collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 552
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Colin Chapman  (Read 2411 times)

Offline Dare

Colin Chapman
« on: July 06, 2007, 01:12:46 AM »
nice little article on Lotus owner Chapman

http://www.ddavid.com/formula1/chap_bio.htm

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Dare

Re: Colin Chapman
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 01:16:45 AM »
pit stop of Emerson with Colin present,how pit stops
have changed

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JLvRp5g0Ybc
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 01:37:17 AM »
That is a nice balanced biog.  There is none of the gloss you normally get in those articles.

Pit stops have advanced a little since then.  Emerson even has to drive over an air hose on the way out.

Offline Dare

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 02:01:43 AM »
I've read a few and all mention that Clark's death
devaststed Chapmen

Sadly another I read said Cevert's death hurt Ken Tyrell.
One inteeview said that every time he returned to Watkins
Glen he thought of Cevert

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 03:36:24 AM »
Clark and Chapman were like brothers.  Chapman threatened to give up racing after his death and took little interest in it for months afterwards.  It was Graham Hill who held the team together and I think when he won races and the championship Chapman became interested again.

Cevert's death certainly damaged the Tyrrell team.  Stewart reckoned there was little between Cevert and himself in that last season and reckoned that at times Cevert could have beaten him.  Losing Stewart was always going to be a big blow but the succession was in place.  Cevert dying in what would have been JYS's 100th and last race was not only a tragedy but it meant the team had lost both drivers effectively on the same day.  So from being the dominant team Tyrrell went backwards and never recovered.  It is one of the great imponderables about racing to consider what may have happened had he lived. 

Would Ferrari have enjoyed the success it had in the second half of the 70s or would it have struggled for much longer? Bear in mind that prior to Lauda's first championship in 1975 Ferrari hadn't won a driver's title since Surtees in 1964.  It is one of the great myths of motor racing that Ferrari has been successful for most of its existence.  In reality it was successful in the 50s, the second half of the 70s and when Schumacher and co started winning.  Most of the rest of the time it wasn't that special.

I see that youtube has a clip of Cevert's death which must be one of the most awful racing accidents ever.  No way I well ever watch that.  They also have Tom Pryce's accident as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle