period so I guess I am going to have to read his entire website and get a bit more clued up.

For some reason I always found Bernd Rosemeyer facinating despite never having seen any film of him until a couple of weeks ago.  There is a short clip on youtube.  Strange how you can develop an interest in a driver without ever seeing him drive.

Offline f1box

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 08:07:09 PM »
Strange how you can develop an interest in a driver without ever seeing him drive.

Quirky but true!

My interest in the history of motorsport was sparked by buying a couple of second hand books from a junk shop (for about 50 pence each). Up until then I'd followed F1 but as a fan of the then current scene (and vague childhood memories of news reports etc.)

The two particular books were  'Bits and Pieces' being a self penned account of some of the racing exploits of B. Bira (Prince Birabongse - the Thai prince - another driver under an altered/assumed name!) and 'On the Starting Grid' by Paul Frère (the Belgian Journalist, Grand Prix driver and Le Mans winner).

Both absolutely captivated me and lead me to discover more and more about the subject.

So indirectly the chance purchase of a couple raggedy old books lead me to do what I now do for a living!

Despite having quite an extensive motorsports library and dealing in second hand motorsport books - I have never upgraded those particular two books to more pristine copies!

David
"Racing is life ....... everything before and after is just waiting"

www.f1box.co.uk - independent motorsport memorabilia retailer

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 07:59:10 PM »
Elly Rosemeyer's story is incredible.  Imagine a complete novice getting into one of those cars.  It is inconceivable.

If I knew any film producers I would send them the link.  A woman like that married to a racing driver with the Nazis thrown in.  What more do you need?

No doubt in the film she would be American.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle