collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 550
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1 Secrets available on the internet  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Wizzo

F1 Secrets available on the internet
« on: September 20, 2007, 06:25:34 PM »

Highly-sensitive documents that disclosed secret information about the inner workings of the technical strategies adopted by rival Formula One teams were exposed for all to see on the internet.

The FIA diligently published transcripts from the recent 'spy' hearings on its website including a 115-page document released on 13 September.

But, despite blacking out secret information on the PDF transcript before posting it on the internet, the French-based motor sport council failed to realise that a simple copy and paste of the document into any text-based file revealed the hidden data.

After realising their mistake the FIA removed the document from their website immediately. When asked why the FIA had failed to act quickly to prevent rival F1 teams accessing some of the information allegedly exposed to McLaren in the espionage saga, the spokeswoman said the council was unwilling to provide any further comment.

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline cosworth151

Re: F1 Secrets available on the internet
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 06:30:11 PM »
Once again, F1 proves it is the master of cutting edge techno! :crazy:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 06:52:53 PM »
Actually, it's not funny.  These are the cretins running the sport we love, handing out penalties for imagined infractions of the rules and designing the future of motor sport.  It really is time they were kicked out and a fresh start made with the interests of the sport at heart.
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline raindancer

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 06:37:41 AM »
For all the High Tech involved in F1 this really is a huge goof up. Who will now penalise the FIA ? Don't they know how to publish documents securely !
Don't Fight Forces ! Use them

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 10:46:22 PM »
I've studied information security as part of my degree. As a result, I think I have a fairly good idea how to prevent this sort of recurrence Do you think the FIA would now have a vacancy for someone like me (as might Ferrari, and if the McLaren/Renault thing proves to have substance, McLaren). And if so, would the FIA give me a relocation budget to move within commuting distance of Paris? Information officer at the FIA could be a fun job - and clearly they need one...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 11:10:09 PM »
But that would spoil our fun, Alianora!   >:D
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline johnbull

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 10:46:48 AM »
So long as she doesn't become a Miss Information officer. They have plenty of those already. :yahoo:

I'm not saying that Max is a Miss ofcourse. I wouldn't say a thing like that. ;)
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 02:56:02 PM »
Or a "Diss" Information Officer, which would presumably be an annoyed teenager taking the role...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 05:59:38 PM »
Presumably anyone who accessed this information owes the FIA $100 million.  That will be every team on the grid then.

Interesting quote from McLaren's barrister.
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns19667.html

Ian Mill is a Queen's Counsel, a lawyer appointed to be one of "Her Majesty's Counsel learned in the law". In order to receive such recognition and "take silk" one has to serve as a barrister for at least 10 years and one has to be eminent. Mill is a leading light in commercial litigation, intellectual property, media and entertainment and sports law. A product of Trinity Hall, Cambridge, Mill has been a lawyer since he was called to the bar in 1981 and has been a QC since 1999. He has been joint head of Blackstone Chambers since 2004. At 48 he has served as chairman of the Football Association's appeal board and as chairman of the UK Athletics' disciplinary committee. He has also been on panels for the FA Premier League and the International Cricket Council and had experienced in the world of rugby. In short his professional experience is long and distinguished. He was called in to represent McLaren at the FIA World Motor Sport Council and in his summing up of the case he gave the following opinion.

"The question is not: can McLaren prove that it has not used Ferrari’s confidential information, but rather the opposite," he said. "Is it established, to the standard that the president [Max Mosley] himself suggested was appropriate, and that is a very high standard indeed, that we did use the information? Of course not. How can it? We are left with the suspicion that the president has, based on the slightly theatrical run-through of those pages, as he stood up and showed everyone the two files. The suspicion that there is probably something in there. Fine. Then the response is not bring us back here, let alone throw us out of the championships. Rather, you bring in Mr Whiting [F1 race director Charlie Whiting]. We have issued an invitation, and it remains on the table. Do not draw conclusions against us. Tell Charlie Whiting to go into McLaren to go into the organisation and not return until, having checked it from top to bottom, he is satisfied that no use has occurred. That has not happened; I don’t know why.

"I do, however, know that if you convict us today without the FIA having done that, that will be the grossest misjustice in my professional experience."

Legal hyperbole and theatre? Perhaps, but an interesting remark nonetheless.

Offline raindancer

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 02:06:57 PM »
I think he has legal point. The key question to be pondered is  What has Mclaren been penalised of ? What is the misdeamnour ?
A lot of water has passed under the bridge and the Concorde agreement prohibits any team from approaching the Civil Courts for redressal.
The Agreement needs to be challenged in a proper court first !

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2007, 12:37:06 PM »
Since key elements of the case are already in the Civil Court, I think someone must have driven a coach and horses through the Agreement...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline nightfly56

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2007, 05:36:06 PM »
So will Ferrari be taking the World Motorsports Council to the cleaners for their indiscretion....................................I think Not
 >:D
schizophrenia means you are never alone

Mick

Offline raindancer

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 06:00:55 PM »
Since key elements of the case are already in the Civil Court, I think someone must have driven a coach and horses through the Agreement...
Yes Ali. The Concorde agreement can be challenged both in its entirety as well as its specific clauses and the judgement will be binding. However this act could be the end of F1 and the start of a rival series.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle