collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 553
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Monty Was Right - McLaren Statement  (Read 3824 times)

Offline Chameleon

Monty Was Right - McLaren Statement
« on: August 10, 2007, 01:07:35 AM »
McLaren issued the following statement regarding the alleged radio conversation between Hamilton and Ron Dennis in qualifying for the Hungarian GP:

McLAREN STATEMENT - 9 August 2007

Woking, UK, Thursday 9th August 2007: Over the last few days there has been some inaccurate and misleading reporting of certain events which transpired during the qualification for the Hungarian Grand Prix. Whilst the team would normally not comment on such speculation, Lewis has asked us to correct one important matter of untrue critical commentary. It has been reported that Lewis used the “F word” to Ron Dennis over the team radio immediately after the qualification session had been completed. The team have investigated this claim and reviewed the radio transmissions and we can categorically confirm that Lewis did not use the “F word” at any time during any conversation with the team. The team and Lewis are extremely disappointed that the use of the “F word” appears to have been invented and repeated to the media.

Lewis has requested that the team issues the following statement on his behalf:

“For the record, Fernando and I are fiercely competitive and respectful of each other. We are both ambitious drivers who want to win. However, we are not drivers at war, as has been widely reported.

Although we did not speak on Sunday we have spoken since the weekend and continue to have a professional working relationship. In fact, Fernando and I plan to meet up over the holiday period.

As an individual in my first year in Formula 1 I have done my utmost to conduct myself in a professional and open manner. Of course, I have made mistakes, not least during the last weekend, and those are open to public scrutiny. I have my own regrets and have dealt with matters arising. However, it is disappointing that inflammatory and untrue material is given to the media and published which may damage reputations. This inflammatory material is then commentated on by many others as if it is factual.

Whilst I wouldn't normally communicate through press statements, I felt it important to set this matter straight."

Source: http://www.mclaren.com/latestnews/mclaren.php

Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline rmassart

Re: Monty Was Right - McLaren Statement
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 01:22:27 AM »
The F-word...

Obviously I do not have access to the LH's radio transcript after qualifying so I have to take McLarens word for this. But even reputable papers like the Guardian :-) were running the F-word story (in fact they printed the word in full!). The link is here:

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/08/06/dennis_feels_strain_as_mclaren.html

and the quote from the article:

Hamilton's frustration was evident when he told Dennis on the team radio, "Don't ever f**king do that to me again." Dennis replied, "Don't ever f**king speak to me like that again", before the championship leader ended the conversation by telling his boss to "go f**king swivel".

Assuming he did never used that word I have to say: what a sad state journalism is in. I mean I know you should never trust the papers, but this is like EVERYBODY seemed to have believe he said that word. 

A bit like this story: http://www.guardian.co.uk/frontpage/story/0,,2144756,00.html

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 02:07:58 AM »
Now I'm waiting for the people who say:  "Well, McLaren would say that, wouldn't they"...

Offline romephius

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 02:19:52 AM »
That particular story is very very easy to swallow.....the inflamatory nature of wild speculation and un-educated commentry is always taken at face value, as soon as a simple and easy explanation is given, it's dismissed as a coverup. It is one of the things that truly annoy me beyond belief...  Good Call to Monty on this subject.

sorry if I rambled on this post

Rom

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 03:28:20 AM »
If that's rambling, Rom, what do I do?   :o

I agree with you completely - far too often we hear a story, assume it's true and then rush off to spread the news.  And then any future denials always look suspicious.  It's time we took everything said by the press with a pinch of salt.

Of course, bloggers you can believe!  :D

Offline raindancer

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 07:57:53 AM »
The Statement refers to using only the F*** word and nothing about the fact he disobeyed team orders. The fact is LH disobeyed team orders which resulted in this incident.
Don't Fight Forces ! Use them

Offline johnbull

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 08:56:18 AM »
Both Ron D and LH have statements in Autosport this morning.

LH's statement is written in excellent Ronspeak. My goodness this kid learns fast. 8)

In the meantime my eyes are again trained to the left, in appreciation of #261.

Put it away JB. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 11:03:41 AM »
The Statement refers to using only the F*** word and nothing about the fact he disobeyed team orders. The fact is LH disobeyed team orders which resulted in this incident.

Everyone agrees to that, Rainy.  But it appears that some journalist decided to embellish the story by inventing more than he knew.

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 11:06:05 AM »
Both Ron D and LH have statements in Autosport this morning.

LH's statement is written in excellent Ronspeak. My goodness this kid learns fast. 8)

Ron started out as a mechanic.  I've always thought that he has an unusually high language register for a mechanic...

Offline johnbull

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 02:27:53 PM »
I have to say, I admire his English, and his sarcasm I admire even more. ;)

You miss his interviews on Italian telly. He makes Dave Allen sound like an amateur.

Real value, believe me. And that twit of an Italian commentator has a knack of putting his foot in it. You can see Ron loving every bit of it.
Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 03:33:26 PM »
If only you could record a few of those and stick 'em up in YouTube.  And then Bernie would come along and nick 'em before we could have a look, I suppose.

Blimey, No. 307!   :swoon:

Offline raindancer

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 06:18:22 PM »
This is one forum of ron dennis admirers I guess. Sure the man has a lot of achievements.

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 07:32:53 PM »
To be honest, Rainy, I've never thought about it much until this year.  Then all the trouble started erupting and I had to consider Ron carefully.  So far he stacks up pretty well, in my humble opinion.

Offline johnbull

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 09:04:15 PM »
I have to say I had never given him much thought before either, but on recent performance the guy has balls, and style with it.

One of the advantages of having Italian TV coverage here is listening to people like Ron make absolute mincemeat of the poor humourless Italian commentators and journalists. You can see that smile on his face even before he opens his mouth:

Journalist:  Er Mister Dennis. The Ferrari is very fast today. What you think will happen?

RD: I'll tell you when the race is over. Has kimi had his cornflakes this morning?

Journalist: Sorry mister Dennis I do not understand, can you repeat?

And it goes on. :yahoo:
Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline raindancer

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 10:25:35 PM »
He hasn't handled the latest Spat between ALonso & LH very well !!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle