collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 562
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Are you involved in racing?  (Read 5911 times)

Offline johnbull

Are you involved in racing?
« on: June 28, 2007, 10:55:19 PM »
I know we're all into Formula 1. We wouldn't be here otherwise.

But what about any other form of motorsport. Are you involved in any way? Have you ever been involved? Any family involved?

Tell us a few of your old stories.

Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Ian

Re: Are you involved in racing?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 11:15:18 PM »
'fraid not johnbull, closest I got to racing was many years ago, we would go to Brands Hatch on a Saturday and race our bikes round the club circuit(road bikes)
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 11:23:33 PM »
johnbull,closest I've ever been was when I
raced my 68 Chevy Malibu at one of the
local dragstrips in the late 60's
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 02:47:20 AM »
I used to race back in the 70's and 80's. Circle track stock ars mostly, but some road coursre sports cars and and a little drag racing. My avitar is one of my old cars.

I'm currently tearing down an MG Midget for restoration. I've toyed with the idea of building it as a vintage racer, but I don't really have the time that a race car requires. Don Fulmar, my old crew chief, used to say your not really into racing until you get most of your sleep on the creeper under the car!

I checked out your website. Looks like you've got a fine operation going over there. Hope you'll keep us posted on it! :good:

Cos
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 03:44:12 AM »
I've never had the money.  Closest I ever got was in my last seven years in England when I worked with teenagers who had been "excluded" from school.  Several times a year, we used to take them go-karting at a local track and, of course, I had to have a go too.  Weight is all important in karting, as I found out, and so I'd get left behind at every start and have to spend the entire race fighting my way through to the front.  There was only one kid I couldn't beat and, interestingly, he was of Afro-Caribbean descent.  But no, his name wasn't Lewis Hamilton...
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline Dare

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 04:00:32 AM »
Chameleon,visited your websight.
Looks real nice,going back tomorrow
when I have more time
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Number 38

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 06:34:53 AM »
I must be the luckiest guy on earth or at least at this site. I raced in support races at the US GP 1973 through 1981 (Watkins Glen) and the Canadian GP 1980 & 1981 (Montreal). I also raced at Sebring (1977) and Silverstone (1977 & 1979) and Prescott Hillclimb (1990). The avatar picture is me in the Paul Doody Spl at New Hampshire International Raceway (1990) ....... and 30+ years of club racing all over the eastern USA.  Today I'm "starting over" ...... I race a kart.

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 08:53:09 PM »
Thanks, Dare - hope you enjoy.

And Number 38 - yes, you are the luckiest guy in the world...  ;)
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 09:52:21 PM »
I did a couple of FFord races at Oulton Park in 1985 in a car hired from the race school.  A couple of years later I bought a car and spent a couple of months sorting it out.  Just before I was going to race it I lost my job and ended up going overseas to work and never got myself back in a position to race again apart from some karting.

One thing I learned is that if an FFord hits a rabbit at more than 90mph (Clay Hill at Oulton) the guys in the pits freak at the amount of blood and guts sprayed down the side of the car.  It is a very strange experience coming over a blind brow to find a rabbit staring straight at you.

Offline johnbull

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 10:55:39 PM »
I spent most of yesterday evening writing an article on sons of racing fathers. local ones.

Naturally I featured son Josh and myself for 1 did plenty of racing from the day I was allowed to drive legally aged 18 up until about 5 years ago.

My "claim to fame" I suppose must be the 1972 Targa Florio. Check it our car No 51 Anastasi - Sgarlata. We didn't finish of course, not many cars did, but it's something I have no regrets about even if I would go about it very differently if I got the chance again today.

I won 3 National hill climb championships in cars I built myself in the 80s and did quite a bit of successful hill climbing in Sicily - 7 wins from 12 starts.

Now I help Josh with his racing and help the club out with the organising side.
Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline johnbull

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 08:11:14 PM »
I may not actually be racing myself any more, but it certainly hasn't eased the workload.

I now help son Josh out with his racing, but spend most of my time helping out with the organisational side, and writing.

Just today I spent the whole day doing Federation paperwork and work for the forthcoming September Festival of motorsport which we are organising. It's bloody hard work. The racing itself was a damn sight easier.

I'm also doing quite a bit of writing, in between meetings. Meeting with the Minister for Sport last week. Meeting with the sports secretary at the Ministry yesterday, and tomorrow morning another meeting with delegates from the opposition, including the leader of the opposition and his shadow minister for sport.

I certainly hope something useful comes out of it.

On a different tack, do you guys listen to music while you work, and if so what sort of music?

I prefer classical music most of the time - more relaxing. In fact I've presently got a CD of Richard Strauss music. Heavy but beautiful.
Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 02:59:07 PM »
Jazz for me. JB. Put on a little Coltrane or Brubeck and I'm a happy man.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline johnbull

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 03:07:45 PM »
Jazz for me. JB. Put on a little Coltrane or Brubeck and I'm a happy man.

WOW. Dave Brubeck still going ?

I remember when his hit Take 5 was in the charts.

I even think I still have a recording somewhere.
Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 03:18:46 PM »
He just did a concert tour of Canada last month. He's 87 and frequently appears with his sons.

I think "Take Five" was the song that first turned me on to jazz. I've got the record, "Time Out" on CD now.
― Bob Dylan

Offline johnbull

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 04:31:17 PM »
Totally off topic :yahoo:
We have some good musicians visiting right now. I may go take a ride down to see John Mayall perform this evening. He was one of my favorites when I was much younger as is Robert Plant who takes over the concert Wednesday - Remember him from Led Zeplin ?

And Thursday's the turn of the Australian Pink Floyd group, who Missus and I will also be watching.

Have a look at the full programme on:   www.nngpromotions.com
Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle