collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 581
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Hybrids a waste of money??  (Read 3110 times)

Offline Wizzo

Hybrids a waste of money??
« on: August 30, 2007, 03:56:29 PM »

Nearly £1million of public money is being “wasted” by the Govern­ment on hybrid vehicles, it was claimed this week.

Campaign group the TaxPayers’ Alliance says such “green token­ism” has little environ­mental benefit, and the Govern­ment could save £888,000 by switching its 110 hybrids to 1.4-litre petrol Ford Focus cars.

According to the TPA’s figures, the dual-power Toyota Prius is £8,555 more than the Ford and the Honda Civic Hybrid £4,163 extra. Both cars are on the fleet. Policy analyst Matthew Sinclair said: “The money would be better spent on planting trees. There’s only a marginal difference in carbon emis­sions saved from switching to hybrids. But trees breathe in 730kg of carbon dioxide over a lifetime.”

The TPA said the money saved by switching to the Focus could buy 74,028 trees, which would remove more than 54 million kilogrammes of CO2 from the air. Sinclair added: “You would have to drive a hybrid car nearly six million miles before the carbon saving would equal that achieved by planting these trees.”

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Chameleon

Re: Hybrids a waste of money??
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 05:01:53 PM »
The TPA is obviously a bunch of morons. Trees take in carbon dioxide during the day and release it again during the night.  And that's apart from the fact that they haven't factored in the cost of repairing the Ford Focuses every time someone drives one.  They're not called Fix Or Repair Daily for nothing, you know.  :D
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline johnbull

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 05:19:52 PM »
The TPA is obviously a bunch of morons. Trees take in carbon dioxide during the day and release it again during the night.  And that's apart from the fact that they haven't factored in the cost of repairing the Ford Focuses every time someone drives one.  They're not called Fix Or Repair Daily for nothing, you know.  :D
I hadn't heard that one before. :yahoo:
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 05:28:44 PM »
Having owned Fords all my life (I have several at this time) I found out long ago that Ford stands for First On Race Day! :yahoo:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 09:23:36 PM »
We had a Ford Focus until recently (not my choice - I deny all responsibility, having sworn off Fords after my first and last one thirty years ago).  This is an incomplete list of the things that went wrong with it:

The key stuck in the ignition and refused to come out.  This is apparently endemic in the model but the dealer denied it and failed to fix it.

The right wing mirror fell off.

The interior mirror fell off.

One of the rear doors started flying open while the car was moving.  This stopped when the door finally refused to open at all.

The other rear door tried not opening but became bored with that and then started refusing to shut once open.

The glove compartment handle came off in my wife's hand.

Sometimes it would refuse to go into Park.

The final straw was when the steering started locking if you drove through a puddle.  We decided then that it was a death trap.

Ford make good engines but do not understand that a car should last longer than six months before bits start to fall off it.  It is no wonder that they are in deep financial trouble at the moment.  If you want a free Ford Focus, keep following them and pick up the pieces as they drop off.  Eventually you will have enough to assemble a complete car.

I give no guarantees as to how long it will last, however.  ;)

Offline romephius

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 10:09:13 PM »
I am a proud Ford Focus owner, I have driven almost 80,000km in 3 years.  I have only had 2 problems with this car.

1. the cd player stopped playing cd's, Ford replaced it immediately at no cost.
2. the catalytic converter broke a filter.....warranty.

Other than those 2 things this car has been a dream to drive.  My previous car was a Holden (Vauxhal (I think that is right)) and it was never fixed properly, everytime it rained the damn thing would misfire....

that's my 2 cents worth.

Rom

Offline johnbull

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 10:35:16 PM »
The only Fords i've had have been work horses. Ford Transits. We have a company one that's used daily, sleeps out, gets just minimum maintenance - oil and filters etc.

I have to say that the last 2 Transits I have had have been absolutely first class. My first was a Mk 1 with 2.4 V4 petrol engine. I bought it in UK with 96000 miles on the clock, drove it across the continent to Malta in 48 hours non stop, loaded, then ran it here for many years before retiring it.

My next one I bought new in 96 so it's now 11 years old. Used daily to distribute DUNLOP tyres all over the island, used weekends either with model car stuff to race meetings or towing a trailer with racing car. In 11 years it's had 3 sets of tyres, 2 batteries and a new brake master cylinder. Other than that just straightforward servicing. Oh yes, and I recently changed a couple of door locks as the central locking WASN'T !

As this one's getting a bit tired now, I'm looking at getting a new works van but have heard so many horror stories with modern Transits that I'm looking elsewhere.
Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 04:00:34 AM »
Okay, so I got a Friday car.  It happens.  Funny how it happened to me twice and they were both Fords...  ;)

Offline Ian

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 12:16:19 PM »
I've had 3 Fords and had no problems at all, liked them all as well
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 03:15:43 PM »
I've got a 2 year old E-150 van with 170,000 miles on it. The only problem I had was when the sidewall blew out of the left rear tire while I was doing about 85 mph up I-35W south of Dallas. The van was only a few months old. Michelin replaced all 5 tires free of charge.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2007, 03:04:00 AM »
I've got a 2 year old E-150 van with 170,000 miles on it. The only problem I had was when the sidewall blew out of the left rear tire while I was doing about 85 mph up I-35W south of Dallas. The van was only a few months old. Michelin replaced all 5 tires free of charge.

see,Michelin was right about Indy :o

I've got Michelins on my Ford 150 work truck
and their the best tires I've ever owned.

Ford 150 pickup ain't bad either

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline johnbull

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2007, 10:20:13 AM »
EEErrrr........can I put in some
DUNLOP
advertising here. ;) ;) ;) :yahoo:
Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle