collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 553
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Thru the years  (Read 4483 times)

Offline Dare

Thru the years
« on: August 26, 2007, 11:22:18 PM »

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Chameleon

Re: Thru the years
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 03:13:44 AM »
Oh, the memories...

One day we will look back on today and remember it in the same way, even though we complain that there's no passing, it's all politics, the rules are all wrong.  Distance gives perspective and "things in the mirror may be closer than they appear."  F1 is the finest of sports and yes, there is still sport in there somewhere.
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline rmassart

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 06:01:56 AM »
Those guys waving the chequered flag, did any of them ever get hit? They were getting a little too close. No wonder they've moved them up into a box!

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 05:28:49 PM »
Okay, this is going to be a "thinking as I type" post so I may ramble and end up saying something completely opposite to how I started out.  Bear with me.

I, too, noticed the bravery (or was it foolhardiness?) of the guy with the chequered flag in that video.  There was one, I think he was the American GP guy, who was famed for his mad flourishes and cavorting at the end of a GP.  It was a flamboyant addition to the sport at a time when danger was accepted as part and parcel of the whole thing.

Nowadays, as Massart has pointed out, we stick the guy in a box so that he can't endanger himself and others.  But we allow the most dangerous moment in motor racing to continue without a thought of how it might be adjusted (well, okay, sometimes someone mentions rolling starts but that would ruin the spectacle).  Yes, the start is unbelievably dangerous and creates more serious pile-ups than any other stage of the race.

I am continually amazed that all the dodging about to gain better traction or position does not cause even more accidents than it does, in fact.  And then we channel this confused bunch of cars travelling at different speeds and three abreast into the first corner, invariably one of the tightest parts of the circuit.  It's no wonder that many drivers end their races right there.

How about if we were to re-introduce something from the past, couple it with something more modern and attend to the safety issue at the same time?  From the old: have a brave guy standing at the front, just ahead of and between the two leading cars, who drops a flag to start the race (no kidding, they really used to do that).  Now, to prevent him being mown down in the ensuing chaos, we paint lines between each grid position that the drivers must not cross, similar to the new idea of a line from the pit exit that cars leaving the pits must not cross on pain of being beaten up by the stewards.

These lines would end at a point say 100 yards beyond the starter's position and we could paint a line across the road there to indicate that from there onwards it was okay to swap lanes and jockey for position.  The cars would be doing a reasonable speed by that time and there would be less chance of accidents caused by speed differentials.  It would be tough on anyone stuck behind a car that stalls on the grid but hey, that's life.  Perhaps the rule would be that you can't pass a stalled car until the starter has removed himself from the road.

It would be more of a spectacle than waiting for a bunch of red lights to go out, you must admit.  Anyway, it's just a thought...

Offline johnbull

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 06:29:23 PM »
I still wouldn't like to be the starter, no matter what they paid me, but I like the idea Chammy.

It's different, and it could bring a bit of excitement. :yahoo:

Can we have Max as starter for the first GP, followed by Bernie, Flav and Todt.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 06:35:55 PM »
There is a similar procedure in short trak oval racing over here. A large traffic cone is placed at the "break" point for the start. All cars must go to the outside of the cone on the start. After the cars pass on the first lap, the cone is pulled off the track by an attached rope. It serves a similar function but without the risk to the flagman.

Can we have Max as starter for the first GP, followed by Bernie, Flav and Todt.

I'd like to see them yanked off the track by an attached rope! ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 07:09:41 PM »
Yes, I thought they might still use that basic format in some forms of racing in the States.  And, with John's nominations for starters, I think we're on to a winner here.  We could even extend invitations for the position beyond the realms of motor sport, starting with politicians and then lawyers and bankers.  The possibilities are endless!

Offline johnbull

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 10:14:40 AM »
Yes, I thought they might still use that basic format in some forms of racing in the States.  And, with John's nominations for starters, I think we're on to a winner here.  We could even extend invitations for the position beyond the realms of motor sport, starting with politicians and then lawyers and bankers.  The possibilities are endless!
Can I have first choice here, please ? :-[
Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 11:05:45 AM »
It's yours, John!  But Max and Bernie have to go first, that's the only stipulation.  ;)

Offline johnbull

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 11:42:56 AM »
Fine by me.

Can I sign on the dotted line? :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 12:41:56 PM »
Sure, John, just sign right here:

.oO(I wouldn't be a Maltese politician right now for all the tea in China...)

Offline johnbull

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 04:00:07 PM »
Sure, John, just sign right here:

.oO(I wouldn't be a Maltese politician right now for all the tea in China...)
Why, what have you been hearing about Maltese politicians? ;)
Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 02:52:05 AM »
To my shame, I know absolutely nothing about Maltese politicians.  I was merely going by the theory that everyone hates the politicians closest to them because they affect one the most.  ;)

Offline johnbull

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 07:46:12 AM »
To my shame, I know absolutely nothing about Maltese politicians.  I was merely going by the theory that everyone hates the politicians closest to them because they affect one the most.  ;)
Very good point.

At the risk of being OT let me just sum up politicians. All of them. Whatever country they mail be in.

You have a lawyer, doctor, architect, someone that's making an absolute packet from his very successful practice. These are all highly intelligent and successful people.

And they quit their practice to become politicians, in the knowledge that even as ministers, with the highest salery, they will only get less than a 1/10 of their original salery.

But of course they all love their country so much. :-[ :-[ :-[

Sorry to have gone OT but it's a very sore point. The word starts with C and it's not carburation, but similar. ;)And there's plenty of it around.
Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 08:49:54 AM »
It seems my guess wasn't far out, John.  :D

There's a little English working class ditty that fits the bill quite nicely, I think:

It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the money
Isn't it a bleedin' shame?

Just a small part of the innate wit and wisdom of my beloved English working class...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle