collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 580
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Weber: Hamilton helped by new tyres  (Read 855 times)

Offline rmassart

Weber: Hamilton helped by new tyres
« on: July 04, 2007, 11:29:24 AM »
The BBC have an article in which news Weber is saying Lewis is helped by not having to adapt to the new Bridgestone tyres like say Alonso, Kimi and of course himself:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/6268494.stm

But surely Lewis, being a McLaren protege has been testing on Michelin for the last few years, so wouldn't he have the same handicap?

Offline f1box

Re: Weber: Hamilton helped by new tyres
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 11:51:24 AM »
Point well made, rmassart. Not sure whether Mark though that one through! Though there migh tme an arguement that testing and racing don't exactly equate to each other.

Would the racers among us care to comment on whether a partucular tyre manufacturer's product has general overal characteristics which would be discernable regardless of the type of chassis or vehicle being raced?

As an aside - at Donington (historic race meeting) recently my stall was set up opposite the Dunlop Tyre garage. A number of entrants were well racked off that Avon packed up and went home on the Saturday - leaving everyone with no choice but to have Dunlop rubber for the main races on Sunday!

David
"Racing is life ....... everything before and after is just waiting"

www.f1box.co.uk - independent motorsport memorabilia retailer

Offline johnbull

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 12:13:39 PM »
My business is Dunlop tyres. My company is the Dunlop distributor in Malta and has been for over a century - father and grandfather before me, so perhaps my thoughts on such matters are biased.

Alot of thought is put into both the construction and compound of a racing tyre, and yes from my own experience I have found a noticible difference in handling even using the same construction but just changing compounds or vice versa.

Nowadays we have the added ingredient of cross ply or radial racing tyres too. In my racing days they were all cross ply.

We were running my son's single seater with Dunlop cross ply slicks for a while, we even tried a set of Avon A40 cross plys, but recently fitted a set of Dunlop's softest compound radials and the difference was chalk and cheese. The car was transformed and it is now absolutely glued to the track, with the resultant increase in sales of Dunlop racing tyres I'm happy to say. Suddenly everybody wants them! :yahoo:

What worries me with F1 at the moment is that a little variable like a slight change in tyre construction can suddenly change a car from being a perfect handler to being a pig. It's too delicate. his is where something needs to be done.

I will never understand for instance why Bridgestone, who now have a monopoly, still insist on producing a tyre which is marginal in certain conditions. Why don't they produce a tyre that will last, will not grain, will not overheat, will remain constant and linear in performance throughout a race. They can do it now since they don't have any competition, and so long as they are supplying everyone with the same tyres it wouldn't matter.

When the FIA announced that there was going to be just one manufacturer I thought, ah tyre problems will be a thing of the past. Unfortunately they are still one of the most critical items, which to my mind completely defeats the object of having a control tyre.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 12:20:20 PM »
What I can't understand is various people saying the Bridgestones are hampering both Raikkonen and Alonso when their driving styles are so diametrically opposite.  Alonso's style is odd to say the least and clearly he has had to adapt it to the new tyres but Lewis has had to adapt to a new formula, new circuits (he hadn't even tried Indy on the simulator), longer races etc etc.  While I am sure the Bridgestones suit his style better they do not explain why he has been able to perform better than Alonso.  I think he is simply a better driver.

Offline raindancer

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 01:48:49 PM »
I don't think anyone is trying to make excuses for Alonso or Kimi. But the fact remains that they aren't exactly slow either. Some of their times have right up there but in a race setup they seem to lose out. Lets see who else had to switch and their performance which might throw some light on the situation. I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand although drivers are famous for making excuses.

DC pointed this out , Webber is saying so ..........
Don't Fight Forces ! Use them

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle